If not GC, then what???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry. VW-MAN is an old name.
How about for a MINI Cooper S?

So, now that it looks like AZ might actually stop selling GC, what is the best replacement? I was using M1 5w-30 before switching to GC and would probably go to 0w-40 if I went back. Other oils I'm considering are Amsoil S2k and Redline. I drive a mildy modded MINI Cooper S and ~8k mile OCI's. I plan on keeping the car for a while so I'm looking for an oil that will keep the engine running strong. If Amsoil or Redline turn out to be the best alternatives, where are the best/cheapest places to get them?

There are other great imported oils but you won't get them for $6.19/quart regular and $4.49/quart sale price. More like $8 to $10 per quart or liter.

I may use 5w40 or 5w50 Castrol Syntec until we find abetter alternative. I do not like Mobil 1 0w40. Makes my car loud. Had two UOAs with high lead with Mobil 1.

Did everyone forget about Rotella T synthetic 5w-40? Great SOPUS product for 15 or so bucks a gallon. Sure its Group III but one sweet add. pack. Just thought I'd give another option thats alittle more wallet minded.

I think I'll switch to Amsoil products if GC doesn't work out (I just got started with GC though). They seem to be top of the line, if not the best and appear not to mislead anyone about their products. The salesmen seem very knowledgeable about their products (exhuberance to a fault sometimes) and they support this site. Amsoil will probably get my money next.

There are a couple of threads dealing with this general subject. Several members are recommending Rotella Synthetic. Others are saying Schaeffers. Currently, GC has been referred to as a thick 30, 12.1cst @ 100. RTS is listed as 14.6 @ 100, a true 40 weight. Schaeffer Supreme 7k is 10-12cst @ 100 as listed on their site, and the full synthetic Supreme 9k is 13.5 to 14.5 cst @100. I don't think it is a question of if I will switch, only when. When I do, I'm fairly certain Schaeffer will be in my radar, based on what I've read here, and the company reputation. Giving up the exotic esters in GC will probably be as hard as breaking a 500 dollar a day crack habit though.

After trying three local Autozones, I'm probably just going to go with Motul Etech Lite 0w30 or ELF Excellium 0w30 for my Subaru WRX 2.0 liter turbo. They're a bit expensive but at least I can mail order instead of driving around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back