Jaguar Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the Amsoil site:

2003 JAGUAR S-TYPE 4.2L 8-cyl Engine Code AJ34 (SC)
Engine Oil
Grade 1......API*
Series 2000 Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil
Synthetic 5W-40 European Engine Oil
SAE 10W-40 Synthetic High Performance Motor Oil
SAE 5W-30 XL Synthetic Motor Oil
-30 To 50°F......0W-30, 5W-30, 0W-40, 5W-40

You can stick to your owners manual and use the 5W30XL or the European oil. Or use the 10W40 for up to 25,000 miles or the 0W30 for up to 35,000 miles or 1 year whichever comes first. Change your filter according to the longest interval in your owners manual.

Your car takes 6.4 quarts. If you pay MSRP for the oil, 7 quarts of the XL would be about $42, the Euro $52.50, 10W40 is $50.75, the 0W30 is $69. Since you live in Dallas you can pick up at the warehouse or have shipped to your house for $9. Or you save more by ordering a case or become a Preferred Customer. Contact a site sponsor for details.

Quote:

Quote:

Isn't the Jag S Type based on the Ford Taurus?

The S-Type is built on the Lincoln LS chassis. Different engine and still built in England.

It would be better said that the Lincoln LS uses the Jag Type S platform. The engines are very nearly the same. The LS V8 engine is the Jag engine with only minor differences. It is different from the Ford engines of the same family in that the valve train is very different.

Personally, I think it would have made more sense for the Lincoln to have been made with a little more Lincoln in it, namely using the Mark VIII engine which is shared with the Cobra.

Back to the question at hand. A ten thousand mile oil change interval using synthetic oil as suggested in your manual is not out of line. If you are not fully at ease with that, get an oil analysis at about five thousand miles and see how it is holding up and go from there.

By the way, the Jag engine is very similar to the Mark VIII engine. The biggest difference being the valvetrain. The Jag engine is built in a Ford engine plant. Looking at both engines side by side and the relationship is obvious. The Jag has many exclusive details compared with the Mark VIII or Cobra engine, but is nearly identical to the Lincoln LS.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Isn't the Jag S Type based on the Ford Taurus?

The S-Type is built on the Lincoln LS chassis. Different engine and still built in England.

It would be better said that the Lincoln LS uses the Jag Type S platform. The engines are very nearly the same. The LS V8 engine is the Jag engine with only minor differences. It is different from the Ford engines of the same family in that the valve train is very different.

Personally, I think it would have made more sense for the Lincoln to have been made with a little more Lincoln in it, namely using the Mark VIII engine which is shared with the Cobra.

Back to the question at hand. A ten thousand mile oil change interval using synthetic oil as suggested in your manual is not out of line. If you are not fully at ease with that, get an oil analysis at about five thousand miles and see how it is holding up and go from there.

By the way, the Jag engine is very similar to the Mark VIII engine. The biggest difference being the valvetrain. The Jag engine is built in a Ford engine plant. Looking at both engines side by side and the relationship is obvious. The Jag has many exclusive details compared with the Mark VIII or Cobra engine, but is nearly identical to the Lincoln LS.

The Lincoln Mark8 had a 4.6L DOHC V8 motor in all its years 1993-1998. How is this a similar motor to whats in the jaguar s type? As far as I know those Jags came with a 3.0 v6 and a 4.0L V8.

Apples and oranges compared to a ford modular motor.

As for the guy saying the jag is a 75k car needs to know that the S type is the entry level jag sedan, it will fetch around 20 grand used.

The Jag 4.0 and 4.2 is a dirivitive of the Ford DOHC modular engine. The main difference is the valve train and displacement. The blocks are nearly identical, as are the timing covers and cam covers. The Jag engine is built in a Ford plant. Actually both Jag engines are. The V6 in the US (making the Brits unhappy) and the V8 in europe.

Like I said, Jag made many enhancements. Jag got to taylor the engine more to their liking.

Wrong.

The AJ-V8 is not derived from the Ford modular motor; it was a clean sheet design by Jaguar. The Ford 3.9 V8, the Land Rover V8, and tbe Aston Martin V8 were built off the Jaguar AJ-V8. The AJ-V6 is derived from the Ford DuraTec and is US assembled, but has different heads and valvetrain and is more of a premium engine.

Reddwarf,

Jaguar has recommended a 10K mile / one year service interval for every Jaguar I have ever owned going back to 1989. I always changed mine every 3K / 3-4 months as I don't care much about the cost of oil.

For your car, with that supercharged V8 engine, in that tight little engine bay, I would definitely use synthetic oil, and change it every 3-4 months.

I am pretty familiar with the S Type R and came within a gnats rear end of purchasing a new one in 2004, but bought my GTO instead. Later I felt guilty about buying myself a new car and went back and bought the wife an Xj8. I change her oil at about 2K miles / 2 months with synthetic because of all of her short trips.

Enjoy your hot rod!

If you want someone else to change your oil I'd recommend taking your car to Wally World where you can get a Mobil 1 synthetic oil change for ~ $42. If you want to do it yourself you can find decent synthetic oils at Wally world or any auto parts store for a lot less. If you're going to do synthetic and use a shorter OCI Wally World Supertech Synth is available for less than $14/ 5 quarts and should give you very respectable results.

Whoops, just realized you had an S type and not an S type R.

I'd still change it every 3-4K with synthetic; oil is cheap.

Quote:

FYI, an '03 Type S is probably worth around $20k.

I think these are absolutely beautiful sedans and I've seen them dirt cheap on eBay, leading me to consider one. Doing some internet search, they seem to be a reliability disaster. Particularly the ZF auto trans.
http://www.thelurch.com/
So I'd be all over some trans maintenance also.
Good luck!

Quote:

Wrong.

The AJ-V8 is not derived from the Ford modular motor; it was a clean sheet design by Jaguar. The Ford 3.9 V8, the Land Rover V8, and tbe Aston Martin V8 were built off the Jaguar AJ-V8. The AJ-V6 is derived from the Ford DuraTec and is US assembled, but has different heads and valvetrain and is more of a premium engine.

Absolutely wrong. The clean sheet of paper engine ended up not being used by Jag. It was another inline 6 and briefly saw service in Astin Martin.

Pull your head out of the sand and look at the two engines. The similarity is extremely evident.

Jag doesn't really want people to think of their engine as being related to Ford so they emphasize their input in the development of the enhancements. Both are world class engines so it is not an insult to Jag, and Jag did a great job on the enhancements for the final product.

[quote
Pull your head out of the sand and look at the two engines. The similarity is extremely evident.

I'm not wrong and my head is not in the sand.
smirk.gif

I own a Jaguar AJ-V8 engine. I also own the V12, and owned two AJ6 engines, which was the last Jaguar inline 6 and their last clean sheet inline 6 design. The AJ16 used from 1995 to 1997 was a refinement of the AJ6.

I've also owned a modular V8 in a 1997 Expedition, that I would still have but for giving it to the kids to pull their boat.

The Expedition is a SOHC edition of the modular family. There is less similarity. Look at the late Navagator DOHC engine and then look at your Jag.

Owner's manual will always be a definitive guide to maintenance.

BTW, is your 4.2L V-8 non-supercharged or supercharged as in S-Type R model?
Quote:

I took the car to a mechanic shop (not a dealer) that works on Jaguar, Land Rover, and other British cars. They recommend I use regular oil and change every 3,000 miles. Or, if I insist on synthetic then change it every 5,000 miles.

How do you feel about your local dealer maintenance department? My local Ford dealer have an excellent maintenance department I trust implicitly. I would not trust another dealer as much however, as some are great and some are dodgy. YMMV!

It is the V 8, 4.0L model. Not the R model. I could not afford the R
frown.gif

I checked with the two dealers in town and they both want far more than $125 to change the oil. One dealer quoted me $95 and that was for Dino oil.

Quote:

Quote:

FYI, an '03 Type S is probably worth around $20k.

I think these are absolutely beautiful sedans and I've seen them dirt cheap on eBay, leading me to consider one. Doing some internet search, they seem to be a reliability disaster. Particularly the ZF auto trans.
http://www.thelurch.com/
So I'd be all over some trans maintenance also.
Good luck!

I saw this website before I bought the Jag. I had a lot of prejudice against Jags. Always loved the designs but the reliabilty was awful. I found far more positive research than negative. I'm loth to say it, but Ford put quality into Jaguar. I bought mine used in 2005. It now has 53k and so far there have been no issues with it. It is very fun to drive. I love to detail it and even received high marks at a Concours.

One of the first car toys I ever had was a model of the XK120 or XK140 roadster, with a spare tire that you could replace with the tiny tool kit in the boot. And my favorite assembly kit was the 1/8 scale E-Type coupe from Monogram.

So I've always been fascinated with Jaguars. My regular mechanic works on them too, and says they're great. But every time I get tempted and start my research, I hear all these reliability horror stories and tales of lousy resale values. What a shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back