Jaguar Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please forgive me for asking a newbie question. I’ve searched the forum and read a number of threads but have not been successful at fully researching my question.

I bought a used 2003 Jaguar S Type V8. The manual says to use synthetic oil and change every 10,000 miles or 12 months.

I took the car to a mechanic shop (not a dealer) that works on Jaguar, Land Rover, and other British cars. They recommend I use regular oil and change every 3,000 miles. Or, if I insist on synthetic then change it every 5,000 miles.

I used the manual’s advice and said I wanted synthetic. They put in Castrol Syntec 10-30 and changed me $125.00! The charge for the oil was $67.50 (6 quarts).

At these prices I think I’ll start changing my own oil. But, what oil to use? Synthetic or no? Change 10,000 miles or less?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

And also you should be able to get 10k between oil changes, if it starts using oil or the oil gets so dirty you can't stand it, try Motorcraft blend and change it more often.

Of course it's best to do your own work, but...
Some luxury and exotic cars are a PITA to work on. (No idea what its like to change oil on a Jag.)

Find a place that's "ok" with you bringing in your own oil. Castrol Syntec shouldn't cost more than $7/qt.

Castrol Syntec is about a 4-5 dollar a quart oil at walmart the last time I checked.

So there's 30 bucks in oil.

Oil filter is 10-15 bucks at the very most.

Looks like they charged you an hour labor to change the oil.

I'd learn to do it yourself at rates like that.

Just to clarify, $7/qt is the MOST you should pay for Syntec. (Or any typical over-the-counter synthetic.)

Definitely do some shopping and you'll find better prices. Excluding sales and rebates - Walmart generally has the best prices here.

Quote:

The manual says to use synthetic oil and change every 10,000 miles or 12 months.

DO NOT LISTEN TO THE MANUAL.

3000 mile oil changes on dino or 5000 on full synthetic.

The dealer ripped you off big time on the Syntec.

Last edited:
Merkava, you are crazy!

BTW it was not a dealer that he went to.

ReddWarf,

This is the age old question. However, 3k OCI's are a Jiffy lube marketing gimmick. In reality, OCI requirements vary based on the particular engine. In addition, some oils last longer than others. Amsoil makes extremel long lasting oil (up to 35k miles) Mobil 1 EP is also rated to last very long (15k miles). Other synthetics dont advertise that they last longer, just that they protect better.

All in all 10k OCI's with synthetic are not that outrageous. Good luck on finding a more reasonable mechanic. Even the dealer would probably not charge that much.

Congrats on the new ride!
wink.gif

As far as your oil of choice and your oil change interval, there is no one size fits all formula. It depends on how, where, how often you drive your car, how many miles per year you put on it, and how long you plan to keep it.

I drive a LOT of short (less than 2 mile) trips, and put about 1200 miles a month on my car. Due to the multiple short trips i choose to change my oil at least every 3000 miles.

If you drive in optimal conditions and mostly highway miles at moderate speeds in relatively flat terrain, you may get away with 10,000 mile oil change intervals. However most of us dont drive in conditions like that. I would think a 5000 mile interval with a decent oil would be a good place to start.

Castrol is "official" oil for your car. Castrol Syntec Blend would be a good fit at a reasonable price and be fine for 4000-5000 mile oil changes.

The believe the recommended viscosity in the US for that engine for all temps is 5w30. However 0w30, 5w40, 10w30 can also be used. I'd be curious what viscosity your owners manual recommends?

If it were MY car, i would do a couple of short interval oil changes using regular inexpensive dino oil to 'clean up' the engine. However you already have expensive synthetic oil in there, so get your money worth out of it
wink.gif

For your next oil change I would go with Rotella T Synthetic 5w-40. It is a great oil and more reasonably priced and you can easily go 10k plus with synthetic. Best of luck with everything.

Thanks very much for all the advice. I intend to do the oil change myself now. I've done some research and as I understand it the process is easy. There is a shield under the car that one removes and then everything is right there.

I checked with a local Quick Oil change place and they wanted $70 to change the oil (They said they would use Royal Purple I think).

So, next oil change time I'll shop around for some Castrol synthtic or comparable brand and do it myself. Just like when I was in in my salad years!

Thanks again.

Quote:

Please forgive me for asking a newbie question. I’ve searched the forum and read a number of threads but have not been successful at fully researching my question.

I bought a used 2003 Jaguar S Type V8. The manual says to use synthetic oil and change every 10,000 miles or 12 months.

Owner's manual will always be a definitive guide to maintenance.

BTW, is your 4.2L V-8 non-supercharged or supercharged as in S-Type R model?

Quote:

I took the car to a mechanic shop (not a dealer) that works on Jaguar, Land Rover, and other British cars. They recommend I use regular oil and change every 3,000 miles. Or, if I insist on synthetic then change it every 5,000 miles.

Defo find another shop. Bunch of wankers.
crazy.gif

Quote:

I used the manual’s advice and said I wanted synthetic. They put in Castrol Syntec 10-30 and changed me $125.00! The charge for the oil was $67.50 (6 quarts).

At these prices I think I’ll start changing my own oil. But, what oil to use? Synthetic or no? Change 10,000 miles or less?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Listen to your owners manual.

How do you feel about your local dealer maintenance department? My local Ford dealer have an excellent maintenance department I trust implicitly. I would not trust another dealer as much however, as some are great and some are dodgy. YMMV!

Quote:

Quote:

The manual says to use synthetic oil and change every 10,000 miles or 12 months.

DO NOT LISTEN TO THE MANUAL.

3000 mile oil changes on dino or 5000 on full synthetic.

The dealer ripped you off big time on the Syntec.

smirk.gif

Merkava, you should know better than to post this rubbish. Always listen to your owners manual. It's the definitive guide to maintenance of your vehicle.

Quote:

Quote:

Merkava, you are crazy!

You can call me crazy all you want, but if I'm spending $75,000+ on a Jaguar, I'm keeping that oil clean; even if that means wasting oil in your mind.

Why not change it every day then? That ought to keep it even cleaner.

FYI, an '03 Type S is probably worth around $20k.

Quote:

Why not change it every day then? That ought to keep it even cleaner.

That's alright Pete, you go ahead and keep changing your BMW's oil at every 19,000 miles; your Fe numbers are probably around 1700 parts per million.

C'mon. I never said that's what I would do. You're referring to a previous thread where I was trying to justify someone who follows the owner's manual. I never said I recommend doing it. I was just explaining a typical owner behavior, which you consider clueless. We here on BITOG are oil freaks, but it doesn't mean the rest of the world has to be as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back