What to do on a C280 4 matic lease

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys think, I have leased a new C280 MB last month. I have put over 3k miles on the car so far but the oil change interval is 13k miles... Should I dump this fill or drive it until 13k miles on factory fill. It is a lease but I hate treating my or any vehicle this way.

When was the car built? I don't keep up with MB to know when the new C280 came out. You should be able to find this on the door jamb.

I guess you do a lot of highway driving? I would probably change at 5k miles and do a UOA.

Has it used any oil yet? Make sure to keep the oil topped up.

We have an 03 E320 with about 70,000 miles now. I did a UOA a while back which you can search for. You will see that the oil holds up well. I don't know how much oil the crankcase in your engine holds, but it probably is something like 8 quarts.

If this is going to bother you, then do an oil change at 5000 to 7000 miles, and then stick with an annual oil change or 13k miles. If you are going to do the oil change at the dealership, be prepared to pay close to $200. If you do it yourself, it still will cost you about $80 to $90 just for the oil and the filter.

Do a UOA like benjamming recommended after the long drain interval or 13k miles to reassure yourself.

Don't worry too much about it. Life is short. Enjoy your car! The car is not eternal, especially with all the electronics in it making repairs after about 15 years of age or less cost prohibitive.

Unless you plan on purchasing the car at lease end, I would just perform recommended scheduled maintainence and nothing more. That way you keep your car operating costs or cost of leasing the lowest. You are not obligated to do anymore.

$80-90??

Does this car require synthetic or something?? Otherwise I'd just Motorcraft at $2.26/qt and a decent filter...

For 8 qts, should come out to around $25 if you change it yourself...

I agree, its not your car, unless you want to buy it out afterwards for some reason.

Just make sure the maintenance is done, and do the bare minimum.

Quote:

Unless you plan on purchasing the car at lease end, I would just perform recommended scheduled maintainence and nothing more. That way you keep your car operating costs or cost of leasing the lowest. You are not obligated to do anymore.

For the one year interval, MB in the US recommends Mobil 1 0W-40. So 8 quarts at the current approx price $7/qt is $56. I bet the dealer charges somewhere close to $30 for the filter. You can order the Mann oil filter online for about $18 plus shipping. It is a "fleece" filter made of some type of polyester media which is white and fuzzy and made in Germany (the dollar is quite weak in relation to the Euro).

I would simply follow the factory schedule in this case. MB uses a big sump, high end synthetic oil and a special oil filter. There is no good reason to change the oil any more often than the factory calls for in your situation. No, you don't need UOAs or readings of the tea leaves by gurus.

I agree with the others. I would not do anything beyond the factory recommended maintenance on a leased vehicle.

Its a lease. If you don't plan on keeping it, then do the least maintenance required. I also don't see the point of a UOA on a leased vehicle.

If you plan on keeping it or some neighbor/relative might buy it, by all means start a maintenance program. I personally don't care for eternal OCI's. Some UOAs have not looked too good with OLM's and extended intervals. So, do an early change out
Also, keep the oil level topped off. Check every couple thou and top off using a quality synthetic oil.

Personally I would run factory synthetic oil for a while. If I were anticipating purchasing the vehicle at lease end I would consider replacing it sometime before the 1st warranty scheduled interval just because I think it is a good idea in general... $100 spent on a $15+?K engine is not outside my level of OC.

If you do not anticipate buying the car I agree with just making sure the required maintenance is properly performed. In the long run it probably doesn't make any real difference, BUT.....

Enjoy!

p.s. What motor is in a C280, anyway? I thought it went C240, C350?

Ok I guess I will just keep the oil tapped off and run it to 13k miles. I am not going to change the oil my self not going to pay them 150-200 plus bucks to change the oil when I can go for 1/2 the cost or less and and about 15 min.
The C280 has a 3 liter V6 at 228HP, they started putting them in in 06 I belive. The C240 is no longer only the C230 which gets the small V6 now. Then you have the C350 available but not worth the price. Its a nice engine and car really have been enjoying it. Took it to Niagara Falls two days after we got it with the 4matic the snow was a none event...

Thanks Guys.

Quote:

I agree with the others. I would not do anything beyond the factory recommended maintenance on a leased vehicle.

As someone who is always the second owner of every vehicle I've ever had, I'd like to speak for the rest of us when I say that doing a little extra would certainly be appreciated down the road....
smile.gif

www.fleetfilter.com will sell you the fleece oil filter for less than $10. It comes in a NAPA box but the filter is branded MANN, comes with all the oil seals and works fine in my SL500. I believe your car uses. the same filter. I would stick with a motor oil rated MC 229.5 if you are going to go the 13,000 mile intervals. Mobil 1 0w-40 meets this spec as well as one of the ELF branded oils. Have fun with the new toy.

Thanks, I will do it my self when its time, I might change it around 5k or so with M1 0w40 and then every 10k as I do on my other cars. Thanks for the link going to order 3 filters some time this week. I do love the car, much better then the Jag xtype with the sport package.
throwroses.sml

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back