Not open for further replies.
This oil has been in use since 12/2005 and is mainly short
trips. That is why i change the TP in the Motor Guard every
2K miles.
Would like to know if you would drain it according to the
UOA or keep running it.
Thank You
EscapeUOA-1.jpg

Why are you changing the filter every 2k miles? With the makeup oil you are adding, you can go longer with this oil. Possibly out to 10k miles under these same conditions.

If you do deviate from adding 2.5qts of make up oil, then the oil might not make it as far. Report looks excellent btw. LOL.

We are beginning to see alot of positive Formula Shell UOAs. I have the opinion that the SOPUS lineup of Shell, Pennzoil and Quaker State are at the top of the fast production oil brands quality/performance/best value heap right now.

Quote:

We are beginning to see alot of positive Formula Shell UOAs. I have the opinion that the SOPUS lineup of Shell, Pennzoil and Quaker State are at the top of the fast production oil brands quality/performance/best value heap right now.

Yeah, I agree. I keep eyeing the shelves of FS at Target and a couple other places. You can have it in this area for $1.59-1.79 per quart, where even Havoline and Superflow are at least a half a buck more.

Good report, gner, I'd be happy with that. No reason to consider using anything more expensive -- your engine plainly likes this stuff.
cheers.gif

At one of the Walmarts near me it is still 1.28 a quart. Not too bad considering that every other brand name oil is over 2 dollars a quart now. I bought about 15 quarts, may try it in the Matrix next oil change and see how it holds up in Toyota engines
smile.gif

Goose
patriot.gif

I'm pretty sure that Canadian Tire's 5w20 is the same oil as this, since Shell is the one who makes their oils. And CT 5w20 is most likely going into my wife's Honda on the next oil change, so I'm happy to see it perform very well here. Hopefully it does the same in my wife's car.

When it's on sale, CT 5w20 is the lowest priced 5w20 up here.

This has been repeated often but what evidence do we have to prove this? Often times something is repeated often enough that it is accepted as fact.
The issue I have is that it does not seem logical to do what is often said. You canbuy a packaged additive pack from a supplier like Lubrizol or oronite and blend with the recomended base oils and get a ILSAC oil so long as the appropriate quality controls are and licensing agreements are followed.
If the additives are cut then the performance would be compromised. Each formulation has parameters and allow ables when submitted for the GF4 certification. To Change the additive package/formulation from that parameter would require another very expensive set of sequence tests to label that oil as ILSAC.
Perhaps Ashland has a generic storebrand formulation, perhaps not.

Personaly I see little wrong with store brands and this SOPUS Shell brand oil is looking really good.
The blender cannot just arbitrarily cut the additives in a batch without risking their licensing.

Quote:

This has been repeated often but what evidence do we have to prove this? Often times something is repeated often enough that it is accepted as fact.
The issue I have is that it does not seem logical to do what is often said. You canbuy a packaged additive pack from a supplier like Lubrizol or oronite and blend with the recomended base oils and get a ILSAC oil so long as the appropriate quality controls are and licensing agreements are followed.
If the additives are cut then the performance would be compromised. Each formulation has parameters and allow ables when submitted for the GF4 certification. To Change the additive package/formulation from that parameter would require another very expensive set of sequence tests to label that oil as ILSAC.
Perhaps Ashland has a generic storebrand formulation, perhaps not.

Personaly I see little wrong with store brands and this SOPUS Shell brand oil is looking really good.
The blender cannot just arbitrarily cut the additives in a batch without risking their licensing.

It's certainly possible for them to cut them to a point yet still meet standards. Its just that the name brand product may simply be better. Just possible...

It's also possible that the store brand product could be better.
I am tired of dealing with supposition and possibilities. I want facts. Not hypothesis, not group think, facts.

And of course, this is just one datapoint, but let's face it, it's an impressive one. Over 6k miles on an "entry level" dino, all wear metals are miniscule, AND the insolubles at trace levels. By comparison, we had folks asserting that GC had a "weak add pack" for a couple years. That seems to have died out as probably 98% of the UOAs on that product come back stellar. There are few UOAs on this oil, but the couple I recall were good. I'd use the stuff. EDIT--sorry, w/r/t the insols, I forgot about the bypass, but still, a completely sound report.

Last edited:
Quote:

It's also possible that the store brand product could be better.
I am tired of dealing with supposition and possibilities. I want facts. Not hypothesis, not group think, facts.

The proof is buried in old posts/threads here - the ones that had post-editing allowed - prior to the new forums that now exist. There's a couple there comparing Citgo to the Meijer house brand -- plus at least one comparison of Napa and Valvoline.

But I haven't seen any recent ones Bryan. Things have been slow over at the VOA/UOA boards involving the budget-priced oils.

Quote:

Usually store brand names have weaker add-packs than the original.

I'm even more anxious to run this oil now then, just out of curiosity to see how it compares to this UOA (in terms of additive composition) If my UOA doesn't work out, I'll try something different. I'm at the point now with my wife's car where I feel like experimenting with all kinds of low cost 5w20s to see how they perform. I really don't think I'll be shortening the life of her Honda engine one bit no matter what oil I run.

Looking forward to your UOA Patman! Those Canadian oils (including Tech 2000) intrigue me enough that I may stop at Canadain Tire or Windsor Wal(China)mart during my next visit there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back