What will a new battery measure with a Voltmeter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering approx how many volts will a brand new car battery measure when tested with a voltmeter ??
dunno.gif

A new or battery in good shape ,I would hope we are talking car battery ,is 13.2 volts ,which is 2.2 volts per cell.

You claim that a 12 V car battery that is not connected to a running alternator will produce over 12 V? That's impossible.

Quote:

You claim that a 12 V car battery that is not connected to a running alternator will produce over 12 V? That's impossible.

What are you talking about again? He didn't say one way or the other. Plus i'm not sure what you mean, that the car has to be running for the battery to get over 12 volts im assuming? Cause my 6 year old battery that sat overnight measured 12.6 volts when I tested it in the morning.

Mori,

What started out as a 12 volt battery in the '60s has evolved into 13.2-13.6 volt batteries. A battery that only shows 12 volt on my shop computerized battery tester ($360.00) is listed as replace or recharge dependent on cranking amps as also listed.

Bob

I wouldn't know about the '60s. So one cell in a modern 12 V battery puts out over 2 V?

With the engine off I measure 11.9 V. With the engine running, I get 14.2 V. That's in line with my previous cars.

Last edited:
Okay, I checked the 6 year old battery in my car.

Ignition off: 12.89 V
Ignition on: 12.47 V
Engine on: 14.04 V (dithering ca +/-0.15)

I knew I couldn't recall numbers well, but it's worse than I thought.
tongue.gif

Alright, I thought my Auto Textbook said a six cell automotive battery should measure 2.1v per cell, thus 12.6v when fully charged.

???

There was raining and hailing intermittently all day. Some houses on Telegraph Hill had to be evacuated last night when the hillside gave way. I saw two coons hiding under my neighbor's car in the garage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back