no GC at autozone...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an autozone west of Boston, MA. I needed about a third of a quart to top off my Saab 9-5...but no GC was there. There were no slots on the shelf for it either. I grabbed a quart of Castrol 5w-40 and used that (the car requires an ACEA A3/B3 oil).

Is this a trend or just a quirk of this particular store?

I hope this isn't a trend , re: "AZ stops stocking GC". (or the end). That would really be lousy. I've read abt. other stores recently stopping carrying it too. Stores in my area still have an ample supply. (Wouldn't be the first time though that the supply / demand game was played by retailers.

Some smaller AZ stores never carried GC. Then there are recent posts that indicate it is being discontinued in some regions. It is hard to say which you ran into.

Quote:

By the way, that Castrol Syntec 5W-40 is fine for any European gas engine.

It looks like I'll have a choice between the Castrol 5w-40 or M1 0w-40 for my car, in terms of easy-to-get oils. Either one should work fine. The local specialty shop that sold Redline is out of business, so my plan to switch to Redline 5w30 is on hold unless I do some mail ordering.

I'll have to go back in and check tomorrow, but I got the last 6 quarts of 0w30 today at AZ. I pulled 6 qts and I ran into the 6 year old (M01) American made stuff that was in the shelf 6 months ago when I bought my other 6 quarts.

EDIT: since I dont remember how to edit posts on here.

I didn't bother to pull the american 0w30 to see if there what was behind it, but I will tomorrow. They looked like it was close to stocking time since they were out of other cases of the other grades of castrol and such

Yeah, I checked for it at the AZ here when I needed some turn signal bulbs. None. No empty slots on the shelfs either.
frown.gif

Same here. Local (Maryland) AutoZone doesn't have any GC. If we can't get this oil anymore, what is the the next best?

For a readily available oil here in the US, probably Mobil 1 0W-40. Hopefully, XOM is not going to mess with this formulation. I just bought a case of French ELF 0W-30 on eBay for about $6.00 per liter delivered which was a good deal as most ELF dealers are selling this for $10 to $12 per liter.

My BMW does not like Mobil 1 0w40. The engine seems louder and my two UOA had higher lead than I would like. Also many feel Mobil 1 0w40 shears out of grade quickly. This is why I went with Castrol 0w30.

I may stay with Castrol and use either Syntec 5w40 or 5w50 (my car did fine with both) assuming they still have it available??

Quote:

Same here. Local (Maryland) AutoZone doesn't have any GC. If we can't get this oil anymore, what is the the next best?

Call your local distributor. As long as Castrol continues to import it here, it can be had.

Quote:

My BMW does not like Mobil 1 0w40. The engine seems louder and my two UOA had higher lead than I would like. Also many feel Mobil 1 0w40 shears out of grade quickly. This is why I went with Castrol 0w30.

My car didnt like the m1 0w40 either.

Weird I checked the AZ 20 minutes north of me today, and all they had was 6 bottles of the worthless American 0w30. It looks as if someone else was there looking as a few quarts were on other stacks. I didn't get a chance to look at the local one today since they were back there stacking oil, and I didnt want to look like an idoit pulling a bunch of oil off the shelves

I emailed my local Castrol Distributor today to find out if I could order several cases of the GREEN. Haven't heard back though. AND no I didnt ask for GC Green, asked for the specific range of bottle codes in Castrol syntec 0W-30

Quote:

Autozones that I know have it:

Woodyard Road
St Barnabas Road
Rte 210
Good Hope Road (DC, may be a road right near it)

Uhh ohh, don't raid my GC stashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back