Pennzoil 5w30, 4,394, 05 Pontiac Sunfire

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my Sister's 2005 Pontiac Sunfire (2.2L Ecotec 140HP)

Oil Use Interval: 4,394 Miles
Oil Type & Grade: Pennzoil 5w30
Makeup Oil Added: 0 qts.

Miles on Car: 41,496
Sample Date: 1/22/07

Comments from Blackstone: Paul, looks like your sister has been taking good care of her Sunfire. The universal averages column shows typical wear from this type of engine after 4400 miles on the oil. This oil was run just about that same interval, and wear generally read lower than averages. Insolubles (oil oxidation due to heat, use and blow-by) were quite low at .1%, showing excellent oil filtration and complete combustion. The trace of fuel is just from city driving, around *******, to work and back, etc. Looks like a nice engine and good maintenance. She could run the oil 5000 miles.

Aluminum---2(2)
Chromium---1(0)
Iron-------8(11)
Copper-----3(2)
Lead-------0(0)
Tin--------1(1)
Molybdenum-42(62)
Nickel-----1(0)
Silver-----0(0)
Titanium---0(0)
Potassium--1(1)
Boron------2(37)
Silicon----2(4)
Calcium----2153(2227)
Magnesium--59(146)
Phosphorus-652(738)
Zinc-------732(858)
Barium-----0(0)

Sus Viscosity 210F - 56.8 (56 to 62)
Flashpoint in F - 355 (greater than 365)
Fuel Percentage - .5 (less than 2.0)
Water Percentage - 0.0 (less than .1)
Insolubles Percentage - .1 (less than .7)

This is my sister's 2005 Pontiac Sunfire. She drives it like a bat out of #@$%!. Upon startup she floors it and whizzes onto the freeway. The oil was black as tar when I took it out but... as this proves - color had nothing to do with how well the oil was protecting.

She recently had her engine light come on - threw a code that I checked online - Coolant not getting warm enough. I noticed her engine temperature was a good 30F colder than mine. (155F to bout 185F - my car) But the day she took it to the dealer - the engine light turned off (the next day at home it turned back on).

Anyway, I was surprised at how well her UOA was considering she doesn't let her engine warm up and she drives like she wants a speeding ticket
smile.gif

What was the TBN? Looks similar to the Amsoil report you just posted?

I didn't get a TBN on her UOA. I asked her if she wanted a UOA and she handed me a $20.
smile.gif

She had GC 0w30 in before this oil fill - I didn't get UOA on that. Then I put this run of Pennzoil 5w30 in. She is now running some TropArtic 5w30 Semi-synthetic.

Good uoa also.
thumbsup.gif

I think her driving habits are not helping the Iron and flashpoint.
dunno.gif

But, Si is excellent and Insol is perfect.
thumbsup.gif

Is her car a manual too?

These engines are excellent! (Goose!
grin.gif
)

For oil that can be bought for a buck or less a quart, excellent.
approved.gif

What filters BTW? Both hers and yours?

Take care, Bill
patriot.gif

Anyone concerned with the fact that new batches of Pennzoil are showing very low moly numbers...now around 40 - 50 ppm? There was another UOA of Penn. posted here a few weeks ago that also showed this. I agree Pennzoil still shows great numbers, but the add pack has changed significantly....

offtopic.gif

Lol...how did you know I'd be looking at this Bill
grin.gif

The HHR purchase may be off for a bit...test drove one last Friday and ehhhh....not really sure now. Matrix just needs some things checked out (noisy belt tensioner I think) but I might go for 300K on it
ooo.gif

Then again if even a better deal comes out on the HHR I may be tempted...who knows..I change my mind like thewind blows lol

btw nice report OH
thumbsup.gif

Goose
patriot.gif

I thought this UOA looked like Pennzoil Platinum, NOT regular yellow bottle....in another thread, Origin, you say this:

"Either way, looking forward to your PP UOA. I keep hearing a lot of good things about that oil. My sister ran that in her 2.2L Ecotec and said it felt really heavy (compared to the Trop Artic fill afterwards) but... she drives that thing like it is a race car anyway."

Not trying to 'catch you out' on anything, I was just worried that Pennzoil had taken all the goodies (100+ moly count) out of their regular oil!

Mystery solved!

OH NO!!!
WHY does moly have to be on descend on every oil for gosh sakes
Now for moly I have to buy HM oil.. Thanks Pennzoil.
You da not-so bold man anymore.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
nono.gif
nono.gif
nono.gif
nono.gif
nono.gif
rugerman.gif
rugerman.gif
spankme.gif
bop.gif

It is a very emotional time for me at the moment, just realizing my loss. Acceptance comes later. After I have moved on.. to another oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back