Chrysler A606...which car to buy and fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at the purchase of one of three LH sedans which are having transmission issues and I'm taking the gamble that one of them needs MINOR work as opposed to an entire rebuild.

The first car is a 1994 Concorde with 172,000 miles and the owner states that 1st gear is the only working gear. Reverse doesn't even work. Car is happiest under 10mph but owner is still driving it wide open to work and back. This car is down to $350 and after the above details were released to me, I don't want it anymore. However if it gets cheap enough I may consider buying it for parts.

The second car is a 1996 Intrepid with 155,000 miles. The owner says it has transmission problems as second and reverse are the only working gears but first works when it is cold. So it's in limp mode. Could need an ATF+4 fluid flush, a solenoid pack, or speed sensors, or one of the cheap easy fixes on AllPar. Car is $300 down from $500 and the seller is not returning my emails but keeps reposting it for sale every day on CL. I'm thinking this is my best bet.

The third car is a 1997 Intrepid coming for sale at an abandoned car auction. The only reason I know it needs transmission work is because I looked up the license plate on PublicData and contacted the owner. He says he abandoned it for a flat tire but that it would not shift into fourth and shifted late into third, as if it was in "3" instead of "D", so he didn't bother going back for it. I estimate it will sell for $300-$400 at auction a week from Wednesday. He says he will give me the keys for it if I come pick them up from him after winning the car, that saves me $50-$75 for a locksmith to come cut one. Owner says he thinks the car has 194,000 miles. I'm thinking the shift linkage needs adjustment.

So I'm voting for the 1996 Intrepid for $300. I know I can drive it home, and I'd already have it if the seller would answer his darned emails. Second choice would be the 1997 Intrepid, but only if I can buy it for cheap, knowing that it darn well could have some issues other than the mentioned tire and a shifter adjustment.

crushedcar.gif
driving.gif

Last edited:
I agree ..but only because the 96/97 are OBDII and will allow more sophisticated internal diagnostics in the future.

That's what I figure, the 96-97 will allow for better diagnostics. Still no reply from the '96 owner. He stopped reposting it so I assume it's sold. Impound auction is on the 7th. There's the one mentioned green '97 Intrepid plus two more '95 models, green and gray. The gray one has the 3.3L engine. I just wish the '97 was the 3.3L, since it's my favorite V6 engine.

I would budget for a complete trans rebuild on any of the 3 cars. The Chrysler auto trans has been a problem and a weak link for a while. It sounds like all 3 of these cars are due for a rebuild. If a complete rebuild doesnt fix into your budget or you can't afford the car being out of service for a few days, I would look elsewhere. Or take the amount of the car and the amount of the trans rebuild and go shopping for a car with a good trans. This last would allow you about 400 + 2500 or 2900 total. What engine do they have? I have heard bad things about the 2.7L re:sludging. I do hear there is a good trans rebuilder near Ft. Worth called Phoenix, IIRC.

I've found that rebuilds typically cost
The cars we're looking at here are all first gens and have either the 3.3 or the 3.5 in them. Both are very good engines.

Who buys a car for $300 and drops a $2000 trannie rebuild into. Just keep buying your disposables as you could go through 5 or 6 of them at that price until you find a good trannie.

I'd opt for one that does not need transmission work, or one with a manual, where the most its likely to need is a clutch. Unless you work on ATs for a living they need to be brought to someone and then in most cases, its a complete rebuild rather than replacing a $50 part. And if the fluid was changed often, the AT should have lasted longer on these cars, so they all probably had poor maint.

First, what motors do all of these have? Second, how handy and mechanically inclined are you?

Regards motors, there are two. 3.3 and 3.5. Two very different animals. 3.5 is a finicky bugger and has a timi8ng belt. Unfortunately, it has quite a bit more power. 3.3 has a timing chain and is much easier to work on with this car and is pretty much bulletproof. Next, what have you done regards looking at the suspensions. The INNER tie rod bushings and one in the steering rack are notoriously bad. Last, the transmissions are all shot.These cars can be had cheap but if you are handy and have access to LOTS of tools they can be a good buy.
There is a specific Intrepid site if you care to google. What is done with these are not rebuilds at all, but swapping a transmission from a 2000 (when they beefed up the 41LE/A606) or newer-up to 2004-Intrepid/Conciorde/LHS. They fit almost direct swap with drilling only one pilot hole, changing a chain cover and changing a wire harness. There is a full "how to" and these trannys in junk yards are cheap and ample because so many of the sludged 2.7 engines are blown.
Bottom line, if you can drop a trans and suffer some bloody knuckles, get the best condition one, with a 3.3. I own a 96 3.5 with 140K and original trans, which is babied. 140K out of an A606 is practically unheard of on the boards. Good luck.

Just an update for you folks, I waited...and waited...and waited until the right car came along. 1997 with 139K, said to drive well with cold air, asking $1000. Got it for $800. Promptly blew the head gaskets within 24 hours.

So I'm about $450 into parts and tools and machine shop labor and I've assembled most of the motor and all I have left to do it put the fuel injectors back in, the fuel rail, the plenum, coil pack, throttle body, alternator, fill the coolant and oil, and fire it up. Hoping to have it roadworthy again this week even though I can only do a couple hours' work each day.

Transmission is 22K into a rebuild with an external cooler and ATF+4. Motor is the 3.3, and you're right, it's very simple to work on, just like a 60s car with a V8, everything is easy to reach, even the exhaust crossover nuts which people say are tough, these were easy.

Funniest thing so far, I know why it overheated. The guy hot-wired the cooling fans because they weren't coming on when they should. Sure he did. He cut open the backs of the motors and hard-wired them to each other, but never bothered to connect them to power or ground. Then he wondered why they weren't working. $30 and 1 hour at a junkyard and I have two good fans and an uncut wiring harness to put in. Took me all of ten minutes to get it swapped out with the core support out of the way.

Quote:

Get the one where the tranny is stuck in limp home mode. It's likely to be something simple like a bad solenoid.

Well, I'm skipping out on the transmission ones. Found this '97 and will have it together, hopefully, by noon tomorrow, *IF* the mother-in-law shows up to watch the kids as promised. Otherwise I have to wait until evening to work on it.

I have missed out on four other Intrepids since buying this one 2 weeks ago. A 1996 3.3L with a bad water pump (prolly blown head gaskets too) for $550. A 1996 3.3L with certain blown head gaskets for $650. A 1997 3.3L, same colors, with no mechanical problems but front bumper and fenders are damaged for $750. And finally, another 1997 with a $1000 asking price, supposed to run and drive well but AC doesn't work and it's a 3.5L with 244K on it so I wonder how many timing belts it's been through and how long since the last one.

If I royally screwed up the motor on this thing, then I'm buying the $750 1997 with body damage and swapping parts over from the $800 car. Then part out what's left of it and drive the $750 car. It has cold air, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back