Isuzu diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't know whether to post here or in the medium duty/truck forum. I just bought a chevy luv truck with a Isuzu c223 diesel engine. I know nothing about the history of the truck but I don't believe it has been mantained well for the past couple of years at least. The truck has 125k miles on it. I know the truck has overheated before, because when I bought the truck it overheated badly. I flushed the radiator and a lot of junk came out. I was looking for some suggestions on some oil for this engine. I've looked at this site, but don't understand all the language so laymans terms would be helpful.

It's pretty basic. For nearly every diesel engine you want an oil that meets the API CH-4 spec or better. CI-4 is better, CI-4 Plus is better, CJ-4 is new and probably better.

Then you have to decide on viscosity. If you want to keep it simple, then choose a synthetic 5w40 or a conventional 15w40. Some companies like Amsoil offer diesel-rated motor oils in other weights, but it's easy to find 5w40 and 15w40 diesel oils.

Thanks for the quick replies.
dadinfo,
The reason I bought this truck was because of its reputation for reliability and economy. I'm glad you have had the same experience, it helps affirm my purchase.

Consider yourself EXTREMELY lucky to own one of the most reliable engines ever. Use Rotella or Delo and enjoy.

I have acquired an '85 Pup with 175,000 in Feburary here in Atlanta area. No body rust and a solid diesel engine 5 speed. Haven't used a drop of oil in the 2000 miles I have driven it, 35 mpg no matter how I drive it, cruise at 70-75.
I have some Rotella 15-40 on hand so it will go in 178,000 with a Purolator filter. I have been looking for Rotella 5w-40 but none at WM, O'Rielly, PEP, or AZ. Delo is a favorite of mine as well. Have any of you changed the fluids in the trans and diff to synthetic?

Had 2 of 'em,an 82 LUV and an 86 P'up.Got 43 mpg with the LUV and 44 on the P'UP.Look at ISUZU site for Australia.Would buy one tomorrow if we had them here.

The closest reputable place to drive a new isuzu from, in my opinion, is costa rica left hand drive. My 82' luv does great on dino in all areas. I developed a leak on one thousand mile trip and lunched the front bearings in the tranny. It went another 30,000 with synthetic and "off brand" teflon treatment. It is on the work bench as we speak

Quote:

It's pretty basic. For nearly every diesel engine you want an oil that meets the API CH-4 spec or better. CI-4 is better, CI-4 Plus is better, CJ-4 is new and probably better.

Usually that would be true but in this case it isn't true. CJ-4 is not better than CI-4. However, in this engine and duty cycle it won't matter.

CJ-4 was developed for tier 4 emissions on 2007 diesel vehicles and for that reason only.

Quote:

Quote:

Usually that would be true but in this case it isn't true. CJ-4 is not better than CI-4. However, in this engine and duty cycle it won't matter.

CJ-4 was developed for tier 4 emissions on 2007 diesel vehicles and for that reason only.

That's why I included the "probably" qualifier. CJ-4 is "probably" better than CI-4 Plus. But the CI-4+ motor oils are so good, generally speaking, and the CJ-4 oils are so new, that there seems to be no reason to recommend a CJ-4 oil.

And not in a 20-year-old Isuzu engine.

Sorry, but there is no probably to it. CJ-4 is not a better oil as far as additives and OCI. It has about a 10% cost penalty too.

cheers.gif

I'm not going to debate you on this. I will however tell you what I know and let you be the judge.

The president of the oil company that provides all the branded oil for my company's offroad equipment gave a presentation at our winter dealer meetings. (incidently, we are about 85% of their oil and lube business) He gave a presentation and stated the oil industry is touting the exact same type of info you posted above. He then proceeded to tell us that CJ-4 is not in the best interest for our equipment and our customers. It has less addatives and requires shorter drain intervals. (shorter drain intervals with CJ-4 has been discussed in other topics. I have to ask, if CJ-4 is better then why the shorter drain intervals?) On top of that it carries about a 10% price penalty. It was developed for 2007 on road diesel engines with all the new emissions equipment. In 2010 tier 4 emissions applies to offroad equipment. At that time we will be looking at this new oil. Until then, we continue to recommend and sell CI-4+ oil at all our dealers.

Of coures the oil industry is going to provide information like you posted above. It is in their best interest to do so. Take this information for what it is worth but, I stand by my original comments.
wink.gif

Quote:

I'm not going to debate you on this. I will however tell you what I know and let you be the judge. ... Take this information for what it is worth but, I stand by my original comments.
wink.gif

And that's fine. I've stocked up with enough CI-4 rated oil to last at least 200k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back