Walnut oil for wood finish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We bought a low cost "Bekvam" kitchen cart from IKEA:

Kitchen cart

http://london.craigslist.org/fur/278508922.html

I know it's not much compared to you "got bucks" guys. Anyhow, I want a non-toxic, cheap and easy finish on the top (at least). It's made from the wood of the Birch. Can I just buy some fresh walnut oil and rub it in and replenish as necessary? The lower portion maybe I'll just do the cheapo fake Tung oil or light Danish or whatever.

Input welcome.

My experience with walnut oil is using a fresh walnut and using it to repair waterstains on furniture and such. It worked great for me. I must admit that I have zero woodworking skills.

Walnut oil is the oil of choice for butcher blocks and can be re-oiled anytime. after soaking it with oil rub on a heavy coat of beeswax then buff. that will make it much more water resistant and still non-toxic.
danish oil on the bottom will give a nice finish.

I did my third rub of walnut oil last night. Really nice! My little daughter and I just rubbed it in with our bare hands. Rubbed until the applied oil soaks all in. I love it. Nice finish.

Where the heck can I get beeswax these days??

Quote:

Where the heck can I get beeswax these days??

How much do you want? I've got about 30Lbs. of it. It's raw,(unrefined) but otherwise pure. Or, you can go to the local Hdwr shanty and buy a toilet bowel wax ring. It will give you all the beeswax you need and you get a plastic funnel shaped thingy as a bonus.
grin.gif

(.97 here at home despot)
grin.gif

Umm, P, have you ever looked at one?? I just put my new Koler flushomatic in yesterday. The ring is so pure it is almost translucent. And it is covered with a sealing paper to keep it clean. I would say it is much cleaner then the stuff I have in a box out in the workshop.

Quote:

Eh....wax toilet ring....wood top for food.....
puke.gif

Are wax toilet rings really 100% beeswax?

Pablo,
from the old shooters online site, and the production of felix wonder lube, I thought that toilet rings were carnauba wax.

Ah good tip. Neat stuff.

Was gonna search here: http://www.acehardware.com/ but site not working.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beeswax

Weird coincidence - one teenage hobby - I kept bees in an orange grove but all I wanted was the honey. The wax I gave to my mentor. The wax rings for all the thrones I have installed (plenty) seems much less viscous and much more malleable and flowing than real beeswax. Beeswax seems sticky and hard, relatively speaking compared to krapper wax seals.

I think I missed something here. What are we using beeswax for?

As far as a wax ring goes, It may not be pure beeswax, I really don't know. If I had any reason to use wax from a ring, it would be simple to put it in a double boiler, melt it and and keep it above 180F for 20 minutes. That should sterilize it properly.
stirthepot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back