What oil to choose on a turbo 5 cylinder Audi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought an older S-6 today and it has almost 200,000 miles on it. The car has been religiously serviced by the dealer for 99% of it's life, and I am just wondering if I should stick with factory spec oil or does this mileage warrant using something different? I might also mention that the car is modified and making quite a bit more horsepower and boost than when it was stock.

Any advice would be great... even generalities because it all helps me learn!

My mechanic has an Ur-S6 w/26lbs boost and uses Syntec 5w-50 in winter and Valvoline VR-1 20w-50 in summer. Original turbo. Likely, the dealer UNDER serviced on oil and you should start from scratch. A quality engine cleaner like Auto-Rx.com is a good start. Mobil 1 comes in a 10w-40 Hi-Miles version now. A 5w-40 synth in winter or for longer ocis would be good AFTER you clean it with Auto-Rx and frequent dino changes. Try a good 15w-40 diesel when the temps allow. Mobil Delvac 1300S 15w-40 is a good cheap start for short (2000mile) cleaning intervals. Look for a bigger filter than the oem.

Excellent reply, thank you. I was searching around for other info on this topic and discovered that the engine calls for a VW500.00 oil. Now I guess I need to see what oils fall into that.

Also, if the car has been using non-synthetic oil for all of it's life, is switching over to synth really a bad thing or is that a myth?

Oh yeah, and why would you recommend diesel oils? Please pardon all the newbie questions!

VW 500 is antiquated. VW 502 oils are good, but not the only oils that work. The oil choice is mostly a matter of longevity and appropriate-ness for a turbo. A n/a version of that engine can run on anything. Oils have come a long way since that car was built and oils speced for it. You could use a modest mid-grade oil and be done with it or use something exotic like German Syntec 0w-30. Anyway, considering your turbo, a VW 502 oil is a good place to look. All I'm saying is some short intervals of diesel-rated 15w-40 oil will clean it out a bit. I actually use some kero to flush it out for 10 min before the oil is first changed. The single best thing to do now is obtain some Auto-Rx and run it 2000 miles, followed by a rinse of dino oil. Then, you can use a synth oil and realize the benefits of it.

Basicly, a 40 weight oil needed, but some 30s are thick enough, like German Syntec and MaxLife Synth. That Mobil 1 10w-40 Hi-Miles is an appropriate choice for a clean engine.

I have that car too. Always used synthetic like M1 0W-40, Delvac 5W-40, Castrol SLX (Syntec) 0W-30, Castrol RS0W-40, Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40, Esso Ultron 5W-40, Elf/Fina 5W-40, Agip 10W-60, Fuchs 5W-40, etc.
Never had much oil consuption but with the Agip mileage was down 3-5%.

I suggest using an engine flush like https://www.amsoil.com/lit/g172.pdf .

The Amsoil site recommends the following oils for:
1995 AUDI S6 QUATTRO 2.2L 5-cyl Engine Code AAN Turbo
Engine Oil
Grade 1......API*
Synthetic 5W-40 European Engine Oil
Series 2000 Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil
Series 2000 Synthetic 20W-50 Racing Oil
SAE 10W-40 Synthetic High Performance Motor Oil
-15 To 15°F......10W-30, 10W-40
Above 5°F......15W-40, 15W-50, 20W-40, 20W-50
All Temps......5W-30, 5W-40, 10W-30, 10W-40[1]
All Temps......5W-50, 10W-50, 10W-60
Below 59°F......5W-30, 5W-40

Wow, gotta remember that.
Dealers don't provide service, they provide 'underservice'
grin.gif

I had a 1994 S4. Same car but they changed the name to S6 in 1995. I also had mine chipped to make more boost. I used nothing but Redline 10W-30. I knew of others who used Redline 10W-40 in theirs but those cars saw a lot of track time.
Those Audi 5-cylinder turbo motors were as close to bulletproof as you can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back