Need help finding A/T tires for 3/4 diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at needing to replace tires on my '01 Dodge Diesel 3/4 quad-cab 4x4 end of summer.

I currently have the Yokohama Geolander A/T II's in the LT245/75 R16 - load range E.

I would like to go up to the LT265/75 R16 load Range E tires, but am having a hard time finding the 265's in the 10-ply/E range fitment in an all-terrain tire.

I love the Yok's, but they are no longer making this exact tire, and they don't offer the 265 in the 10-ply/E range.

I will NOT use the BFG AT K/O's on this truck again; had a horrible experience.

But would like to find a fairly aggressive A/T tire that's still highway/towing friendly that I can get at least 30k out of.

Tires I have tried in the past that I will not use again:

Pirelli scorpions
Pathfinder A/T's
BFG A/T K/O's

Any help would be great - thanks!

Toyo Open Country A/T is what I have in that exact size, load range E. 20k mi, great tire. Not found at Discount tire. I was looking for the Toyo M35? commercial grade tire and settled for this one. You can hear them but they are not bad and great self cleaning.

You can get the Toyo Open Country AT from www.edgeracing.com for example.
TireRack sells the Kumhos.

BTW, if your original size is 245/75/16, then shouldn't you use 265/70/16 as the correct plus zero size? 265/75/16 would be 4% taller than OEM diameter.

Last edited:
I don't know if Michelin makes an AT in that exact size, but I run them on a Ford E250 and my GMC Yukon. I think they're fantastic.

Having spedo recalibrated at dealer is simple. 265/70's only come in standard (4ply) rating, any brands I've ever seen.

Semi generic "Dean Wildcat AT" is the best I've ever sold or run. Excellent wet, snow traction. Fair mud traction. Super quiet, super smooth ride. 5oK+ miles. Built by Cooper. Google Dean Tire and Rubber.

Bob

Great thanks guys.

FWIW - this truck came stock with LT265/75 R16's as an upgrade option when we purchased it - the tires then were the Michelin MS/T or something like that. We took the Michelin's off because they were very slippery in the snow, we then put a set of BFG AT K/O's that had been on our previous '99 3/4 Chevy in the 265/75 size.

This dodge ate through those BFG's like they were cake, and they were VERY slippery on this truck.

Discount tire, at the time, said that the truck could run LT245/75's or LT265/75's, and that these cummins diesel's could've came with either as a stock size.

As far as I know 265/70's only come in 4-ply or, I have even seen some in 6-ply, but I would NEVER put anything less then a 10-ply on this truck - she tows and carries a heavy camper.

I do run a 7% bigger tire on another truck - I've never recalibrated it, as I've never thought it was anything to really worry about, with the exception of remembering that your speedo's off by 2-5mph, no biggy.

What about something like this?

http://www.mastercrafttires.com/us/en/Pr...ght+Truck+Tires

COURSERCT-C.jpg

Another idea is the Trail Mark Radial A/P found at Discount Tire. I bought a set for an F-350 service truck in 265/70-16 LRE 10ply. I'm sure they make the same tire in 265/75. IIRC they're made by Kelly-Springfield.

I have a 2003 Dodge 2500 diesel, and have an even harder time with tires as they're 17in wheels. I currently run studded Cooper M+S in the winter, 3rd season now, and with some sand tubes in the bed they've worked on hard smooth ice thru snow, but I still needed chains on soft, water covered smooth ice. The Coopers are severe snow rated, which is useful around here as they are considered as traction devices where required. I wanted Hakka LTs but couldn't find any. For the rest of the year I've been using some Goodyear Silent Armor for almost a year, they're load range E and also severe snow rated, and so far I'm very pleased with the tires. They're quieter than the factory Michelin A/S tires, have MUCH better traction, have a 50k mile tread wear warranty, but aren't cheap.

A friend also has a newer 3500 Dodge diesel and he's happy with larger BFG ATs on Hummer rims, but only got 30k on the first set. The Goodyear Silent Armor and the BFG AT seem to be some of the few (only ?) 17in load range E 'regular' AT tires that also have a severe snow rating. Les Schwab had some 16in AT tires that were also severe snow rated, I don't recall the name, but just look for the rating on the tire if interested.

Kind of brousing at the Firestone Destination M/T's; they have *fantastic* ratings on the tirerack website, many of them with heavy trucks.

Supposedly they're fairing better on-road then most A/T tires.

Keeping my eyes open, keep the opinions coming.

I have about 32k miles on a set of firestone destination LE's, and they are all but worn out.

I wouldn't recommend them. Noisy tire also.

This is a 255/70/16 f150 (stock size)

I have Firestone Destination A/Ts on my truck. They are a very good all around tire. They are quiet on the highway, treadwear is very even, traction is very good in the rain. Like all other A/T tires, they do not self-clean as well as an M/T in mud, but they are not the worst there either. I have had them for about 25,000 miles now and will probably be replacing them in the next 10,000 miles. I may go with Destinations again, though I will also consider General Grabber AT2 tires if I can find them at a decent price (I could not pass up all the discounts I got on the Destinations).

However, I should note, these tires are 225/70R15s on a Ranger...completely different size of tire and truck.

Another vote for the Destination AT. I put them on my Mariner after driving 800 miles on the OEM Contitracs. I've been smiling ever since. They are the best "bang for the buck" AT tire.

Quote:

I'm looking at needing to replace tires on my '01 Dodge Diesel 3/4 quad-cab 4x4 end of summer.

I currently have the Yokohama Geolander A/T II's in the LT245/75 R16 - load range E.

I would like to go up to the LT265/75 R16 load Range E tires, but am having a hard time finding the 265's in the 10-ply/E range fitment in an all-terrain tire.

I love the Yok's, but they are no longer making this exact tire, and they don't offer the 265 in the 10-ply/E range.

I will NOT use the BFG AT K/O's on this truck again; had a horrible experience.

But would like to find a fairly aggressive A/T tire that's still highway/towing friendly that I can get at least 30k out of.

Tires I have tried in the past that I will not use again:

Pirelli scorpions
Pathfinder A/T's
BFG A/T K/O's

Any help would be great - thanks!

what was wrong with Pirelli scorpions? I was going with them as my next tire.

Scorpions wear out way too fast. Maybe some have good luck with them, no-one I know will use them twice though. Same with BFG-AT's.

I should have said I have had the Toyo's for 20K so far, and hardly look worn. I can't imagine these not doing good anywhere you wouldn't need studs or chains anyway.

I think the reason i decided against Kumho's is that they don't have a tread cap and sidewalls are missing a layer too in most of the tires. Or maybe the store didn't have E range...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back