How does this setup sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently purchased a well maintained 1995 Acura Integra LS, and I'm bound and determined to keep this thing going as long as I possibly can. I'm planning on switching to Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-30 and Purolator Pure One oil filters. I just put a K&N Air Filter in it. I was planning on having a 5K OCI, does this sound good? Any recommendations on an alternative setup besides what I have now? It doesn't necessarily have to be thrifty, I just want my car to last.

-sigh- i'm so absent-minded, blame it on being a newbie I guess
laugh.gif
I forgot to mention that it has ~121,500 miles on the Engine. The timing belt was last changed at ~72k miles in August of '02.

Depends on the car's condition, your goals, etc. Is 5W-30 the recommended viscosity? Nothing wrong with M1 but you can do as well or better for a lot less, like with Pennzoil Platinum. Some will say not to switch to synthetic at such high mileage due to leakage possibilities. Others will say with the newer Group III synthetics, it won't be a problem. You might consider a good synthetic blend, like Motorcraft 5W-30 or TropArtic 5W-30. Both are highly regarded here, are reasonably priced, seem to give excellent UOA's, and have some synthetic in them.

You'll get lots of different recommendations, but at only 5K per year, that's one oil change/year. Not much you can do to hurt your car in that little mileage, unless you're racing it.

K&N air filters have either a love/hate following. some will say too much contamination gets through, some will say performance is improved. For my money, if your goal is to keep it running as long as possible, you'd be better off with regular paper air filtration.

Pure Ones are excellent filters...lower flowing perhaps, but excellent in filtering the oil. You might consider Wix (Napa Gold is same)...they seem to get high marks here.

Good luck.

Yes, 5W-30 is the recommended. As far as I know from the countless hours of research i've done, you won't have any leaks switching from dino to synthetic. I loved the K&N in my Altima so I thought i'd put one into this Integra. For me it's not really a matter of cost (I don't mind spending extra to keep the car running in tip-top shape) I just want to do what's best for my car, but since i'm still relatively young with not much experience under my belt, i've been researching fervently.

Mobil 1 is a good choice as would many other synthetics and even dinos. If you stick with a name brand all will likely be fine. I only have one modern car in my driveway and I used Mobil 1 in it initially, then Wal-Mart Supertech Synthetic, and now Pennzoil Platinum. The PureOne filter is a good choice in my opinion. It appears to be constructed well, filters very well, and should also flow fine, especially with syntheitic 5W-30. I used K&Ns in all my cars for many years but switched back to a quality paper filter after finding more dirt than I felt comfortable with on the base of my filter housing (14" x 4" traditional round). I also observed many gaps in my K&N filter media that were larger than I was comfortable with. So, I recommend sticking with a quality paper air filter. Just my 2 cents worth. There is a lot of experience in the words on this site. I suggest listening to the many opinions then decide for yourself what you are most comfortable with.

Interesting, I never knew that about the K&N letting more dirt in (I always thought they were supposed to be really good, having the 1,000,000 mile warranty and such). I still have the original paper air filter that's in good shape that I could put back in it. Any way I can check to see if it's letting in a lot of dirt and stuff?

I also forgot to mention that one of the main reasons I switched away from Mobil 1 was the price. It has gotten to be pretty expensive. I buy my oil at WalMart mostly and it appears to be the most expensive oil there. I got the SuperTech for about $14 for 5 qts and a bunch of Penn Platinum for .99 per quart after rebate at various stores. The SuperTech is still priced very competitively. Good Luck

Also, K&N has a loyal following and I am not a scientist, so don't just make a decision not to use them based on my comments. There may be a few air filter tests out on the web. There is one on this site I looked at recently that had some good info.

Quote:

I forgot to mention that it has ~121,500 miles on the Engine. The timing belt was last changed at ~72k miles in August of '02.

Check the manual for when another timing belt change is due.

Quote:

For me it's not really a matter of cost (I don't mind spending extra to keep the car running in tip-top shape) I just want to do what's best for my car, but since i'm still relatively young with not much experience under my belt, i've been researching fervently.

Instead of only buying the most expensive oil and filters, you might be better served by spending some money on a professional oil analysis once a year.

Quote:

You might consider a good synthetic blend, like Motorcraft 5W-30 or TropArtic 5W-30. Both are highly regarded here, are reasonably priced, seem to give excellent UOA's, and have some synthetic in them.

Motorcraft 5w-30 is not a synthetic blend it's dino oil although I do think they now make a synthetic 5w-30. I would use the Motorcraft 5w-20 synthetic blend if using Motorcraft oil.

Quote:

Quote:

You might consider a good synthetic blend, like Motorcraft 5W-30 or TropArtic 5W-30. Both are highly regarded here, are reasonably priced, seem to give excellent UOA's, and have some synthetic in them.

Motorcraft 5w-30 is not a synthetic blend it's dino oil although I do think they now make a synthetic 5w-30. I would use the Motorcraft 5w-20 synthetic blend if using Motorcraft oil.

MC 5w-30 is available in a blend.
beer2.gif

From the Amsoil site:

1998 NISSAN/DATSUN ALTIMA 2.4L 4-cyl Engine Code KA24DE

Air Filter........ EAA74
Oil Filter........ EAO13
Engine Oil
Grade 1......API*
Series 2000 Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil
SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil
SAE 5W-30 XL Synthetic Motor Oil
Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil
Above 0°F......10W-30, 10W-40
All Temps......5W-30[1]

The above products are likely the best available for your car. Go with Amsoil's 5W30. Change oil filter and oil once a year.

1995 ACURA INTEGRA 1.8L 4-cyl Engine Code B18C1, C5
Oil Filter........ EAO20
Same oil as above.

Forget about the K&N. They let too much sub 5 micron dirt in. Stick with paper.

Really? I've never heard anything bad about the K&N until I joined this site. I've been using one in my Altima for over a year now and it's been wonderful. I've only had it in my Integra for about a month though. I'm going to be sending in the oil for an analysis when I hit 3000 and we'll see how it worked. I'd hate to be out the $80 I spent on the filter, if it really doesn't work well.

Now I don't know which paper filter to put in
frown.gif
the one I took out is dirty and I wouldn't wanna put that one back in, and I don't know what other brands are good. I have K&N in my other car too, so I have no experience with any other brands.

And also, my main concern about using Synthetic oil is the fact that I don't drive my car much. Will it hurt anything to change my oil with synthetic once a year, if I only drive around 4-6k a year?

Quote:

For my money, if your goal is to keep it running as long as possible, you'd be better off with regular paper air filtration.

I couldn't agree more!

Wix or OEM standard air filter is your best bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back