Another OLM worry...(sigh)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I'm now at 3815 miles on this oci, and my OLM still shows 60%. Dang it...why can't I get comfortable with the prospect of going 8K miles on a good syn blend? It's MC 5W-20 right now, but the next change and for the foreseeable future I'll be using PP 5W-20. (I scored a big bunch at the last AA BOGO sale.)

Honda seems to think the miles are fine, but I still worry. I can't decide when to change it...again. Knowing me, I'll probably change it at between 5-6K when it's on 30-40%, since that's what I've done on the first two. After I change to PP, I'll probably go to the recommended 15% and change it. At least I'll TRY!

I know I drive 90-95% highway miles, and don't usually push it hard. I guess there's no single right answer, but I needed to rant. Oh well, I guess there are bigger problems in the world than my oci.

deadhorse.gif

Mine seems to be dropping quicker as it get's closer to 0%.

1,990 MI 70%
2,263 MI 60%
3,248 MI 50%
4,049 MI 40%
4,548 MI 30%
5,063 MI 20%

This is on a 2006 Honda Odyssey. One thing is for sure, it isn't linear. The OLM really does seem to mirror the driving habits. There was a long trip (therfore all hwy miles) at the 60% - 40% range.

I am running Amsoil 5W20 in it with LC20. I'll do a UOA at 0% with a particle count (testing the oil filter and a magnet). I have faith in the OLM. The 2500 mile UOA showed plenty of life left.

LouDawg,

I'd change it at 4K. I am struggling with what to do with my 07 Odyssey. I really like the idea of switching over to synthetic at the next OC, but I know i won't be able to leave it in for greater than 5K even if my OLM says to. I get some satisfaction in knowing the inside of the new 3.5L iVTEC V6 is pearly clean. I think going to synthetic will help keep clean also. THe Honda 5W-20 oil I'm currently using is starting to get darker at nearly 2K, but I am goiing to change it at 4k and get a UOA done on it. Decisions, decisions, decisions.
driving.gif

Last edited:
Quote:

1,990 MI 70%
2,263 MI 60%
3,248 MI 50%
4,049 MI 40%
4,548 MI 30%
5,063 MI 20%

This is on a 2006 Honda Odyssey. One thing is for sure, it isn't linear. The OLM really does seem to mirror the driving habits. There was a long trip (therfore all hwy miles) at the 60% - 40% range.

I am running Amsoil 5W20 in it with LC20. I'll do a UOA at 0% with a particle count (testing the oil filter and a magnet). I have faith in the OLM. The 2500 mile UOA showed plenty of life left.

I haven't done a UOA yet on mine. I might do one at this next change on the MC that's in there now, but I'm not sure if I've been running long enough for it to be representative. The FF was in there for about 5700 miles, so that's only going to be about 10K on the MC. But for sure, I'm going to do a UOA after the 2nd change of PP.

I can't decide whether I "trust" the OLM yet or not. My brain tells me yes, it's a Honda. But my heart says, "Change it! Change it!" I'm not going to use any LC or other additives at this point, at least until it's out of warranty, unless I find a problem that needs fixing.

As for it being linear, mine has been very linear so far. But that's because my driving patterns are just about as consistent and identical as they could possibly be. Same thing every day, M-F, 95% highway, no stop & go traffic, and almost no driving on the weekends.

I like what you did with your tracking...think I may try that. Pretty interesting to see those differences and speculate as to, or identify why, it changed.

cheers.gif

Quote:

LouDawg,

I'd change it at 4K. I am struggling with what to do with my 07 Odyssey. I really like the idea of switching over to synthetic at the next OC, but I know i won't be able to leave it in for greater than 5K even if my OLM says to. I get some satisfaction in knowing the inside of the new 3.5L iVTEC V6 is pearly clean. I think going to synthetic will help keep clean also. THe Honda 5W-20 oil I'm currently using is starting to get darker at nearly 2K, but I am goiing to change it at 4k and get a UOA done on it. Decisions, decisions, decisions.
driving.gif

LOL, you sound like me! I *wish* I could relax more, but just like you, I want the inside to be absolutely spotless, pristine, like new, for as long as it can possibly stay that way. I don't know about 4K, but I know I won't wait till 8K.

On a side note, I wonder why Honda's 3.5L in the Odyssey is an iVTEC, as is the 2.4L in the Accords and Civics. But the 3.0L in the Accord is a regular VTEC.
dunno.gif

Quote:

Quote:

LouDawg,

driving.gif

LOL, you sound like me! I *wish* I could relax more, but just like you, I want the inside to be absolutely spotless, pristine, like new, for as long as it can possibly stay that way. I don't know about 4K, but I know I won't wait till 8K.

On a side note, I wonder why Honda's 3.5L in the Odyssey is an iVTEC, as is the 2.4L in the Accords and Civics. But the 3.0L in the Accord is a regular VTEC.
dunno.gif

At least in the case of the Odyssey, I think the iVTEC is tied to the VCM, having to do with the valves closing on the deactivated cylinders. In the Civics it is linked to the economy cams as a way to reduce fuel consumption. I know the Accrd hybrid uses the VCM and iVTEC technology to, but the sportier, peppier engines wouldn't benefit from the i VTEC from a "need for power" perspective. It seems to be used rather loosley by Honda for various valve control methods however.
cheers2.gif

Quote:

1,990 MI 70%
2,263 MI 60%
3,248 MI 50%
4,049 MI 40%
4,548 MI 30%
5,063 MI 20%

Great job tracking there! I read somewhere here at BITOG that the Honda OLM maxes out at 10k regardless of oil condition. Too bad it couldn't be pushed beyond 10k by using a good synthetic and careful driving. When I switch over to synthetic I too will use Amsoil. I'm using the EaO13 with the Honda 5W-20 at present.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:

Well I'm now at 3815 miles on this oci, and my OLM still shows 60%. ..... After I change to PP, I'll probably go to the recommended 15% and change it. At least I'll TRY!

I have similiar thoughts. "Early" changes of dino (3-4K) but let the OLM "decide" when to change a synthetic.

Quote:

Same thing every day, M-F, 95% highway, no stop & go traffic, and almost no driving on the weekends.

With those driving conditions, I wouldn't be worried one bit about following an OLM to 8000 miles on Supertech dino!

Lets see, the makers spend millions of $$ to develop an OLM to save you $$ and protect the vehicle (maybe in reverse order) and we decide to change the oil early. Spend away!
dunno.gif

Quote:

Lets see, the makers spend millions of $$ to develop an OLM to save you $$ and protect the vehicle (maybe in reverse order) and we decide to change the oil early. Spend away!
dunno.gif

I know, that's why I struggle so much with it. But just because they've spent millions$$ on developing it, doesn't make it perfect. Look at all the other technologies that have proven to be ineffective or downright bad. I'm not saying that OLM's are either, but they've really not been out long enough, to my knowledge, for me to put my unquestioned faith in them.

Between saving money and protecting the vehicle, I definitely defer to the latter. Not to say you can't do both, but when you want 300K+ miles out of the car, you look for every little advantage you can get. I may be wrong, I'm just saying...

LouDawg,

It looks like I will hit 0% in about a month. I'll post the results here on BITOG. But I can almost certainly guarantee that the MC oil will be just fine and still have life left if you follow the OLM all the way to 0%. At the earliest I would change it at 15% when the maintenance minder goes off. But you got to do what makes you sleep better at night
wink.gif

Glad to see that you took the factory fill as long as you did. My neighbor has a 2007 Pilot with the same iVtec engine as my Odyssey. He tried to take it to the dealer to get the oil changed early and the dealer refused and told him it's important to keep that factory fill in there until the OLM says dump it! I just gained some respect for that dealership.

I like the Amsoil 5W20 so far, but I wouldn't hesitate to use MC or Chevron. My problem is that you can't find 5W20 around here anywhere. I buy the Amsoil because I figure the money I save in gas from running from one auto parts store to another to find the right oil will offset the higher price. And actually, the Amsoil XL line is well priced.

Are you changing the oil filter every other change like Honda recommends?

Quote:

Are you changing the oil filter every other change like Honda recommends?

No, I'm changing the filter at every interval. I'm using Purolator Pure Ones or Premium Pluses, but now that I know O'Reilly carries Wix, I may try some of those. I figure if I'm going to run 8-9k on PP, I'd feel better knowing it had a new filter in. Maybe it will have better flow with the new filter, too. Not sure, but I just feel better knowing it's got a new filter on every time.

Quote:

Glad to see that you took the factory fill as long as you did. My neighbor has a 2007 Pilot with the same iVtec engine as my Odyssey. He tried to take it to the dealer to get the oil changed early and the dealer refused and told him it's important to keep that factory fill in there until the OLM says dump it! I just gained some respect for that dealership.

Around here, it depends on the dealer. 2 out of the 3 dealers still follow the 3750 (6-cyl) and 5000 (4-cyl) mi schedules, while the other one follows the OLM exclusively. Even the one who follows the OLM sells you the "7500mi service" for $89 if you go in for a A1 service, or the "15k service" when you go in for a "B" service, or the "30k" service" when you go in for a B2. IOW, they still try to gouge you on the bogus labor charges whenever possible to compensate for the reduced service visits, hence, negating any cost advantage of using the OLM.

IMO, I would rather have real test data based on my driving conditions for decisions of how long to run the oil, than the OLM data. I have the OLM on my Acura TL and frankly I ignore it.

But when the OLM is intelligent enough to reset itself when I change the oil and filter, then I will have some respect for it.

Quote:

IMO, I would rather have real test data based on my driving conditions for decisions of how long to run the oil, than the OLM data. I have the OLM on my Acura TL and frankly I ignore it.

But when the OLM is intelligent enough to reset itself when I change the oil and filter, then I will have some respect for it.

Some of the systems actually do this. I believe the MB OLM does some type of electrical test on the oil (but I don't think it automatically resets itself). However, the science behind the OLM is pretty solid. It takes into account a lot of different variables like testing the water temp at startup as well as the obvious engine RPM,fuel delivery rates, idle times, etc. The testing shows very repeatable and predictable results. Of course no system is perfect, but I will take an OLM over a general guideline of "every 5000 miles/6 months" any day. It appears to me that the OLMs are still built conservative to allow margin for error.

Do a gut check every now and then with a UOA and you are way ahead of the game.

Quote:

No, I'm changing the filter at every interval. I'm using Purolator Pure Ones or Premium Pluses, but now that I know O'Reilly carries Wix, I may try some of those. I figure if I'm going to run 8-9k on PP, I'd feel better knowing it had a new filter in. Maybe it will have better flow with the new filter, too. Not sure, but I just feel better knowing it's got a new filter on every time.

Just curious. I've never been one to change the filter every other oil change either, but I am going to test my EAO and see if I can trust this recommendation.

I still don't know how I feel about it, especially since it is so easy on the Odyssey to change the oil filter (turn the wheel to the right and it's right there - you don't have to get under the car).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back