01 bmw Auto-RX - conventional Oil ok to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

td1

2001 bmw 525 65,000 miles

I'm about to add Auto-RX to my engine oil to start the 1,500 mile cleaning phase. Is it ok to use conventional oil for the 2000 mile rinse phase?

I ask because BMW specifies synthetic oil only for all models after 2001. Can I use conventional oil for 2,000 miles during the rinse phase without damaging my engine?

Any body else out there do this to a >01 bmw. Any info would be appreciated.

You could use a Group III synthetic, one that Frank has stated is Pennzoil Platinum as being acceptable, for both phases. I would suggest extending both phases out to 3,000 miles incase there is any incompatibility.

BMW specified their A3 rated synthetic oil for viscosity reasons.

Pick up some 15W40 diesel oil for both the clean and rinse phases.

You can use ARX with any oil, Frank says just leave it in longer if it's a high quality synthetic.

I had the same concern with my 2002 BMW. Be aware BMW specified synthetic at the same time as they extended the oil life monitor in these cars to a 15k mile oil change interval from the previous 7.5K interval. A non-synthetic and non A3 LL01 rated oil couldn't handle a 15k interval (and many including myself believe it is imprudent to go this far even with the BMW synthetic).

The BMW 5w-30 synthetic is a hydrocracked group III synthetic with a viscosity of around 12.2 @ 100. I used an oil viscosity calculator to create a dino oil mix of Castrol GTX 5w-30 and 10w-40 to arrive upon the same viscosity spec in the dino oil.

I can't remember the exact mix, but if memory serves it was about 60% 5w-30 and 40% 10w-40. Your car likely has a 7 qt sump. You'd probably be OK with 4 qts of 5w-30 and 3 qts of 10w-40 (use the same brand of oil when mixing).

By the way, I was very concerned about this issue as well, so before I went with a non-synthetic oil in my bmw for this short ARX OCI, I consulted with Terry Dyson. I am confident you will be OK going dino for 1500 miles (clean phase) and dino for 2000 miles (rinse phase). Furthermore, my post ARX UOA's did not show any unusual wear using this combination. This is good because ARX works faster/better with dino oil.

As someone else pointed out, you can use any group III "synthetic" for ARX, if you can't bring yourself to use dino. For this purpose Shell Rotella T synthetic in a 5w-40 would be an excellent choice.

Last edited:
Although I would NOT want to do it in the winter, and would wait until summer, I was wondering about using Delo 400 15W-40.

I would be too afraid of its thick viscosity in cold temps during the winter, but the in the summer, with the lows in the 60s, would make me feel better.

Quote:

BMW specified their A3 rated synthetic oil for viscosity reasons.

Pick up some 15W40 diesel oil for both the clean and rinse phases.

I'd bet that 15k oil change intervals play into the 40wt rec'd.
I think a 30wt oil would be fine for 2k, especially with the weather the NE has been having. BRRR!!! Cold starts would be another reason for 5W30 over 15W40.

What's M1 0W40 shear down to after 15k? ~10-11cst?
When I ARX'ed our '01 E39 I think I just mixed 5W30 and 10W40 to get a thickish 30wt? 4-5qts 5W30 + 2-3qts 10W40.

Supertech or TropArtic oil from Walmart is pretty cheap. Pennzoil, Pepboys, or Castrol rebate oils?

gtx500

So when you Auto-rx'd your '01 e39 you used conventional 'dino' oil?

I ARXed my 1998 E39 (M52) over the summer and used Esso XD-3 15W40 HDEO dino for clean and rinse.

While I only use synthetic in normal situations and wouldn't be one to try to talk anyone out of using synthetic in a BMW, the manufacturer insistence on synth is mostly due to the insane OCIs they've moved to during the "covered" maintenance. There are many excellent dino oils out there which will easily last 1500-2000mi in your M54. Even if you choose a less-than-excellent dino, it's full of ARX so you won't get sludging etc...

The catch is that because BMW has specified synthetic, you'd technically be violating any remaining warranty during the ARX cycle even though we all know that it's very unlikely that there would be any problems with these short change intervals.

Nutshell: I'd recommend waiting for reliably warm weather and choosing a good dino. Since dino works the 'best' with ARX you can get it over with the fastest and not be second-guessing if you got your money's worth out of the ARX. Then you can get back to your synth of choice ASAP.

Craig.

thanks for the advice. It will be April be the time I reach 1,500 miles bye then the weather will be warmer. I'll go at it with dino oil & let everyone know the results.

Craig I've seen you at the roadfly board too, right?

TD1:

which dino oil have you decided to use?

the reason i ask, i am thinking about Delo 400 15W-40 for a 98 328i, & i would like to know what you decide to use and how it ends up working out for you.

thanks.

I'll probably go to Walmart and pick up some dino 10w-30, either Castrol GTX, Penziol, or Valvoline. I was thinking about going with a heavier 10w-40, but from what I've read that synthetic oil is generally lighter than conventional so I'll stick w/ 10w-30.

Does it make sense to go lighter since there may be some sludge from the Auto-rx application? I'll update this post after the first clean phase, but I'm still 1,200 miles away (~April).

I plan on saving the filters from each phase to compare. BMW filters are easy to look at since they are cartridge filters. Should I post pics?

Quote:

TD1:
i am thinking about Delo 400 15W-40 for a 98 328i

I've seen other people say they use diesel oil for the gas engines. Is that safe? Are there benefits?

I just started my AutoRx rinse phase with PP 10w-30. Terry said it's OK to use for that purpose and to take it up to 3-4k miles.

It is safe (to use diesel heavy duty motor oil) in gasoline engines so long as they bears proper API certifications and such.

That being said, however, it's the AW/EP additives inside these diesel motor oil that concerns ordinary gasoline engine users for they may contaminate emssions components (cats, O2 sensors).This is esp. true if your vehicle comes with 10years of unconditional emissions component warranties from manufacturers, or you live in areas where you have to go through emissions testings on a regular basis (likc CA and a few other Canadian provinces),and your engine does burn a bit of motor oil between OCI.

Benefits? IMHO same as good quality ordinary gasoline engine oils. Some claimed that running diesel engine keeps their engine cleaner inside due to higher detergency but YMMV. Again, IMHO good quality ordinary gasoline engine oil with proper API/ILSAC certifications shall be just as good as HDEOs.

Also: some claimed that the extra ZDDP in diesel oil helps in lowering their engine component wear but most of these claims are anectodal IMHO (I have yet to see any solid proofs esp. in the field of ordinary joe's daily vehicle; hodrod/highlift cams/streetmods need not apply).

Some folks would typically throw in a bottle of VSOT to "fortify" their ordinary gasoline motor oil...

again YMMV.

I sure hate BMWS 15,000 oil change interval. I really question the newer BMWs as "quality" used cars with the, IMO, poor care if you follow thier maintenance schedule on engine, trany, and diff lubricants.

Warranty wont be an issue if you fit the clean and rinse phase into a normal OCI that was stared with a recomended oil. With a 15K interval, that shouldn't be a problem.

Quote:

from what I've read that synthetic oil is generally lighter than conventional

That is completely untrue. There are heavy and light Dinos, and there are heavy and light synthetics. The type of oil has no bearing on the viscosity. Example: Castrol Syntec 0W-30 (German Castrol) is 12+ cSt at 100C.

Quote:

Quote:

TD1:
i am thinking about Delo 400 15W-40 for a 98 328i

I've seen other people say they use diesel oil for the gas engines. Is that safe? Are there benefits?

I just read the back of the gallon jug of Delo 400 15W-40 and it states it is SL rated.

I would want a robust Dino oil for a BMW, but that's just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back