Oil Changes - Time vs Mileage vs Oil Analysis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 06 Cummings...Owners manual states 6 months / 7500 miles

I rarely drive 9000 a year, I use Rotella T & MMO

Should I change every 6 months?
or
Should I wait till I get 7500 miles?
or
Just change according to oil analysis?

deadhorse.gif

Go every six months because you will void warranty if you don't after warranty is over do it one year or 7500 miles using a good syn.

Use the oil analysis, they can't legaly void your warranty, unless they can prove whatever failed was caused by the oil being insufficiant. If you use oil analysis you will know your oil is fine and be able to prove it, therefore protecting your warranty.

shane

Just like Shane said, go by the UOA. They can not void your warranty unless they prove the oil was the cause. It would be a little hard to prove the oil was the problem if you have a history of UOA's.

Your're the pilot, but I agree with Wrehch. Do not quiver in fear at the shadow cast by the spectre of warranty that appears to be a giant with a cleaver, but in reality is a mouse with a plastic butterknife
wink.gif
. Usually a reasonable mouse. IMHO, do UOAs and do annual. Of course by the time you pay for the UOA, you are halfway to a biannual oil change... so I would work those costs out before deciding.

FWIW, I get by fine on my truck (not a CTD) with Rotella-T dino and an annual change, or about 5500 miles if I crank on some extra miles, and have for 5 years or so... backed up by UOAs IMA. The truck will turn 21 this year, has 130K and runs like new (as proven by a recent dyno test).

I was really just trying to figure out my best avenue, I do not think I will make enough mileage to do 2 oil changes...But like someone said with the cost of OA I am nearly there for oil change...

Guess I will decide when the time comes

Thanks all

Quote:

Go every six months because you will void warranty if you don't after warranty is over do it one year or 7500 miles using a good syn.

Exactly right...the guys on this forum who tell you not to pay attention to the owners manual won't be there to defend you if you have a warranty denial. So their advice is no good in my opinion. Almost every extended warranty company will ask for proof of maintenance as will any dealer who doesn't have maintenence records for your vehicle. All these internet "Warranty Experts" will quote the Magnusson Moss Act but won't give you the $5000 to retain a lawyer to sue the manufacturer. We see these failures all the time at work and it usually boils down to a couple of simple maintenance intervals skipped to save a few bucks. We write a report and the consumer is toast. SO my best advise is to use your OA cash on an oil change until your warranty is up. Don't forget to keep all receipts and a specific log as well.

ALWAYS keep records...

Again I am pretty anal about the service end just curious about the mileage vs time....Guess in the end it all washes out and by doing the 6 month maintenance I get a chance to examine if there are any other issues.

Thanks

I've had warranty claims using extended oil change intervals, have never been asked for receipts or ever had to retain a lawyer as the oil or filters were never the problem. The warranty company has to prove the oil failed, and in Amsoil's case, they never have in 35 years, nor had warranty issues.

Depends upon issue, dealer, how stock your vehicle is, and how much #@$%! you're willing to put up with regardless of whether a warranty claim gets settled in your favor. If you follow the recommended change interval you'll not have any issues, if you don't you could. Remember that we're talking maybe $25 worth of oil and filters twice a year, which is less than half the cost of tank of fuel, or maybe three or four car washes, or apparently 1/4 the cost of what some pay for wax. I don't think that the Dodge 70k mile warranty or the Cummins 100k warranty is worth voiding for that much money.

If my vehicle wasn't being used on a regularly I'd change the oil more often, as potential moisture wouldn't be getting 'boiled off' on a regular basis.

Quote:

talking the standard warranty or the 100k on the motor??

Thanks

The 100K motor warranty, I was also told on my '02 to use only approved oil filters and to save the receipts-Fram especially is a BIG no-no, I personally use Fleetguard Stratapore and Purolator, when you get out of warranty you could go 1 yr/7500+ on Rotella no problem, with UOAs probably even further, just be sure to run it far enough to get the oil hot & dewatered regularly.

Quote:

The warranty company has to prove the oil failed

No they don't
nono.gif
all they have to do is say "claim denied" we aren't paying the bill. "You didn't follow the recommended OCI by the manufacturer and you have voided your coverage" Remember: They have your money up front. Now it's your turn to prove differently.

The only time we see the warranty company ask for OCI proof is when the motor is all sludged up and then they still don't care say lake of maintenance. We had one taken apart that was fairly spotless and they just went give him a motor. So if you run synthetic which lead to very little if any sludge even under prolonged OCI's then you won't have a problem.

That is my first hand account at my dealership with several after-market warranty companies. Sure they watch their pennies but if it is clean then it has never been a question.

One customer had a used car that they had a 2.5K OCI every 2 months for about 40K on their clock but the previous owner abused the #@$%! out of it and when it went they denied then split it. Owner took them to court for the rest as they warranted the car in the condition it was when they got the car and payed for the warranty. Never heard after that.

Well I just got my Fllet Filter order in and by the time it is all said and done an oil change is $50...Guess I will just do it every 6 months or 7.5k and then after first change go with bypass filter and service from there...

All this talk about the warranty issue confuses me. First I've never seen an owners manual say anything more than "recommended" service. They can't legally deny a claim unless they make that service mandatory.

Aside from that though. I have never known a single person in my 42 years of life to have an engine #@$%! out while still under warranty. Oh I know it happens, but it's really rare and odds are if your oil is clean, (no matter how old it is) you won't have a problem with the engine breaking down. At least not an oil related issue. I've seen gaskets blow, but that's not oil related. I've seen trannies go, but that's not the subject of the matter.

I would use Synthetic, do a UOA once a year and be done with it.

Quote:

I've had warranty claims using extended oil change intervals, have never been asked for receipts or ever had to retain a lawyer as the oil or filters were never the problem. The warranty company has to prove the oil failed, and in Amsoil's case, they never have in 35 years, nor had warranty issues.

Interesting; I've never had an oil related claim or problem in driving and maintaining my cars for over 30 years. I never go over six months or 4,000 miles on an oil change, regardless, usually using either Castrol or Mobil 1. And I have never used Amsoil.

I have decided since I found Fleet Filters and Wally world has a good price on Rotella T I am just going to do the 6 month 7.5k schedule. My usages is not going to be near the 7.5k so it will probably be around 5k...
Maybe after the extended warranty runs out I may try and extend to 10k with Rotella 'T' synthetic but that is a looooong time away...
BTW I have gotten a bypass filter setup for install after my oil change at 6m/7.5k, will be using a home made setup (won't mention since it starts a s**t storm or posts) and will be looking around to find the best setup on bypass and full flow filters.

"They can't legally deny a claim unless they make that service mandatory."

I've had some dealers state, and point to signs warning the same, that if you're doing your own service you need proof of service, such as receipts, otherwise warranty can be denied. Maybe it's different with diesels in trucks as it's not uncommon for people to use a 'box', which enables one to get stupid amounts of power out of an engine, with obvious trade offs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back