01 Dodge - B50 Results are IN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoping to get an exact particle count from Blackstone... But, the results are in. This is about the hardest driving conditions I can do to an oil. Many, Many sub 0 cold starts without being plugged in. Towing snowmobiles in the dead of winter. Extended (30 mins +) idle. Aftermarket fueling.. The whole nine yards.

Everything I could throw at it I did.. And this is where it stands. I'm happy with my investment.
smile.gif

assimilation.gif
assimilation.gif

http://www.nwbombers.com/forum/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=7751

Last edited by a moderator:
Aww heck. Looking to make the picture show up in the forum and not being able to do it.. Little help computer literate?

Oil brand was Shell Rotella 5/40.

Going to keep running this oil for a while, but the next change I'm probably going to drop in a CJ rated oil and see how that does.

I take it you have the Cummins. I'm glad to see the good numbers on the UOA. I just put this same setup on my PSD. It'll be a couple thousand more miles before I change oil to get a test run.
Is the Rotella that you're using the synthetic?
Thanks for the good info.

Yes, this is the synthetic rotella 5/40. This is the second interval I have used it for, and every time I have been extremely happy with the results. Around easter, I do a 1900 mile round trip towing heavy.. So I will probably change it out right before I undertake that journey.

This is with a B50 bypass filter. If you follow the bypass filter section very much, there is a huge debate as to which bypass filter is the most bang for the buck. I've been playing the B50 side for about a year, year and a half now.

In my humble opinion, this just further shows how great the B50 is for the price. I was hoping that Blackstone Labs would give me a true particle count.. X particles a 1um, X particles at 2um, X particles 3um, etc. etc. etc. This filter is rated down to 2um, with an absolute at 6um.

I don't think you could by any harder on an engine or engine oil. I've got several after-market fueling boxes, intake, etc. etc. I'm planning injectors and a new turbo in the future, but I want some baselines for how the engine is doing before I really start to rail on it.

When did you install the so-called bypass filter? I'm not sure what makes you think it is doing anything, based on the trending.

All of the samples you see have had the B50 installed.

The first sample you can see was using a Wix filter which isn't rated at the same micron rating as the baldwin/hastings filters.

The last 2 have been B50 bypass filters.

Don't compare my engine numbers to my engine numbers. Pull up a similar engine without a "so-called bypass" and compared those numbers.

Then have a particle count done, and compare those numbers.

Or heck.. Pull up a cummins with your favorite flavor of bypass filter and show me that the extra money spent on those fancy systems is doing a better job then this one.

I'm game.
smile.gif

Looks like the B50 does an excellent job in regards to filtration at the 2 micron level. The rest of your report looks stellar for the conditions you said you put the engine through too.

Here ya go.
driving.gif

[image]http://www.nwbombers.com/forum/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=7751.jpg[/image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back