I need some good snow tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Dodge Dakota 4.7 and I have Toyo Open Country ATs. They don't seem to work that good in the snow and I was wondering if anyone has any good tire recommendations. I want something that will dig in the snow but won't wear out in 10,000 miles Thanks in advance.

BFG All-Terrains are a popular severe snow rated tire with good treadlife.

Cooper Discoverer M+S, which I have on my Pathfinder, are winter rated, way cheaper and quieter than the BFGs, and seem to be wearing well. But I just put them on in the fall so I don't know how they'd do for wear if used year-round.

Does anyone know how fast you can drive on dry pavement with studded tires without having to worry about the studs coming out?

Quote:

Does anyone know how fast you can drive on dry pavement with studded tires without having to worry about the studs coming out?

This should probably be a new topic, but I'll give my response anyway.

The studs are in there pretty good. They're not difficult to pull out with a flat blade screwdriver, but I doubt they'd fly out easily. I've never lost a stud, with normal highway driving being from 60 - 70 mph and occasional passes at up to 100 mph. Lower speed driving probably dramatically increases stud life. A friend that usually drives 90+ mph had his studs worn down to nothing after a year, but I never looked close enough to see if any were missing. I have seen the tungsten tips break off, but this is usually due to very aggressive driving, or happens when the stud is almost worn out.

Take it easy for awhile to let the studs 'set', and then don't worry about it if they've been properly intalled. Haven't noticed any missing studs on my Cooper M+S, they're on their 3rd season now. I was looking for some studded Hakka LT snow tires but couldn't find any and settled for the Coopers. They've done ok on everything except water covered ice, which I guess was ok as no one else with studded tires was doing well either, as after chaining up all that I saw on the back roads heading home home were large 4wd vehicles with chains. I'll probably get the Nokians next time though, as both Taurii with studded Hakka 2 tires did fine (the truck with the Coopers did fine too) in the last storm, when others in 4wd trucks and SUVs here in the Portland area were making the national news. I saw a fair number of trucks and SUVs chained up, which I don't see around here very often, and also a fair number sliding sideways and backwards thru parking lots and on roads.

If I did it over again I'd make sure that the dealer installs the proper studs, the Cooper M+S seems to take a heavier stud than typical tires, and I'd even look at finding some 'rally studs' with heavier tungsten studs that aren't oversize.

What size?
What pressures are you running in the Toyos?

Procomp AT
BFG AT T/A KO

Look for a tire with the mountain/snowflake on them. M+S is too generic of a tire rating!

BFG ATs and Goodyear Silent Armor ATs are some of the few 'regular' truck tires that are also severe snow rated. BFG ATs seems to work well in the winter except on smooth ice. The Cooper Discoverer M+S is also severe snow rated, but it's a dedicated snow tire that will wear more quickly in warmer weather. The Cooper seems kind of popular among truck owners who plow in the winter.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Winterforce&tireModel=M+S

Winterforce. This is the 3rd winter I've used 'em. Grips the snow well. I go so slow when there is ice on the road that I can not rate ice traction but at the speeds I drive on ice these tires fare as well as any tire I've used and, perhaps, better then most. Subjective rating without scientific methodology and lack of instrumentation requires the seat-of-the-pants methodology combined with subjective opining and that's my story and I'm sticking too it.

I would buy these again, especially considering their lower price when compared to higher-cost snow tires.

If shekels are no object the Blizzaks or one of the other expensive very-highly-rated rotating round things may be preferable.

The Winterforce do well on dry roads..... for me. However, Coot is not a gear-head hot rodder leaving a trail of death, destruction and frazzled nerves among the motoring public behind hisself. Nope.

The Winterforce are directional tires and are studdable. For a winter tire they appear to be lasting a decent amount of miles with little apparent tread wear.

Overall, the quasi-official Coot rating for these meats is 4 salami sticks out of five.

Nokian Hakkepeliita are arguably some of the best snow tires made. The LT's are very pricey but reputed to last a long long time. I'm might buy a set of 215/85/16's for my XJ when my current cooper knock-offs wear out.

I have a set of the passenger car Hakka 1's on my wifes Subaru, insane is all I can say, basically can't brake them loose on just about anything. They are very heavily studded, very loud. My only fear is what happens when my wife drives a normally equipped car in the snow.

We've owned and worn out two sets of Blizzaks on the Subaru and compared to the Nokians they are a joke. Ice traction fair, snow traction poor IMHO. They excel in hardpacked snow on hard pavement but that's about it. I own a set of BFG TA/KO for the XJ, they certainly don't compare to a real snow tire. I haven't driven a non-studded tire that I found satisfactory, though they may exist.

I like the look of the Winterforce pattern. I'll give those a serious look when the time comes.

A truly good snow tire will not last a long time, as it will have a soft compound. I run two sets of wheels and tires to make it easy to take the snows off as soon as it gets warm.

You may want to consider going narrower, 10.5" is going to be underwhelming in slush and deep snow regardless of the tire. I used to commute with a guy with a Dakota, I think he ran four studded 225/75/15, very reasonable performance for a 2wd.

Quote:

Cooper Discoverer M+S, which I have on my Pathfinder, are winter rated, way cheaper and quieter than the BFGs, and seem to be wearing well. But I just put them on in the fall so I don't know how they'd do for wear if used year-round.

I run Cooper Weathermaster ST2 on my two cars and Cooper Discoverer ATR's on my truck...love them all!
I actually thought about getting the cooper M+S but I plan on doing a lot of highway driving this summer.

Lets keep this on track so that folks can share useful information and we can all learn. 9-year olds will not be allowed to proceed, so stop the petty arguments.

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back