BEST oil for 1999 Yamaha Roadster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine is currently using 20w-50 oil in the following motorcycle. I say it's too heavy. What would you suggest

1999 Yamaha Roadstar
1601 CC V-twin pushrod engine
35,000 miles
Ceramic coated cyliners
Air cooled

What weight/brand do you think would work best? Thanks

You opened a can 'o worms! Right now I have Mobil 1 15w/50 in my air/oil cooled Nighthawk (60K miles). Probably switch to Rotella 5w/40 only because that's what the Wing uses. I use 20w/50 dino whatever in my old KZ.

i think i remember reading the yam's like 50 weight. also make sure your yam had the transmission recalled performed! there was a massive recall on the 1600's. had something to do with the 2nd gear i believe.. since the bike is only air cooled i think thicker oil would be a smart move.

I guess I should have been clearer when I said the oil was "too thick." Even though I assume the oil he is using is dino (I forgot to ask), I just thought a 50 weight dino wouldn't hold up. I was really thinking that Mobil's motorcyle oil (10w40 something or another), or another synthetic, might be better, as 40 weight synthetics might perform and protect better than 50 weight dinos.

I sent him this link, so I hope he'll become a member so he can add to this post.

The trend I see is: Redlines big v twin oil is 20w50, amsoils big vtwin oil is 20w50, royal purples big v twin oil is 20w50. 1999 Yamaha Roadstar 1601 CC V-twin pushrod aircooled engine is about as v twin as it gets. A metric harley if you will.

Take a look at the test I posted and you will notice a lot of 50 weight oils shear to a 40 weight. A lot of 40 weight oils shear to a 30 weight. So why not start with a 40 weight that does not shear?

How about the Havoline Synthetic 5w-40 available at Big Lots for $3/qt? Would that work witht this bike? And it that might be "too thin", how about spiking it with a little VSOT?

I use at the moment 20-50 Schaeffer's racing oil, and on the bottle it says also for V-Twin motorcycles,
schaeffer's is a good oil, my K&N Dist. wants me to try this 15-50 synthetic called Alisyn, he beleives it is one of the best if not hte best oil out thier, but too each his own, just do your research and make a decision from that.

Ron

Quote:

PS, this is for my 1999 Roadstar, the above statement.

Ron

Oh... I was thinking roadster, as the title of the thread implied.
laugh.gif

1931_Ford_Roadster.jpg

Didn't know Yamaha made any roadsters...
laugh.gif
fruit.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back