SuperTech 5w-30 in a MTD snowblower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
After the beating that we just took (14" of snow and 40-45 mph winds), my snowblower has run more in the last 48 hours, than I think it has run in the previous 5 years combined that I've owned it. And this was all hard use...the snow was between 1'-2' (a few areas were 3') deep everywhere, running at near or full throttle.

Yesterday, it had run several hours non-stop in one stretch (I left it idling on the trailer between jobs, so it wouldn't freeze up). After all was done, I noticed that the oil was actually turning dark.

Changed the oil last night in anticipation of the next forecast of snowfall (which is this weekend, unfortunately).

Instead of its normal oil, I bought a quart of SuperTech Syn 5w-30 for it. At $2.97 a quart, it was hard to set it back down on the shelf. (Especially when yellow bottle Pennzoil is only .50 a quart less).

One thing that I don't understand, is that Tecumseh actually states that straight SAE 10 weight oil is one of their recommended oils for -20 to +40 f. Maybe my way of thinking is off, but I'd have a hard time in using straight 10 weight in any engine. I've only used it before as a hydraulic fluid.

Curious to see how it goes. I've seen some UOA's for SuperTech syn that look really good. I know that this is far from being a high tech application, but for 50 cents more, why not? If nothing else, it should start easier.

BTW... Snowblower is a 22" dual stage MTD with a 5hp Techumseh Snow King engine.

My dad has a 30+ year old MTD Snow King that states it can use 5w20 in cold temps. I wonder where you could find such an oil back then. He's always used 30 wt and the last few years has used M1 5w30. That engine is hard to pull start no matter what oil is in there.

I'm running ST syn 5w30 in my tecumseh powered 8hp blower. Great stuff. The latest storm up my way made me rope start the thing at six degrees. Usually snow events have temps at least at 25.

My boss has a drum of Ursa 10w diesel oil that the dealer included with his snowblower. Makes me feel a little better knowing it's closer to 20 weight at temp.

When I first started pumping gas 40+ years ago, about the only multi-weight oil you could get was 10W-30 (and maybe 20W-40???)
10W & 20W-20 oils were fairly common. Most gas stations even had the 20 in bulk. This was in N. ID, so winters could get cold.
30 weight and 6V systems didn't fare that well when it was near 0.
frown.gif
frown.gif

I have the same snowblower in 24", about the same age, currently running the Amsoil ASL 5w-30 in it. I change it once a year. These 5HP engines work EXTREMELY hard and are air cooled, I wouldn't run anything thinner.

I actually think that 5HP is not enough power even for only 24". I can stall mine pretty easily if I don't modulate the speed and depth of "cut" effectively. Given my 200' driveway my next blower will likely have at least 8 if not 11 HP.

I'd preferred Amsoil, but honestly, wasn't expecting this much snow this season, and didn't have it on hand. The 5w-30 came in handy after I trailered the snowblower home from the last job last night. 8 degrees below zero (after being pulled through the wind behind my truck at 50mph for 20 miles). It was a little stiff, but started on the first pull.

If you have the same motor on a 24" model, then yes, you are a tad bit underpowered. Mine does OK, have never stalled it yet.

I'm thinking about selling mine this coming fall, and upgrading as well. I could probabaly sell mine to my next door neighbor, for a price that both of us would be happy with. The other thing that I want for next winter, is one of these, to carry it in behind my Silverado. Pulling it around on a trailer is no fun.

http://prohoists.com/Products/photos/13.jpg

Quote:

My dad has a 30+ year old MTD Snow King that states it can use 5w20 in cold temps. I wonder where you could find such an oil back then. He's always used 30 wt and the last few years has used M1 5w30. That engine is hard to pull start no matter what oil is in there.

Back then, in the 60's and early 70's, I was into 10w40 oil, and usually added a can of STP at every oil change. Then, about 1975, they came out with Mobil One synthetic, and it was initially available in 5w20 weight. It was claimed to be the equivalent of regular oil in 10w40 weight. Anyway, you could get 5w20 weight at least in Mobil 1 back then.

Quote:

i run 5W-30 ST dino in my similar blower...
and you call that snow??
42" here.

I wish I was home to enjoy it. I just love running the snowblower for some reason. I had a friend of mine snowblow the driveway three times for my wife in the last few days via email. He didn't seem to notice the easy starting group IV 5w-30, but he did say that he liked the blower. I'm in southern Sweden on business, no snow here, hovering around freezing.

Quote:

The other thing that I want for next winter, is one of these, to carry it in behind my Silverado. Pulling it around on a trailer is no fun.

http://prohoists.com/Products/photos/13.jpg

That thing looks pretty handy.

I need to get myself a small utility trailer, say 5'x9'.

I've moved mine on my hitch hauler behind the Jeep, now that was comical. I stacked some pallets as a ramp and drove it up under power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back