Opinions pls: ProStop brake Pads & Rotors ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about some Pep Boys ProStop pads & rotors for my Mazda3 daily driver. Any1 ever used them?
Opinions are welcomed pls!

I have not been to Pep Boys for 20+ years. Unsure what grade the ProStop pads are. I would suggest as a minimum you get one grade up from the cheapest ones. That is normally a semi metallic pads with lifetime warranty. Why are you replacing rotors? Are they badly scored?

I think there are three "classes" of Pro pads. Tirerack.com carries all three and I've had real good luck with their Akebono Pro top of the line. Others might be better or not, don't know which of the three Pep Boys carry. They are profit driven so search for the best value.

Hi guys: thanks for the feedback.
The ProStop pads are Ceramic is all is I know about them.
Rotors are not scored (as fasr as I can feel), but they are inexpensive enough to change out to match the pads.

If rotors are not causing brake pedal pulsations, I would not machine or replace them. TH says "You may create the problem you seek to avoid". I unfortunatly have failed on numerous occasions to follow this advice, usually to my subsequent regret.

good luck

I used them on my rear wheels and regretted it. I went with a more expensive semi-metallic. The higher end ceramic pads seem to work well on my wife's Pathfinder. Don't really know if this answers your question. I have learned not to try and save money on brakes. Brakes are too important.

Quote:

If rotors are not causing brake pedal pulsations, I would not machine or replace them. TH says "You may create the problem you seek to avoid". I unfortunatly have failed on numerous occasions to follow this advice, usually to my subsequent regret.

good luck

Interested in your experience & why?

Each auto parts store seems to have different levels quality brake pads. I went to auto-zone and asked for the factory recommended pads. The Toyota that they went on requires semi-metallic. I went with the premium pads. I think they were about 35 bucks. I have learned to stay away from the 14.99 bargain pads. Some may argue that the bargain pads work just fine, but I had some issues with the rotors. It might have been heat related. Anyway, I won't buy cheap pads again.

pep boys pro stop ceremic pads and rotors are great on my xterra. I have 23k on them with plenty of meat left. I prefer to install new pads and new rotors because they mate correctly also their inexpensive. I'll check it again at 30k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back