Please recomend oil for Pontiac Grand Prix GXP 5.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,I just purchased a 06 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP with the 5.3 V8,the car has 450 miles on it.When should I make the first oil change and what would be the best oil to use?I live in KS so we see temps from the 100's in the summer to below 0 in winter.I will only average about 5 miles a day almost all of it stop and go traffic and short trips.Most of the time not even getting up to full operating temps.I currently use Trop Artic 5W30 on my other cars.Would this be a good choice or would a synthetic like Mobil 1 be better?Thanks for all input!!!!

How often do you plan on changing the oil? If you're going to change it every 5k or less, stick with conventional.

As far as when to do the first oil change, you could safely take it to 3000 miles on the factory fill, although I'm sure others would disagree with me.

Quote:

As far as when to do the first oil change, you could safely take it to 3000 miles on the factory fill, although I'm sure others would disagree with me.

I won't! Any oil that the LSx based engine likes, yours will like. I would pick mine based on UOAs from others in a like climate to yours.

I have an 05 GXP LS4, now have 15000 miles on it. I left the factory fill in for 3000 miles and switched to Havoline 5w30. Have no oil issues and no usage between changes. I had 2 other LSx engines, a 1998 and a 2000 LS1 and both used oil and had a noisy ticking on Mobil 1. I also changed out the factory oil early on both and they used a quart every 1000 miles. I learned from my mistakes, so far this ones excellent, no noises and no oil usage.

You could go with a nice blend like Maxlife, Syntec, or Motorcraft. 5W-30 is the recommended grade; although, you could go with 10W-30 in the summer I'm thinking.
smile.gif

Thanks for all the quick replys Guys!I do plan on changing every 5k or less.I have read about this motor loosing oil between oil changes thrugh the PCV system.

All the recommendations here are good. If you want to go synthetic, I highly suggest you try and take advantage of any Pennzoil Platinum deals. At $1.99/qt. it's a synthetic steal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back