0w-10 or 5w-10 -- any cars using this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the automakers desiring to increase their Corporate Average Fuel Economies (CAFE), almost all of them have now switched to the thinner 5W-20 oil.

Any companies go so far as to recommend superthin 5W-10? (Like maybe a Prius or Civic hybrid?)

Nascar guys were using those back when they had qualifying engines. But now that they can't change the engine for the race they are using thicker oils.

Those 5w10 oils are probably "thick" 10 weights, almost a 5w20.
grin.gif

On a serious note, where can 5w10 oil be purchased?
dunno.gif
I've never seen it anywhere.

Quote:

With the automakers desiring to increase their Corporate Average Fuel Economies (CAFE), almost all of them have now switched to the thinner 5W-20 oil.

Any companies go so far as to recommend superthin 5W-10? (Like maybe a Prius or Civic hybrid?)

It's unfortunate that you think CAFE is the only reason auto makers have switched to thinner oils like 5w-20. Search, Read, and learn my friend.

I can not think of any reason why I would want to switch my engine to a thin 5W-10 oil. Except one: Decrease liquid resistance & thereby increase fuel economy.

Quote:

It's unfortunate that you think CAFE is the only reason auto makers have switched to thinner oils like 5w-20. Search, Read, and learn my friend.

What other reasons do automakers have to switch? Ford was one of the first and suggested the environmental bonus of switching to 5w20 but you can bet your bottom dollar it was indeed CAFE that was the overwhelming reason behind the switch.

The FIRST to switch to 0W-20 (yes you heard right) was Honda in their Insight hybrid. And that car only existed for one purpose: High MPG, and hence the thin-thin oil.

Then about two years later, Honda recommended the switch to 5W-20 for ALL their models. Ditto Ford. But the Honda Insight was the first to abandon the 5w-30.

(Honda Stealers still sell that 0W-20 oil if you want to use it.)

Little would surprise me as way back whenever we used straight 10 weight in the winter.

If they didnt switch to 5w20 for the CAFE, then why are the same Fords useing only 5w30 in Europe. The only difference is the CAFE. It saves the company money with the goverment, saves gas(they can claim better mileage) and the car will more than likely outlive its first owner on it.

Believe me, the whole "They use thicker oil everywhere else in the world!" argument was exhausted long before you joined bitog.

I'm not denying that CAFE was a part of the switch to thinner oil, but i don't think it played as big of a role as many think.

Lets assume for a minute that the switch to thinner oils was 100% because of CAFE, what difference does it make when these oils perform just as well as thicker oils?

Quote:

Nascar guys were using those back when they had qualifying engines. But now that they can't change the engine for the race they are using thicker oils.

Yeah...thicker like in 0w15 or 5w20.
grin.gif

I used M1 in the silver metal can 5w-20 flavor. Ran flat out in my Chevette from Carlisle to Pottsville (about 60 miles on the 4 lane) on I-81 4 nights a week (this yielded a whopping 99 mph) ..and that was the nicest I probably was to that engine (I went through 2 4 speeds in it) Never gave it a second thought and never had any ill effects from it (totaled @ 165k)
dunno.gif
Ran it in the 75 C20 SBC too ..

I don't know if we're going to be going any lighter in oils. Any lower and you're probably going to get outside the "give it to a consumer and it will survive" envelope. I think the further evolutions are probably going to expand the VI so that the cold and hot visc are closer to each other. That would probably yield lots of benefit.

Yes, I'm running a 0w-10 oil in an engine that was spec'd for 5w-30 and it appears to work well ..even with 220F+/- highway temps. Aside from sensing "nothing" ...I've nothing to report (yet -no UOA). It does truly start like it's summer time (remember that Sunoco 260 action
grin.gif
) in subfreezing weather. It's hard to sense "anti-heavy oil" feelings ..hence "nothing"
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back