ADBV inop. on Honda (made by Filtech) Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

garageman402

$100 Site Donor 2024
I drained the oil in my 92 Civic, and didn't have a filter wrench small enough for the tiny Honda filter. I tried a rubber grip wrench, not enough room to get leverage. After a trip to the local Kragens for a filter wrench (total elapsed time about 45 min.), there was no oil left in the filter. This filter mounts horizontally, in back of the engine.

I had two spare Honda filters, and I was switching from Honda Genuine (dino) to Redline oil, so I used one quart to flush the system (apparently one quart is enough, the oil light stayed off), and drained it after running about 20 min. The filter had oil in it then, but it was immediately after shut down.

I ordered some K&N filters and when they got here, I changed out the Honda filter (it had 500 miles on it) after sitting overnight. Yes, the filter was empty again, I didn't even need a drain pan.

I have been reading these and other forums, and some say the K&N is the only premium filter with a nitrile ADBV, the others have a silicone ADBV, which is supposedly more heat resistant. Anybody else had experience with this? I would have never found this out if I had the right filter wrench, I always remove the filter right away, while it is still hot.

I cut open the old Honda filter, there was residue around the sealing surface of the ADBV on the base plate, don't know if that caused it. I also noticed there is no metal end plate, just a disc of filter material (at least it looks like it) about half the diameter of the element itself. This allows the use of a smaller can, the element contacts the inside of the can. This would be a prime candidate for oil flowing across the dirty side when in bypass mode. The K&N is a larger diameter, as there is a metal endcap, and the oil needs to go around that when in bypass mode, probably a better design.

Any Honda owners had this happen to them? Is there a possibility the oil drained back through the outlet side of the filter? Does the oil galley go downward from there? Is there a chance it siphons out oil through the bearings or lifters?

Thanks for any input,

Bob

Is the filter mounted high on the engine? My girlfriend's MX-6 has an empty filter every time I change it, so I think it naturally drains through the outlet. At first, I blamed Purolator. But it does the same thing with NAPA Gold and Supertech.

Quote:

I drained the oil in my 92 Civic, and didn't have a filter wrench small enough for the tiny Honda filter. I tried a rubber grip wrench, not enough room to get leverage. After a trip to the local Kragens for a filter wrench (total elapsed time about 45 min.), there was no oil left in the filter. This filter mounts horizontally, in back of the engine.

I had two spare Honda filters, and I was switching from Honda Genuine (dino) to Redline oil, so I used one quart to flush the system (apparently one quart is enough, the oil light stayed off), and drained it after running about 20 min. The filter had oil in it then, but it was immediately after shut down.

I ordered some K&N filters and when they got here, I changed out the Honda filter (it had 500 miles on it) after sitting overnight. Yes, the filter was empty again, I didn't even need a drain pan.

I have been reading these and other forums, and some say the K&N is the only premium filter with a nitrile ADBV, the others have a silicone ADBV, which is supposedly more heat resistant. Anybody else had experience with this? I would have never found this out if I had the right filter wrench, I always remove the filter right away, while it is still hot.

I cut open the old Honda filter, there was residue around the sealing surface of the ADBV on the base plate, don't know if that caused it. I also noticed there is no metal end plate, just a disc of filter material (at least it looks like it) about half the diameter of the element itself. This allows the use of a smaller can, the element contacts the inside of the can. This would be a prime candidate for oil flowing across the dirty side when in bypass mode. The K&N is a larger diameter, as there is a metal endcap, and the oil needs to go around that when in bypass mode, probably a better design.

Any Honda owners had this happen to them? Is there a possibility the oil drained back through the outlet side of the filter? Does the oil galley go downward from there? Is there a chance it siphons out oil through the bearings or lifters?

Thanks for any input,

Bob

Are you sure it was a Filtech - A01, NOT A02. It almost sounds like you're describing the A02 (Fram) filter, especially where you say there's no metal end plate, but a disc of filter material - sounds like a Fram cardboard end cap.

Quote:

Are you sure it was a Filtech - A01, NOT A02. It almost sounds like you're describing the A02 (Fram) filter, especially where you say there's no metal end plate, but a disc of filter material - sounds like a Fram cardboard end cap.

Yep I'm sure, in fact I have the wrapper with the part number on it: 15400-PLM-A01 It says Filtech right on the can.

If you reference this thread with the pics, mine looks exactly like this:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/s...bixijk3ai2f92pf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back