60k on Bridgestone Potenza's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm impressed with the OEM tires for my car. I have almost 60k on them and they still have decent tread life. Havn't measured yet but I can tell they are still decent. I think one of the reasons they held up so well is because I keep about 38psi in all 4 tires.

Which Potenza? what vehicle?

I find that tires last longer with decent suspension(alignment) and I also run a little high on PSI. IMO, OEM spec'd PSI is simply for luxury.

I also check my PSI regularly(2-3 times a month). And, to improve snow traction, drop the PSI to 28 when the weatherman says so.

The extra PSI will also improve MPG.

I had factory Potenza's on my 2000 Protege ES. Dreadful beyond belief. Could barely keep it on the road in the rain and snow.....forget it.

Quote:

I find that tires last longer with decent suspension(alignment) and I also run a little high on PSI. IMO, OEM spec'd PSI is simply for luxury.

I also check my PSI regularly(2-3 times a month). And, to improve snow traction, drop the PSI to 28 when the weatherman says so.

Decreasing tire pressure decreases snow traction in most situations

The RE92 OEM on my Maxima were horrid; felt like slicks on any type of moist/wet surfaces. I did get 57K miles out of them, but decided to stop pushing my luck.

Quote:

Quote:

Decreasing tire pressure decreases snow traction in most situations

I've driven in enough snow and gotten stuck, and then unstuck by decreasing tire pressure. And I've helped others do the same, when their tires are at like 40 psi from the tire shops. A drop to 30 psi makes all the difference, and if your stuck in deep deep snow in a 4wd, a drastic drop to something like 15 psi is the difference between being stranded and getting home.

I personally would never recommend to anyone to jack up their tire pressure to aid in snow traction.

Last edited:
Quote:

I'm impressed with the OEM tires for my car. I have almost 60k on them and they still have decent tread life.

If treadlife is the only criteria, then I guess one could be impressed. On another hand, I have yet to find a long-wearing tire that has enough grip to satisfy my performance requirements. As a result, I usually end up getting tires with much shorter treadflife (20-25k miles). Of course, different strokes for different folks...
laugh.gif

As for Potenzas in particular, there are about 15 different ones, so I'm not sure which ones you're referring to. I had the OEM RE92 on the company Sentra and they were nothing to write home about, as all OEM tires that I experienced. Poor wet grip, noisy, and wore out in about 30-35k miles.

I also had the Potenza S03 on my old A4 - those provided loads of grip (dry and wet) and great steering response, although at the expense of some noise, tramlining, and overall uncomfortable ride, but again, I don't think comfort was the designers' priority when building this tire. Got about 25k miles out of them.

I think mine(RE92a 215/45/17) may approach the 50k mark on our Subaru Legacy GT. There wet traction is ho-hum and winter is not wonderful, however the rating of 160UTOG seems pretty arbitrary however its an OEM tire and why bother caring on that.

I currently have a set of Michelin Hydroedge tires on the Saturn, P185/65R15. (OE size) They are Michelin's current flagship passenger tire, and are considered to be performance all-season radials carrying a 90,000 mi treadwear warranty and a 800 Treadlife rating. We paid a hair over $500 for four tires installed, tax included.

They don't have this tire in the factory size of your accord, but you can easily plus size them slightly by increasing the section width by 10, and dropping the aspect ratio by 5. They should fit perfectly, but you may have some issues getting them installed.

EX: The OE size on your Accord is P205/60R16, a plus size would be P215/55R16.

Me too!
60k on Turanza LS, still decent.
30k on Potenza 950s and still have plenty of tread.
Great on the dry and wet. Horrible in snow and ice.

69,000 on them now. They are at the point now where Im' going to consider replacing them. I have always put 37psi in them.

Had several customers pull them off with tread left because they thought them bad to hydroplane. Several others pull them with low miles but peeled onion slick because of drastically accelerated wear from gravel road use (5-10 mi daily). Personally prefer the ones with tread still left (cash sale into pocket!!!)

Bob

Just this week I picked up a set of Potenza G009's. I've only driven a few hundred miles, but they seem fine. UTOG 460 A A. Previously I was running Michelin MXV4 Energy tires, replacing two at a time as they wore out, and getting about 50k or a little bit longer I think. I got tired of paying the high price.

I considered the MXV4 Primacy, which has a longer treadlife. And several others... but it seemed like the ones I liked the most were all in the process of being discontinued.

The only real downside I can see with the Potenza G009 is that it's a directional tire, so I can't rotate side-to-side, only front to back.

I am considering the G009s for my BMW at some point. How is noise and wet traction? Most tire shops rotate front to back on same side. They have done this on my BMW with no issues.

Quote:

I am considering the G009s for my BMW at some point. How is noise and wet traction? Most tire shops rotate front to back on same side. They have done this on my BMW with no issues.

I installed a set of Bridgestone Potenza G009 on my 2001 Taurus in September 2005. They're excellent.

Whilst I can't comment on longevity (currently have only 12,000 miles on them), I will say they are rock solid in rain/snow. For example, shortly after purchase I was running over 80 mph on I-95 south of Petersburg, VA on dry road when suddenly I came upon a brief but heavy rain squall. Traction was rock solid; needless to say I was highly impressed by this. Handling is very precise.

Additionally, noise may be an issue for some but it doesn't bother me. I love these tyres.

I take good care of them. Rotate every 5K and run 35 psi in front for FWD Taurus and 30 psi in rear.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:

Iain,
Can you tell me more about noise?. It was my understanding the G009s were quiet. Thanks

Generally, they are quiet on most road surfaces with a barely perceptible whinge. Most times G009 tyre noise is unnoticeable. However, that whinge will increase intensity and become noticeable on certain road surfaces such as bridges and unusual types of paved road surfaces, for example.

I noticed this immediately after they were installed as previous tyres were quiet but completely worn.
dunno.gif

Thanks, my Turanza LS-H tires seem to be getting a bit louder as they age at about 53,000 miles. Still looks like a good tire. Tread sure looks nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back