Toyota's NASCAR Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Quote:

OK, so I have a new appreciation for the pushrod. I just might check out a race one time when they run on a real track. You know, the kind with both kinds of turns.
grin.gif

Wow, you're a moron. Ever heard of Watkins Glen? Should be a short drive for you to check out the yearly Nextal Cup race there.
pat2.gif

They should switch one of the Pocono races to the road course there, even closer to him.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

OK, so I have a new appreciation for the pushrod. I just might check out a race one time when they run on a real track. You know, the kind with both kinds of turns.
grin.gif

Wow, you're a moron. Ever heard of Watkins Glen? Should be a short drive for you to check out the yearly Nextal Cup race there.
pat2.gif

They should switch one of the Pocono races to the road course there, even closer to him.

Not likely. Pocono's road course has been neglected for years and is in poor shape. Beaverun would be a better option.

im not much into nascar, more nhra/ihra drag racing. but i do think they would switch to efi if they were given the opportunity.

i remember a few years ago, that warren johnson said he would switch to efi as soon as nhra allowed it. granted pro stock cars have to push that huge hood scoop through the air. but it would offer better tunability. but then the tech officials would have to step up their game.

Quote:

im not much into nascar, more nhra/ihra drag racing. but i do think they would switch to efi if they were given the opportunity.

i remember a few years ago, that warren johnson said he would switch to efi as soon as nhra allowed it. granted pro stock cars have to push that huge hood scoop through the air. but it would offer better tunability. but then the tech officials would have to step up their game.

If they were allowed EFI, the Pro Stockers would not need those huge "mailboxes" on their hoods!! They could run a lower profile "crossram" individual throttle body setup (a la the earlier C5R road race Vettes), and take in air from the front, fed to airboxes on top of the ITBs.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

grin.gif

pat2.gif

Not likely. Pocono's road course has been neglected for years and is in poor shape. Beaverun would be a better option.

Maybe. But it is still good enough for the SCCA to run regionals/nationals there. I guess they just set all of their dampers (shocks) to "full soft" when they have to run there??

Come to think of it why doesn't Toyota buy a crate motor from one of the companies that build NASCAR engines because the the race Toyotas are no more Toyota than Ford race cars are no more Fords and Chevrolet race cars are no more Chevrolet.To be honest about the whole thing.

Quote:

Quote:

If they were allowed EFI, the Pro Stockers would not need those huge "mailboxes" on their hoods!! They could run a lower profile "crossram" individual throttle body setup (a la the earlier C5R road race Vettes), and take in air from the front, fed to airboxes on top of the ITBs.

thats what i meant to say. i was tire when i made that post. yes they could eliminate all that. and i believe warren said that it takes 50hp to drive that thing through the 200mph wind.

what i was trying to say was that nascars wouldnt have that huge benefit of being able to eliminate their hood scoop since they dont have one.

The toyota engine thats in their cars is the same as the one in the ford, chevy and dodge. Nascar is Pushrod engine only.

Speaking of pushrod engines, remember back in 94 when Mercedes returned to Indy for the first time in decades and won? It was a two-car race between the Mercedes cars almost from the start. How did they do it? By utilizing the same rules regarding PUSHROD engines that Buick had used for years which allowed more displacement and more boost on the turbos. One would assume the rationale behind the rules regarding pushrod engines was to help "compensate" for this inherently "inferior" design for racing engines. Hah! Mercedes showed 'em. Indy fans were treated to a rare site: An entire race where two cars were so far out in front of the field it was surreal.

Yes they were Roger's cars/team. So much for the "absolute inferiority" of OHV/pushrod engines, yes, albeit with a "multiplication factor" (which is also used by the FIA in other forms of racing, WRC, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back