Toyota's NASCAR Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Anybody have any good information on the engines the Toyota teams are running in NASCAR this year?

Be careful, you will be accused of being part of a covert conspiracy which has Toyota taking over the U.S. and even your patriotism will be called into question.
coffee.gif

Well I've "heard" it is a Toyota truck engine brought up to speed...here are a few links that may help....Strange though....all the other manufacturers are open and sell the engines/parts to private individuals but not Toyota....anyway here are a few "quotes" that may help (or not)
Toyota submits engine: Toyota has submitted its proposed Nextel Cup engine to NASCAR but is still awaiting a response, Lee White, Toyota Racing Development senior vice president, said Monday. The Toyota teams at the "car of tomorrow" test at Michigan were using truck motors with Cup-approved carburetors. "The engine that we're using here is essentially a hot-rodded truck engine," White said. "It's a truck engine brought up to Cup power specifications. It's not the engine that we will be racing in February in Daytona." White said he presented the block and cylinder head to NASCAR two weeks ago. "It's really a matter of them getting all of the right people in one place ... to look at the parts and talk about what the engineers are seeing and make sure they agree with the box that they've described," White said. "Once that's done, I would expect that we would have final approval. At this point, there's no indication that there is any issue."(SceneDaily.com)(8-22-2006)

NASCAR Wants Toyota to Open Up: It may be impossible to buy a Toyota racing engine or parts to build one. NASCAR is looking for a way to open up Toyota's engine program so that it's open to the independent motor builders. The big three, Chevrolet, Ford and Dodge have open programs so that anyone wishing to build one of those engines, can buy the parts and construct one. But Toyota's program is closed and doesn't allow the independent builders to buy the parts. It's not available to anyone not a part of the Toyota Racing family.(Insider Racing News)(10-7-2006)
http://www.fastmachines.com/archives/nascar/001066.php

Leaks coming out of Florida ( insert NASCAR Rumor disclaimer here) that sterno was found in the Toyota intake. That's a no no and will get you suspended.

Quote:

Here's some older info:

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/automotivetech/03a91196aeb84010vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html

Looks like they used the Craftsman Truck Series engine as a starting base.

Quote:

This forced the team at Toyota Racing Development (TRD) -- one of the largest racing operations in North America but a Nascar virgin -- to start from scratch.

"We told them to take a look around at the engines in the garage," Nascar R&D director Gary Nelson says. "We said, ?We're not going to tell you what valve angle to use, for example. But go smaller than the largest and larger than the smallest.'" In other words, no thinking outside the box.

Trouble is, nobody knew the precise dimensions of that box. "So we had to reverse engineer the Chevy, Ford and Dodge engines," says Lee White, general manager of TRD. "We measured 3,000 block castings and 2,000 cylinder head castings for each one -- 15,000 total."

The TRD team set out to incorporate the best features of each engine, while hunting for Nascar-legal design tweaks.

I found that funny. For a lot less effort, they could have bought a heap of back issues of Circle Track and a few HP books, spent an enjoyable number of days reading, and had the basic dimensions, deck heights, rod ratios, valve angles, port flows etc etc.

Throw in the published fixes around inherent weaknesses, and the engineering might of Toyota, and you'd not need to see a single NASCAR engine in the flesh

Quote:

I've never understood the NASCAR thing. Pushrods and carburetors in their brand new high tech racing engine?

Yup, and upwards of 9500 rpms for 500 miles with that low tech garbage.

I always tell people, watch one of the Bristol races before you write off Nascar.

It's certainly high tech.

BTW, I saw my first Offy in the flesh the other day. What's high tech about OHC, pentroof chambers etc ?

Quote:

It's certainly high tech.

BTW, I saw my first Offy in the flesh the other day. What's high tech about OHC, pentroof chambers etc ?

Bingo.

The first DOHC engines were two valve per cylinder designs from companies like Fiat (1912), Peugeot (1913), Alfa Romeo (6C- 1925, 512 - 1940), Maserati (Tipo 26, 1926), and Bugatti (Type 51, 1931).

Think metallurgical, mechanical and manufacturing technology to advance the pushrod design to where it is today.

Quote:

Think metallurgical, mechanical and manufacturing technology to advance the pushrod design to where it is today.

That's what I keep telling the guys at work. Harry Ricardo had engines getting 0.45lb/hphr consumption running on kerosene. In his book he showed a Vauxhaull F1 engine of the early years of the 1900s. DOHC, pentroof, 4 valves per cylinder, and turn of the century metallurgy.

Are you guys saying that if cost and rules did not prohibit the use of OHC, pushrods are still the best way to get power from a given displacement?

Nope,
just that the pushrod engines that they are using a VERY high tech.
OHC might be an easier way to get power (displacement times RPM), and if rules were no object, I'm sure that they'd be using them.

BTW, pushrod V engines take up a lot less space than OHC V engines, so can be better packaged into a typical street car . They are still valid and manufactured.

Quote:

BTW, pushrod V engines take up a lot less space than OHC V engines, so can be better packaged into a typical street car . They are still valid and manufactured.

Good point. Look at the outside dimensions of the GM's LS-X versus Ford's Modular V8s. Then compare CID and HP produced given the volume of space they occupy and the weight of the engines.

OK, so I have a new appreciation for the pushrod. I just might check out a race one time when they run on a real track. You know, the kind with both kinds of turns.
grin.gif

Quote:

OK, so I have a new appreciation for the pushrod. I just might check out a race one time when they run on a real track. You know, the kind with both kinds of turns.
grin.gif

Wow, you're a moron. Ever heard of Watkins Glen? Should be a short drive for you to check out the yearly Nextal Cup race there.
pat2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back