Tundra/Toyota Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was an article in our local paper. I don't know the extent of the V8 problem below, but it did show up in the Consumer Affairs section farther below. It apparently was a problem for 5 years.

It supports the complaints about JD Powers and other surveys, probably even Consumer Reports, as neither seem to do well predicting such issues like this, or even a bigger one like the Honda transmission problem (evidently the Tundra such issues too, reading below). This is expected though, as survey pretty much about rattles won't tend to correlate with reliability and/or durability.

http://www.oregonlive.com/info/drivetime....xml&coll=7

Is manifold work for amateurs?
Saturday, February 10, 2007
CHIP KEEN SPECIAL WRITER

Q: I own a 2001 Tundra Pickup with 80,000 miles on it. I am currently preparing to replace its second exhaust manifold because of cracks. After the dealer quoted $950 for replacement of a part which I've seen fail in the past, I've wondered about alternatives such as aftermarket headers. Can the stock exhaust manifold, which I understand is stainless steel, be repaired with any degree of success? I've also been considering tackling the removal and installation myself, having what I consider to be intermediate-level mechanical skills. -- Jim Bordenkircher, Milwaukie

A: No Toyota factory bulletins or www.iatn.net postings shed light on your Tundra's plight, so I turned for guidance to my friend Brian Smith, an ASE-certified Service Advisor for Integrity Auto, a Toyota specialty repair shop in southeast Portland (www.integrityautoinc.com).

He hasn't let me down: "Indeed, Toyota had a problem with exhaust manifolds on the V-8, 4.7-liter, 2UZ-FE engines that affected the Sequoia, Land Cruiser and Tundra in model years 1999-2004.

"The most common problem is that the oxygen sensor will need replacement and be seized in the manifold. The other common problem is that the tubes crack around the collector where the manifold bolts to the exhaust pipe. Sometimes they tend to crack where the tubes come out of the mounting plate on the exhaust manifold.

"The answer to any of these problems is to replace the exhaust manifold. Toyota doesn't have a recall or campaign to replace the manifold for free unless the vehicle is still within the three-year/36,000 mile warranty period.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/toyota_tundra.html

Detroit is worried sick -- and rightly so -- that Asian trucks will eat away at the highly profitable market for trucks, which is about all Detroit has left in the U.S. The problems plaguing owners of Ford, DaimlerChrysler and GM trucks will certainly drive many into the waiting arms of Toyota et al ... but no manufacturer is without problems, as Toyota Tacoma and Tundra owners have learned the hard way.

awww come on 1sttruck... everyone knows that toyota and honda are without fault, and that your gross polluter-mobile is a POS
wink.gif

Of course Im kidding, but you know this sort of sentiment exists in force.

JMH

If it were Ford or GM the toy ota owners would chime in and say how they have inferior engineering. Since this is a toy-ota they will be here any minute now to make a bunch of excuses on how toy ota has no fault in this issue and no problem really exists.

JB Weld sounds good.
wink.gif

Actually, Toyota's problems are much less compared to GM/Ford/DC's. Do Tundras have leaking intake manifold gaskets, frying transmissions, and self-destructing field pumps?
wink.gif

popcorn.gif

"Do Tundras have leaking intake manifold gaskets, frying transmissions, and self-destructing field pumps?"

That's why I provided the 2nd link, check for yourself; brakes, tranny problems, exhaust manifolds, ball joints causing wrecks, etc.

Toyota has not promised perfection (though Lexus does promise the "relentless pursuit" thereof). No car maker has ever delivered perfection, and I don't expect that any ever will. What they will do is engage in cut-throat competition while supplying extremely complex machines to the public, in large numbers, to serve in incredibly harsh environments of various descriptions. Even the weaker car makers are today doing a pretty good job, all things considered.

FWIW, we owned an early 2001 Sequoia (which, of course, is the SUV sibling of the Tundra) for five years, and this vehicle was the closest to flawless of any I've ever owned, import or domestic. I'm sure that some unlucky owners have had some problems, but if I were buying another such vehicle, I'd take one of these over the competition in a heartbeat.

Toyota's 20R engine of the 1970s was notorious for cracking exhaust manifolds.

In California (other states, also?) the lengthy government-mandated warranty covering pollution control required Toyota to replace the manifold. Believe it was up to 100,000 miles or so.

Mine cracked at 70K so took it to the Concord CA Toyota dealer. Picked it up the next day. They had replaced the manifold, cat convertor, and all the exhaust pipes except the one connecting the manifold to the cat convertor since they said it was in very good condition.

Oh what a feeling!!!!!!!

If only the Chevy dealer was so gracious.

I am not enthralled with the service received from Chevy. Tired of hearing "Can't find a problem," or "We can't replicate the problem." What a slick way to save GMC money.... offer a warranty but refrain from honoring it.

Going to try a different dealer to see if that helps. Keeping all dealer-provided documentation for the several times the truck has gone in for warranty work. Will create the proverbial "paper trail" to hopefully eventually force Chevy to fix those pesky problems. Nothing wrong, yet, that prevents motorvating down the boulevard but am worried about long-term ability to continue positive propulsion across the highways and byways of the unfruited plain and various mountain ranges that get in the way.

Pondering if I should have bought a Toyota truck vice "American-type" truck. If a manufacturer places priority upon customer satisfaction and stands behind their product with any needed repair, parts replacements, possible replacement with improved upgraded parts etc. I am willing to work with the manufacturer.

Sadly, I woulda' thunk that Chevy would be able to create a reliable truck after all these years of accumulated knowledge.

And, to ensure long-term corporate survival.... one would think that efforts to ensure customer satisfaction would be paramount. As it stands...... Old Coot kinda' doubts that a GMC product will ever be considered again when it's time to procur a new conveyance.

A little off topic, but I have a friend with an 01 Jeep Wrangler (4.0 V6) who has had the same problem. Two exhaust manifolds in 90,000 miles.

If it happens to Mom's I will make her a set of headers! S far so good though! All companies have some issues it all about the number of issues though. GM had this same issue on their 454's for a long time and went to a stainless steel cast and welded tubular exhuast manifold. It was on their Kodiac truck line but a lot of RV owners buy these exhuast manifolds up for use on their RV's wich also suffer from cracks,burnt valves,over heating and sludge.

Quote:

The answer is not no, it's yes, Tundras have problems, some major, some chronic lasting years, some both, some minor. But everyone can pretend otherwise, just hold your hands over ears, close your eyes, keep wishing good things.....

I'm not sure who you are referring to. Can you be more specific?

I had an '02 Tundra. Bad brakes? Yes, and Toyota remedied the problem, no charge as they did many, many others. There was a TSB that addressed the issue. At 45,000 miles I received new rotors, calipers, backing plates, brake lines and repacked the front wheel bearings at NO CHARGE.

It was TOYOTA'S FAULT and Toyota stepped up to the plate. Good on them.

Did I have transmission problems? Yes, I did. The transmission, manufactured by Aisan, blew at 53,000 miles.

It wasn't Toyota's fault but Toyota stepped up to the plate and replaced it at no charge, even covering the rental car for three days. Good on them again.

BTW, Aisan manufactures transmissions for many other automakers, including Porsche.

Larry,

Just to clarify your post somewhat. It was Toyota's fault that the transmission blew. They put their name on the package. The brakes weren't made by Toyota either, but it was their fault b/c it's part of the overall vehicle.

"Did I have transmission problems? Yes, I did. The transmission, manufactured by Aisan, blew at 53,000 miles....It wasn't Toyota's fault..."

That's enough denial to suggest a cult of some sort. Do people buy Toyotas without transmissions and have them towed to a Toyota Transmission Supplier ? The Five Star Dealers tow your truck to the transmission dealer, or provide in house dealers ?

Detroit makes bad trucks because they problems, and Toyota makes good trucks but they have problems with exhaust manifolds, brakes, ball joints, transmissions.....

I'm just wondering. Are you trying to criticize Toyota from a neutral standpoint to prove that they are less than perfect, or are you merely trying to express your anti-Toyota sentiment?

gonna to stay out of this one.
I own three Toyota.
'99(87k)and '05(22k)camrys and my Truck.
an '02 4x4 Tundra with 85k.
so far the only issue I have had is a bad ABS computer at 35k.
Exhaust manifolds,ball-joints,trans failures and seat belts that don't retract are recurring issues that I haven't had.
I watch the sludger '99 like a hawk.
I have had good and bad dealers.
The reason I tried Toyota was because of muliptle problems with the five new previos American cars.
I wanted to have less car troubles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back