1992 Honda Accord 4cyl. Oil Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter has her first car and it needs an oil change. Will be doing it tommorow afternoon so no boutique oils or filters,just Autozone and Walmart type stuff. Hopefully it has an owners manual so I can check it`s capacity. Any oil advice? It has like 130 thousand miles and the oil was low(3/4 of a quart) when I checked when it was sitting in the driveway. Anyone know off hand what the oil capacity is,how`s the filter to get to?

Thanks in advance,

Jerry

I'd go with the 5qt container of Havoline 10w-30 at Wally World...or 5w-30 since you still have winter up there!

Run 5w-30 Castrol GTX. I've had a number of Accords, and it has always worked great. Less than $10 for 5 qt. jug at WalMart.

Perfect I have a 5qt jug of Havoline 5w-30, I've got some LC and I'll throw that in there too and pick up a ST filter. Think I should use like a rotella 5w-40 with the LC and the oil consumption?
driving.gif

4 quarts and the filter is attached vertically to the block at the back of the motor. I had a 92 2 door Accord (man I never should have sold that) and mine had 180000 miles or so, it really seemed to like Valvoline Maxlife 5w30.

I had the same car/year/engine/4door, used Pennzoil 5/10W-30 its whole life, and never had any engine problems, no consumption, no leakage, etc. That was before I knew much about motor oil, only to change it, usually between 3k and 3500. Never had any other problems other than normal maintenance, other than the CV joints, which typically go out about 100-130K.

If I had it today, I'd probably use TropArtic 5W-30 at WM for $1.68.

As for using Pennzoil, I'm not saying, I'm just saying...

Thanks for your advice guys! I had 2 quarts left in a 5 quart Havoline 5-30 jug. Went to Walmart and picked up another 5 quart jug of the same stuff. ST oil filters were sold out so I went with a Fram Extra-Guard
chairs.gif
. The oil drain plug was leaking a little and was loose
shocked.gif
. I didn`t get a new washer,just made sure it was good and tight(for an oil drain plug) when I put it back.

Poked around,air filter looked good,spark plug boots soaked in oil
smirk.gif
,plugs OK. Put 6 ounces of LC in the oil and 8 ounces of FP in the tank. Off to the fix it forum for valve cover gasket replacement advice!

Also did my Dads 07 Accord,4cyl. PP 5-20 and OEM oil filter.
patriot.gif

Thanks Papa Bear,I just asked about the timing belt in the mech tips forum. The AT and timing belt will be next after the valve cover gasket gets fixed. Probably have it flushed at local garage and have them do the timing belt too.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back