picking up new VW Passat 2.0t: which oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a 2.0t engine, the same as in the GTI and other VW/Audi vehicles. What would you guys recommend for this car? I didn't see much in the UOA section.

From what I've seen in the VW spec sheet, I'd use what I use in my SAAB 9-5. Mobil 1 0W-40. Widely available, and meets the VW spec; I have no way to e-mail you the .pdf as an attachment, or I'd just send it to you.

That engine seems to spit high wear metals. Runs a bit on the rich side as well. If anything, a shear stable 5W40 would deliver maximum wear protection, though, I highly doubt that any 502.00 oil will cause the engine to wear out prematurely based upon a typical owner's expectations.

Quote:

This is a 2.0t engine, the same as in the GTI and other VW/Audi vehicles. What would you guys recommend for this car? I didn't see much in the UOA section.

You may use:

VW 504
VW 502
VW 505.01

In a US import model, I'd go with VW 502; either 0W-30, 0W-40, 5W-30 or 5W-40.

I'd strongly second what the Critic has to say....

These engines shear the oil pretty badly and they tend to run high levels of fuel dilution. A thicker 5w-40 - even an HDEO - is going to give you better results in this application than a VW 502.00 rated, 0w-30/5w-30, or a 0w-40 like Mobil 1 that's going to shear like crazy within a few thousand miles.

I'd run a 5w-40 or 10w-40 with HT/HS viscosity > 4.0 Cp @ 100C, particularly in a warm climate like SoCal.

TD

No, Mori copied the recommendation straight off the respective and relevant VW and Audi bulletins (Those that you always fail to read properly and choose to ignore). VW 505.01 is an option for the FSI.

VW 503.01 is an option for the VR6 FSI, but that's not the engine in question now, is it?
wink.gif

I'd consider VW 505.01 to be a better oil than the older VW 502.00 spec for all modern VW/Audi engines. The reason is the significantly better detergency/dispersency required for the various diesel applications like the TDI/PD, which has the benefit of keeping high temp deposits to a minimum.

The generic spec to look for is the new ACEA "C3-04", which is even more stringent than ACEA B4 in terms of wear and deposit limits.

TD

Recent versions of the Valvoline SynPower 5W-40 now meet ACEA C3-04, in addition to VW 502.00 approval and 505.01 recommendation. This tells me that it's a low SAPS formulation.

Quote:

GC

The 2.0Ts seem to boil off GC very quickly. It might be very good, but plan to go through 2 quarts in 10,000 miles. VW puts in Castrol 5w40, which doesn't seem to boil off much at all.

Consumption was super-low in my Audi V6 30v over a 11k interval, no more than 2q during hard-driving. That was Green Syntec.

I would use Castrol SLX Longtec (GC), Mobil 1 0w-40 or Motul 8100 (the their Specific VW). As an outside choice, I would look at FUchs Titan 0w-30 (or GT1).

Quote:

I'd consider VW 505.01 to be a better oil than the older VW 502.00 spec for all modern VW/Audi engines. The reason is the significantly better detergency/dispersency required for the various diesel applications like the TDI/PD, which has the benefit of keeping high temp deposits to a minimum.

Well, VW 505.01 is primarily a spec for diesel engines, but its use is sanctioned in all VW/Audi gas engines. VW 505.01 oils appear to be generally predominantly Group III oils. VW 502.00 oils are per VW/Audi not suitable for diesel engines. However VW 502.00 has repeatedly been adjusted since its inception, and now there are oils (like Valvoline 5W-40), which meet both, VW 502.00 and VW 505.01.

Quote:

Recent versions of the Valvoline SynPower 5W-40 now meet ACEA C3-04, in addition to VW 502.00 approval and 505.01 recommendation. This tells me that it's a low SAPS formulation.

The Critic has it right on!
cheers.gif

Then again he knows that Synpower is my new choice in my new used 96 BMW.

For VWs 5w-40 is 505.01, 502.00 & 505.00 approved.

ACEA A3/B3/B4 & C3 rated.

offtopic.gif

If someone knows where I can find this oil cheap please PM me as I just paid > $5 a qt.

Well our new Rabbit specs 502 only and reccomends Castrol as usual but the dealer started carrying Elf at a very reasonable price so I may go with Elf for both the Rabbit & TDI.

They have LDX as well which is the longlife formulation if I remember.

I little off topic but I saw a Delo 400 LE Low Emission's oil at Walmart the other night. I guess we aren't the only ones looking for a low emission's oil. Seems to me heavy machine engines are as well.

I had one of those sludge prone 1.8T '99 Passat's. M1 for much of it's life, though lots of ticking at 70K had me run the Sludge removal stuff I learned about in here (3yrs ago....forget the name...it worked great!) and I later switched to Shell Rotella T 5W-40. Never an issue again, engine was silent and clean. (till I wrecked it at 106K) The engine ran a Chip to double the Boost, and a freer flowing exhaust. I always let the Turbo cool down for a good minute before turning it off....

I run the same oil in my '95 M3. I got the car with '97K in May '05. I hit 127K this week. 2 months ago I blew a HG, so in tearing down the head, I was surprised to see how spotless and clean everything was. I was prepared to replace an Ex valve or two, and the Ex guides. NONE of them needed it! (I get parts at cost...so it was no big deal doing it..but they were all in spec with no play!) I buy the 4qt jugs at Walmart for $16. (the M3 Takes 2...A REAL SUMP!
laugh.gif
)

If I had a new 2.0T, I'd run Rotella T in it too..in a heartbeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back