is new dello formula the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed when I went to go buy some the bottle looked different. After looking at it say that it bodly says LOW EMISSIONS. Is this the same stuff as the older stuff? I put it in my car, I just hope chevron didn't mess with anything as my car has been on this stuff for over 500,000 miles.

Gee, I don't know. Does your computer still have a 286 chip, or did the manufacturers mess with something? Now, I realize that Coke changed their formula, and had to retract, but I certainly hope that Chevron has indeed messed with their oil quite a bit since you started using it 500,000 miles ago. Maybe they even improved it, instead of just cost engineering.

This is probably the new CJ-4 formulation. It will still work great for you. By the way just to be politically correct, it's Delo.

If you don't mind my asking, what type of car have you been using this in for 500,000 miles and what is your oil change interval. I also assume this is the Delo 15W40. I may need to change my way of thinking.

I have a 1982 mercedes 300d turbo diesel. My odometer stopped working at 201,000 back in 92'. Since then I change the oil around 6 months or maybe a little faster depending on how much driving I do. I tried delvac since it was a little cheaper but I noticed I was adding more oil between changes. With the delo I don't even have to add any oil between changes. I love this diesel engine, nice big oil filter about 10" in length and tons of oil pressure (about 95psi max and around 80psi at cruising speeds.) I also only use german oil filters and the 15w-40 weight for the last 10 yrs. Mainly delo, but like I said I did try to save money and use delvac once or twice. I wish my odometer worked but I don't want to buy a replacement and have it fail since it's common. All I know is I drive this thing like a grandma and keep it at 65mph(around 3000rpm) and this car has never broken down on me and left me stranded.

Outstanding. The new Delo 400 15W40 will work great in your Benz. Those are great old cars for sure.
cheers.gif

I use Delo 400 Multigrade 15W-40 in my motorcycle and was curious about the difference between the older SL rated vs. the new "LE" SM rated Delo. The following are some relevant differences that I got from the Chevron website:

Older Chevron Delo 400 Multigrade:
Product Number: 235101
Viscosity at 100C: 15.1
Flash Point: 460F
Sulfated Ash%: 1.41
Base Number: 12.2
Phosphorus wt%: 0.136
Zinc wt%: 0.148

Newer Chevron Delo 400 LE:
Product Number: 222220
Viscosity at 100C: 15.7
Flash Point: 399F
Sulfated Ash%: 1.0
Base Number: 9.6
Phosphorus wt%: 0.120
Zinc wt%: 0.130

For my use in a motorcycle, the older SL rated Delo 400 appears to be the better choice (higher flashpoint, more zinc & phos) and I am going stock up on it while I can find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back