Ferrari Oil - HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITY

We have in this morning a 1987 Ferrari Testarossa for an oil change. We already have the genuine oil filter. What I need to know is the factory recommended oil for this car (in particular the viscosity). Also, is there a special procedure for changing the oil? Quantity of oil would be good to know too. I know it's dry sump so it'll be a lot, but I need to order oil NOW. If I get no information I'll go with Mobil 1 0W-40 or Mobil 1 15W-50 EP which should be safe. We are limited on what oil we can get here. Maybe Redline but no Motul etc. Please help, thanks - Ian.

I tried the Mobil 1 website, to see what they recommend. There was no recommendation for this car. In lieu of that, I'd use either M1 0w40 or Castrol Syntec 5w40. If you decide to use M1 15w50 EP, that should work, too; it'll just cost more. Two other synthetics you might want to consider for this car are Castrol Syntec 5w50 & 20w50.

The way I see it is that any of the oils mentioned above are waaaaaaaaaay better than 99% of oils that were available in 1987, when this car was built. Amsoil probably made a good oil for it in '87, but I can't confirm that.

Don't accept a job if you don't know how to do it.

Furthermore, don't just roll the dice and throw anything in there that you think will be "safe".

this is why oil change places get a bad name.....

Checking on Castrol UK site, they recommend their Castrol Edge Sport 10w-60, and the sump capacity is 15.5 liters.

Maybe that will give you some idea. If you just want any 10w-60 oil, you should be able to find Castrol at any BMW dealership, since I believe the M3 requires this type of oil.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't Ferrari recommend
Shell Helix?

This would be a good time for doctor Hass to chime in
here!

Quote:

Did any oil company even make 10w60 oil when this car was new?

Probably not, but since the technology has advanced, why not take advantage of it? Like you said, anything made nowadays is likely way ahead of anything made in 1987. I'm guessing something like a 20w-50 was a preferred oil for this application back then.

And I'm sure AEHass will chime in and recommend some 0w-20 here.
smile.gif

IAN, Hello, your question would be better answered on a Ferrari Forum, where you will talk to owners of the cars for their real knowledge of the subject.
approved.gif

Go to FerraiChat.com, there are many of us here who also visit there, too. I'll try to link you with the right group; http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=90

Dr. AE HAAS, also has his oil writings on there, as well as here, also so you can educate yourself, like we have done, on theories of fluid dynamics, too.
pat2.gif

Hope this helps.
driving.gif

I would put exactly what the factory recommends into a customer's car ( I would not be interested in having to buy a twenty year old Ferrari ), but for my own V12 (Jaguar 6 litre V12) I now use Mobil 1 10/30.

The factory recommended spec for my 1994 V12 is anything from 5/20 to 10/60 depending on expected ambient temps.

You guys sure are hard on the guy. What did you all do the first time you changed the oil in your car? Did you buy a factory service manual? Did you take a training class from the manufacturer's technician? Jeez.

I'll tell you what you did. You crawled under the car and looked for the drain plug. Then you looked around 'till you found the oil filter. Jeez.

So what if it is a Ferrari. It is just a car.

You also know that it really does not matter what type of oil he puts in there. The car will not blow up. Then you run into a corner and call up Dr. Haas. He is a guy that runs 5W20 in a vehicle that recommends 10W60!

Get off your high horse.
twocents.gif

Dr. Haas has posted his opinion on Ferrari oil recommendations at the Florida Ferrari site. (educational articles, choosing your motor oil) Not surprisingly he recommends anything from 0W20 up to 5W30. He says you rarely need anything thicker than a 30 weight. The owners manual probably recommended a 10W40.

I would say the 0W40 Mobil 1 would be the way to go. Unless the owner is a Bitoger, he would accuse the mechanic of trying to blow up his engine if he went with something thinner than a 40 weight.

http://www.focfloridaregion.com/

Quote:

You guys sure are hard on the guy. What did you all do the first time you changed the oil in your car? Did you buy a factory service manual? Did you take a training class from the manufacturer's technician? Jeez.

No offense, but do you see a difference between working on your own car and working on someone else's car in a business setting? If you don't want to be sued, you'd better know very well what you're doing.

He should follow the manufacturer's recommendation just to cover his a$$, in case the owner comes back to him later and tries to blame him for engine damage. I know, different grade most likely won't cause any issues, but you'll have to prove that it was not the oil that was the problem.

If you're not familiar with the car and you are not an authorized repair station I would get what the factory recommends and have him sign the repair order to okay what you're about to do, sign, not initials. If he balks, give him back his car and have him sign the repair order that you did not work on his car. I speak from experience.

Contact a Ferrari dealership regarding the proper grade needed. Ferrari dealerships carry Shell Helix Ultra in both 5W-40 and Racing 10W-60, as well as Agip 5W-50.

I'm sure they can help with the proper oil changing procedure as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back