possible science behind fuel line magnets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
magnets on filters might solve some of those "waxing issues" with certain oil brands.

I've an interesting article at work on the uses of tin as fuel catalysts.

I wonder if the mineral contaminants in crude can be trapped in the aggregates and the contaminants are what allows this system to work...

Charges experience a force when trying to move across a magnetic field. If a wax crystal forms when partial charges on one molecule line up with partial charges on another, having a strong magnet nearby will put a curve in the motion of any moving parts of that molecule. Maybe that's one effect.

If so, how strong will the magnet have to be , I am sure that putting a hard drive magnet on the fuel line won't do the trick.

Quote:

If so, how strong will the magnet have to be , I am sure that putting a hard drive magnet on the fuel line won't do the trick.

I can stick a hard drive magnet to my forehead, remove it, and stick a 20c piece (coin around 1-1/4" diameter) to the same spot...but I do have oily skin.

The only problem is that if the magnet did lower the fuel viscosity, you'd end up with more fuel going in, and possibly lower fuel economy. I wonder if it would work on diesel in extreme cold. But first I'd have to replcate the original experiment to know that it works at all.

Hmmm...If I'm not mistaken, don't all or most in-tank fuel pumps draw fuel through the pump motor and around the magnet(s)? If so, then most of us may already be getting magnetically "treated" fuel!
wink.gif

fuelpumpdiagram.gif

That's it! You've just explained why fuel line magnets only work on older cars, or cars in Area 51. Those fuel pumps probably use rare earth magnets, too.

My chemical engineer friend says this is all myth.
Magnetic fields have absolutely NO effect on fuels or oils.
Any molecular influences would be so minute there would be no alteration in characteristics. A magnetic trap could pull ferrous metals out of slowly moving solution, that's all.

Please!!!!!!!!!!!

Do not confuse us with facts and/or logic!!!!!!!!!

Reveling in ignorance is one of the few joys some of us (one of us???) has available to fill in those looooong hours ensconced within the shanty.

Thank you.

You know this magnet idea has been tested to death by real live government funded research. There is simply no place you can put a magnet in a spark ingnition car and improve your power or fuel economy. I was an innocent casual observer of this research which was run in Santa Clara California from 1979 through 1986. The government funded research tested over two thousand wacko devices claiming to improve fuel economy. Not a single one worked. I met the people who ran the tests and saw their dyno facility. Why their work was never published I do not know. I guess they did not want the potential of lawsuits.

deadhorse.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back