Is it less civil on BITOG, or is it just me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or better yet, we should CENSOR all content and try to limit membership to only people who think and act like us. Then after we finish culling the undesireables from this forum we can move on to other automotive forums, the rest if the Internet and eventually the population in general, until we control the whole world! Ahh ha ha haa haa (diabolical laugh).
smirk.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Well, actually, internet forums are privately owned entities and if that's the way the owner sees fit to run it, it's their business. Something attracted 16,000 plus people to this website. I'm sure it wasn't smart-alec commentary.

Quote:

Well, actually, internet forums are privately owned entities and if that's the way the owner sees fit to run it, it's their business. Something attracted 16,000 plus people to this website. I'm sure it wasn't smart-alec commentary.

Thank you, Brian. It's people like Okie who come on here and in only a few short posts manage to make a complete arse out of themselves by shooting off their mouths (keyboards) and talking down to everyone else. Interesting how a thread about making things a little more pleasant for everyone gets twisted into us trying to control the thoughts and actions of everyone else on the internet and in the world.

It's that kind of person that brings down the collective IQ of this or any forum.

I've only been observing/participating in BITOG for a few months, so I can't speak to the perceived change in civility some of you have talked about. I will agree with those who've said the SEARCH process on BITOG seems a little unproductive at times.

I am no oil expert, but that's why I'm here. I appreciate the knowledge others have (and are willing to share with a rookie). But I do hold my breath everytime I submit, for fear I'll be reminded that my silly question has already been answered. Trust me, knowing the information I want is likely already on here, but not being able to locate it is frustrating. A few pages back, someone's post gave me an idea...

What about a new forum that's only for these elementary questions that some of us less-than-experts have? Then it's up to the "experts" on here to read those questions, but only if they want to. Further, they can share their expertise, but only if they want to. That way, my silly entry-level questions aren't clogging up the other threads, meant for elevated discussions about the most refined lubricants and lubricant accessories.

I don't know. It may not work. Anywho, I appreciate the chance to be a member. Thanks to you guys, I'm now buying AAP filters (and I know what AAP means), searching high and low for great oil deals, and my wife thinks I've TOTALLY lost it. Thanks BITOG!

(Clicking 'Submit', holding breath...)

Quote:

Well, actually, internet forums are privately owned entities and if that's the way the owner sees fit to run it, it's their business.

Yep. Privately owned entities that are OPEN TO THE PUBLIC. And of course they may reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. On one end you have a chaotic free-for-all, and on the other you have discrimination, censorship, and eventually you are out of business. Find a happy medium somewhere and don't worry, be happy.
wink.gif
Or grow up.
smirk.gif
Take your pick.

OBTW, I almost forgot: To answer the original poster's question, it's just you.

Last edited:
Quote:

It's people like Okie who come on here and in only a few short posts manage to make a complete arse out of themselves...

Everyone serves an important purpose in life, even if it is only to be a bad example.

Quote:

Quote:

Well, actually, internet forums are privately owned entities and if that's the way the owner sees fit to run it, it's their business.

Yep. Privately owned entities that are OPEN TO THE PUBLIC. And of course they may reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. On one end you have a chaotic free-for-all, and on the other you have discrimination, censorship, and eventually you are out of business. Find a happy medium somewhere and don't worry, be happy.
wink.gif
Or grow up.
smirk.gif
Take your pick.

You're neither clever nor funny. If you read more than the first and last posts, you would see that others feel the same way.

Move on, noob.

Hey man. It's called context. You obviously don't have any. This forum has been a great place for a lot of people stretching back to 2002. For someone to come in here after a month and tell everyone the way things need to be run is pretty amusing.

The kind of comments you are making are exactly the ones that used to be quietly deleted and made this forum a much more enjoyable place. And...as I said, it has been a happy medium for several thousand people for quite some time.

Quote:

Waaaa, waa, waa, my forum's gone bad. Boooo hoo hoo.
puke.gif

Go e-thug somebody else. I don't think you're up to the task here. Maybe that toocrazy guy. Yeah, go get him on it.

feedtroll.gif

What happened the old timers forget they used to be newbies too and ask the same questions.

I think some effort in researching a question is in order for the newbies, but have you tried the search function
laugh.gif

I Love the site so far. I have to admit in seeing some people getting snippy or too tired of getting off there high horse to help a newbie. If a member is clearly not showing any effort, I don't think getting nasty is the way to go. Just leave the post alone and let it disappear into the abyss with no hits.

Again this is a great site and I have learned a lot just surfing around and reading posts with interesting titles. Some were great information and some were way over my head.So far I find people helpful and some go above and beyond to help (Gary Allen). If someone has nothing to say good or helpful about a thread I started that may not be up to their standards, I will be happy to tell them not to waste my time and post in it.

Great Site, be nice, stay warm and if your already warm...d@mn you...
laugh.gif

Last edited:
How about a ~negative~ thread-ranking system? How about a Forum that bad posts get kicked-down to....if they get 10+ members who rank them negatively? How about fixing the Search?

Quote:

How about a ~negative~ thread-ranking system? How about a Forum that bad posts get kicked-down to....if they get 10+ members who rank them negatively? How about fixing the Search?

Preach on, bro! I'm with you!
cheers.gif

Quote:

Quote:

wink.gif
Or grow up.
smirk.gif
Take your pick.

You're neither clever nor funny. If you read more than the first and last posts, you would see that others feel the same way.

Move on, noob.

Exactly Lou! Thanks Okie - you have proven the point so many were making.
I think this is pretty sad. People are having a serious conversation about how to improve this already great forum, and some (I wouldn't type what I really think) comes in just to make fun of people.
frown.gif

Last edited:
Wow. This place suddenly filled up with a bunch of over sensitive old women. When are we adding the menopause section?

P.S. The internet is full of A-holes. Get over it.

Quote:

Wow. This place suddenly filled up with a bunch of over sensitive old women. When are we adding the menopause section?

feedtroll.gif

We have lost several functions that are part of this. We can no longer edit a post after posting. The search function is not what is use to be 3-4 years ago. Maybe not the complete answer but it is part of this issue.

Personally, I would like to see the "post count" go away. I have seen this on other forums where, conscious or not, the goal is to accumulate posts. It leads to people responding with posts such as "I agree" or "yes!" or even the rude or condescending comment. It adds nothing to the topic but, hey, you get credit for another post! I think it also, conscious or not, leads people who have 5000+ (do they have a life!?) thinking they are somehow "superior" to someone who has 75 posts. Eliminate the "post count" and everyone is equal. These are just my thoughts and they are worth what you paid for them!
smile.gif

Quote:

Quote:

feedtroll.gif

Can we please have an emoticon that says "Please don't feed the sensitive old woman?"

crackmeup.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back