Is it less civil on BITOG, or is it just me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Maybe we are spending too much time in front of a monitor???

My wife told me a few years ago that I spend too much time in front of my TV.... so I switched!
ooo.gif

Really thou, in perspective, when you look at how much time folks spend in front of their big-screens watching trash on TV, computers are significantly more educational.... I think!
crazy.gif

Tastes Great! Less Filling!

Less Civil! More Entertaining!

Just kidding, of course, but hey, when you've got two lawyers* gouging each other's eyeballs out for all to see**, then hey -- it's both!

Less Civil!! More entertaining!!
wink.gif
tongue.gif
cheers.gif

* One of them being me, of course...

**See the MMWA thread, concurrent, in this sub-forum.

Quote:

I've been a member for a while and have noticed the hostility growing in recent times. It's like if someone does not like a post or the subject of the post, they slam the poster instead of just "movin on".

If a reader does not like a post, then quit reading it.

JKH

I disagee.

This is a place to find out infomation. Not myths.

If the poster posts something that is untrue, your saying that we should just forget it and allow people who are visiting BITOG for the FACTS to read the garbage as fact.

The main reason why we are loosing "old timers" and folks that we really should not be on this board is because of the posters who are not checked.

Facts are hard to come by more and more around here.
nono.gif

I guess as someone who has been here more than most, I must be one of the rude ones...
ooo.gif

Take care, Bill
patriot.gif

I don't think bad knowledge should go uncorrected. I just think the way people go about it has gotten testier.

For example, you could patiently point out "Hey, that's been proven wrong." or "I don't think the data on here supports that."

verses

"I wish people would quit posting useless #@$%! and myth" or "I just wasted 30 seconds of my life reading this post"

Maybe it's just the fact that our membership has grown so big and gotten a lot younger.

I mean, I've been here on and off since 03 and I've been on saabcentral.com in a much greater capacity for the same amount of time. I know people post the same thing over and over again. But they don't have the benefit of being here that long. The only way to stop getting the same useless posts is to stop allowing new members. We have plenty of FAQ sections on my saab forum and it never really helped much. You still get the same posts.

Quote:

If the poster posts something that is untrue, your saying that we should just forget it and allow people who are visiting BITOG for the FACTS to read the garbage as fact.

Bill, I want to emphasize that my original point was not that garbage should be allowed to be presented as fact. It was that it can be refuted and corrected with tact, diplomacy, and dignity. (fwiw, I've always felt you do that as well as anyone.)

Name-calling, hostility, profanity, and derision are unnecessary and only serve to lower the class of this forum. (Not you...just some.) I just saw a trend and thought I'd share my humble opinion.

A little patience and politeness can go a long way. And the noobs should spend a little time reading before they post. And when they do post, they should avoid coming with "guns-a-blazing" to avoid looking silly and getting flamed.

cheers2.gif

Lou,

My reply was not directed towards you.

I was just saying that the thought of "if you don't like it, move on" I can not agree with.
nono.gif

Quote:

I want to be on Bill's team.

and
Quote:

Bill, you are absolutely dead on with your assessment. Except you are not rude.

Thanks guys!

(I'll try harder about the rude part!)
tounge2.gif

Take care, Bill
patriot.gif

I'm going to try to get up to a 500 post count without having an opinion whatsoever; I realize though that it'll take longer.
smile.gif

Quote:

Lou,

My reply was not directed towards you.

I was just saying that the thought of "if you don't like it, move on" I can not agree with.
nono.gif

Oh, I understand. I was just trying to clarify the point. You're one of the good guys, Bill!
cheers.gif

But it does seem that sometimes if you make facts that make certain items or sponsers here look less than excellent, there is punishment due or thread deletions. And not necessarily from the posters involved being rude, either....

Except for broken-record Toyota haters (dailydriver is the first to come to mind but there are a few more), it's usually pretty darn good.

I read the 1st page and the last page of this thread and now I'm gonna be dumb enough to add my $.02 because even though I'll never get these two minutes of my life back, I have nothing better to do at work right now. I've said it before and I'll say it again:

You people REALLY freakin'
crackmeup.gif

Get over yourselves, for cryin' out loud. It's an Internet forum. Sheeesh.

Quote:

I read the 1st page and the last page of this thread and now I'm gonna be dumb enough to add my $.02 because even though I'll never get these two minutes of my life back, I have nothing better to do at work right now. I've said it before and I'll say it again:

crackmeup.gif

There's always room for polite discourse, no matter whether it's an internet forum or a dinner party. If it really cracks you up that much, continue to visit for the comic relief. Or take your $.02 and two-minutes elsewhere.

Either way, it won't affect the rest of us and we'll continue onward and upward.

Have a nice day!

Quote:

I read the 1st page and the last page of this thread and now I'm gonna be dumb enough to add my $.02 because even though I'll never get these two minutes of my life back,

Hmm, sounds familiar......
smirk.gif

I have nothing better to do at work right now. I've said it before and I'll say it again:

crackmeup.gif

This is the perfect example of the kinda attitude that didn't used to show up on BITOG. That's what made it such a civil place. Nobody wants this place to turn into VW Vortex. Or, they didn't used to.....
frown.gif

As a participant I would like to see a slightly heavier hand in moderation. I thought that posting brand specific posts would illustrate the issue here at BITOG with name brand oils and cars. Obviously nothing has happened other than an elevation in Rhetoric I am reporting my post is a plea to cut this material out. Serious moderation leaderdship is needed. Tony is seriously missed in this regard.

Who is in charge here? Moderation of a forum is a difficult duty but who is guiding the moderation?
The forum needs reigned in. If we limit the scope of discussion we can answer the many basic oil related threads intelligently. I see and participate in many threads where too much energy is spent on topics not related to the original intent of the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back