Is it less civil on BITOG, or is it just me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Is that the smell threadlocker in the air?

I shouldn't post under the influence. Yikes!
laugh.gif

If anybody needs a translation, let me know.

Quote:

Quote:

Is that the smell threadlocker in the air?

I shouldn't post under the influence. Yikes!
laugh.gif

If anybody needs a translation, let me know.

Actually the first time I read it it made perfect sense. Probably for the same reason it made sense to you when you typed it.
cheers.gif

Quote:

Actually the first time I read it it made perfect sense. Probably for the same reason it made sense to you when you typed it.
cheers.gif

I suppose we could have worked as an encrypter/decrypter team for Bletchley Park. How's your Navajo? Yah-te!

Quote:

My small brain automatically inserted the "of" so no need to slam Mori for another "typo".
grin.gif
thumbsup.gif

Funny dat. Especially because you totally bungled your post about Photoshop a few minutes ago. AM ale?
grin.gif

Last edited:
I guess it's never safe to discuss in mixed company sex, religion, politics, and....motor oil.

I look at it as a bunch of guys, sitting around drinking coffee, discussing auto lubrication, maintenance, and performance.

Should be harmless enough...right?

Quote:

I guess it's never safe to discuss in mixed company sex, religion, politics, and....motor oil.

I look at it as a bunch of guys, sitting around drinking coffee, discussing auto lubrication, maintenance, and performance.

Should be harmless enough...right?

Lou, you can add economics & trade to that list as well, since they can be just as volatile (IF not MORE) than the ones you've mentioned.
frown.gif

I've been a member for a while and have noticed the hostility growing in recent times. It's like if someone does not like a post or the subject of the post, they slam the poster instead of just "movin on".

If a reader does not like a post, then quit reading it.

JKH

I don't know if it's just me but it doesn't seem like threads are as aggressively moderated as the used to be. I dunno if a more "hands off" approach was taken or not on purpose, but that's what it seems like. Even a thread like this wouldn't have lasted too darn long. Lol, I lost posting privileges for less than I see in many threads now.

The M1 "revelation" also seemed to have awaken some latent nastiness in many otherwise civil posters.

Another thing that's discouraged me from threads is the fact that people have gotten so nasty and upfront about credentials and background. I know that this forum was founded to help cut through the #@$%! and advance knowledge but some people get chased out of topics unnecessarily just b/c they don't have the 40/100 cSt viscosities of all M1 grades memorized or tattooed on a special body part.
smirk.gif
grin.gif
dunno.gif

Years ago we had some GM engineers come to one of the shops I was associated with. Started out as a very friendly meeting of the minds between Shade Tree race mechanics and "educated" engineers. Lot of info sharing turned into a #@$%! contest on what worked on paper and what worked in the real world. I see that here alot. Anybody sharing experiance is jumped on by the "engineer" wanting documentation and dismissing any experiance one may of had as internet rumor. Of course their word is gospel and have links to prove it
smile.gif
Oh well....I think the internet allows normally mellow people to assume an agressive posture sometimes that really hides the value of what it is they are trying to say. Bottom line is if a person doesnt want to add any value to a thread they should just move on. IMHO.

Quote:

Another thing that's discouraged me from threads is the fact that people have gotten so nasty and upfront about credentials and background.

I don't need to see people's stinking badges.
laugh.gif

I'm certainly no expert on oil. I come here to read what other people, who do know a lot about oil, have to say about the different lubrication options. The only harsh incivility that I've noticed on this board came from a member who has already stated, in this thread, that he/she is "a cranky, disgruntled member". I'm not easily offended, so long as I'm not personally attacked. And that's never happened, here. I think that a simple "Newbie Intro" that everyone is required to read before being allowed to post in the forum, that explains the "search" function and STRONGLY recommends it's use, might be a good idea. Other than that, keep posting and I'll gather what I can, sorting the expertise from the effluent.
wink.gif

BTW, just don't ever get as touchy and irrational as the juvenile moderators for the RV forum that is linked to from Good Sam, Trailer Life, and Camping World! One "moderator", whose typings were very childish, threatened to sue me because another poster said something rude about someone who was in a link posted by yet a different user!?!?!?
dunno.gif
I bailed on that forum!!! Life is irrational enough without that.

I enjoy the sanity, here, and the fact that I feel welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back