Is it less civil on BITOG, or is it just me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its not just here, its on all the automotive forums I visit. Rudeness and fighting are the norm these days.

I take all the "rude" comments like a grain of salt. Now, you must admit some of them are pretty funny. If reading these E-mail responses hurt your feelings, or get you emotionally upset...maybe it is time to turn the computer off and take time in the real world...take a walk, go fishing, etc.. The problem with the computer is...no interaction with a physical being, no emotions, no verbal/nonverbal communication, getting "sucked-in", etc. That is my 2 cents worth. Hope you all have a great day and find the "oil" mother lode.

Well I came here to learn, and I think I have...some. But I'm not anywhere close to an expert...never will be. But regardless of one's knowledge level, there's always room for grace, dignity, and civility. Cynicism and derision just make it a less enjoyable experience for everyone.

I can go do something else, and I often do. But when I do visit, it'd be nice to not have to read all the bickering.

The old automotive derived adage "Be sure brain is in gear before putting keyboard in motion" may apply here. Also, another favorite, "Arguing on the internet is like competing in the special olympics..." Overall still nowhere near as bad on many make/model specific boards I've visited. As long as No R/S/P is enforced and the language sensor works I don't see that much of a problem. I respect and pay attention more to those posters who are able to be civil.

My apologies right off the bat if I've been too obviously a newb. Every time you walk into a new group of people, it's like the first day of school.

I've learned a great deal here and I thank you all for sharing your experiences. Though I've been around long enough to know a few things, some of what I knew wasn't up to date. I was set right, here.

But an exchange of ideas can get exciting when the chase is joined. It's not that we're trying to be rude, it's just that politeness is not Job #1 when typing as fast as you can to get the thought out before it evaporates.

I'm glad to be here, and I wish you all Happy Friday!

Quote:

How many Havoline vs GTX or Pennzoil vs Valvoline topics have to be posted before someone stops asking questions that can't be answered? We have posters that want to be taken seriously when they ask which oil to run in their BMW but they type like a 12 year old girl sending her boyfriend an instant message.

It's gone downhill ever since we got mentioned in Hot Rod Magazine and more people found out about us.
tongue.gif

Quote:

When I joined approximately 2.5 years ago it was because I genuinely was interested in the science of lubrication. I naively assumed that the board consisted primarily of people that worked in the field and had actual working knowledge about oil.Sadly that is not the case. Yes there are some genuine experts that are highly trained and some that are self taught that post.

This site has taught me to re-think my views of lubrication in general and I'm grateful for that. I have learned much and I now apply those principles. But this statement bugs me. I don't have a Piled High and Deep after my name, I only have 74 posts, and I'm not (yet) a site supporter. So if I interpret your statement correctly I have nothing to offer in the way of knowledge or experience? I read this site everyday. Yes, I've noticed lately a general decline in civility. IMHO the offenders should be dealt with on an individual basis. But to lump the "non-experts" as a reason for a site decline is just plain unfair.

Quote:

It has become increasingly frustrating to wade through the endless topics about which oil smells best and who makes Super Tech in order to find the ocassional piece of worthwhile information. How many Havoline vs GTX or Pennzoil vs Valvoline topics have to be posted before someone stops asking questions that can't be answered?

I have a better solution. Rather than fussing over repeat questions simply and gently ask the poster to do a search and see if that answers their question. And if it doesn't then you're welcome to post a follow up.

Quote:

We have posters that want to be taken seriously when they ask which oil to run in their BMW but they type like a 12 year old girl sending her boyfriend an instant message.

Agreed, can't stand trying read something that looks like gibberish. But again, not everyone has the same level of writing/reading skills.

Quote:

I believe way too many people overstep their ability by their attempts to "analyze" or "interpret" every UOA and give their recomendations.

Maybe. I have no opinion here.

Quote:

Auto Unions suggestion of a NOOB status is one of the best ideas I've seen here recently.

I think that's a terrible idea. I've seen sites run this way. If you ain't part of the "in crowd" you forever remain a noob.

Quote:

With 16,000 members on a board that has been around for 5 years why would a new member think they could possibly say something that hasn't been said before? My .02 cents worth from a cranky, disgruntled member that has seen the quality of what used to be an outstanding board decline.

I'm sorry Old Man, but this just smacks of snobbery to me. You honestly think that no new members can offer anything new to the site? If you do this site is doomed. A forum grows and prospers by the diversity of it's members. If the "establishment" feels that new members can't offer anything fresh or enlightening then why join up?

I have to agree. I rarely post any longer, but do read a number of the posts. The constant bickering, rehashing the "domestic vs. import" argument and constant Pablo references to bodily functions and excrement get old real fast. It's a decidedly different place than it was 2-3 years ago.

Top that off with the lax moderation that allows anyone to get past the decency filters with misspelled words and it's clear that BITOG isn't what it used to be. As much as I'd like to avoid the posts that are offensive, it's hard to when a discussion starts with something simple and morphs into something entirely different.

Hey, I think everyone is entitled to state their opinion. But the way it's delivered and the way we respond to it is where the conflict comes in.

I believe we have discussed 90% of the lub. themes and any additional info is either confidential or has to be paid.
Thus we spend our time dog fighting.
I suggest we move on and gather some money for lectures.

I am a big fan of civility. However, I am not comfortable when opinion is considered equal to fact nor when belief is considered equal to conclusion. So, when opinions contradict verifiable reality, I think they should be publicly dismantled. Perpetuating myth in the name of civility does a disservice to civilization.

Quote:

I am a big fan of civility. However, I am not comfortable when opinion is considered equal to fact nor when belief is considered equal to conclusion. So, when opinions contradict verifiable reality, I think they should be publicly dismantled. Perpetuating myth in the name of civility does a disservice to civilization.

Agreed. But I wasn't talking about disproving myths or allowing falsehoods to be perpetuated. Merely how we go about it sometimes. My original point wasn't so much about who knows or doesn't know what but how we communicate our positions.

I'm really not *that* sensitive. I was just making an observation.

smile.gif

I have only been on BITOG a short while, but have found it very informative.

As for the civility issue....read some other forums. BITOG's pretty good. I'm not saying it isn't deplorable, I just don't know the answer.

As far as the long view, the issue of civility calls to mind what were supposedly Evelyn Waugh's last words: "It begins with bad manners; it ends with random shootings in the streets."

I think we've arrived.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back