My dad is nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the front tires were at 1/32," and the rears were at 2/32," my dad went ahead and ordered some new rubber for the beater today. The old tires were Goodyear Allegras with a hair over 40,000 miles on them.

To my surprise, I found out that he ordered four Michelin Hydroedge tires from Sam's Club.

Cost? $108/tire
shocked.gif
They did come with a 90,000 mi treadwear warranty though. I'm expecting a very, very noisy tire per CR.

I thought he was nuts for spending over $500 for tires on a beater, but hey, it isn't my money. He didn't listen to me when I told him to get the $45/tire special at Les Schwab.

twocents.gif

Bridgestones for our Impala are $108.00 per tire. I am still trying to decide between them and Dunlops for it. My other car needs tires also, but it needs brakes first.

I've known people to drive tires until the wear bar shows and they keep going and wondered why they could not drive in the rain like they did before.
pat2.gif

Those HydroEdge A/S tires will come in handy during the notorious snow and sludge season in the Sacramento area.
tongue.gif

For once I agree with you.
smile.gif

A decent $50 tire at Discount tire would have been all you needed and more.

Is this the same dad who shaves you for the .05$ part? I know THAT guy. No wonder I wanted to move away from my dad!

My son's first car was a used '92 Mitsubishi beater we paid about $350 for. He installed a $400 dollar radio/CD player!!!

Quote:

I'm expecting a very, very noisy tire per CR.

My mother has these... had Aquatred 3's before, and Michelin XW4 before that... all were about the same, I would not qualify road/tire noise as an issue, and her car is an economy plymouth breeze - not sound insulated like a fancier car...

It will be interesting to see if you find them noisier, I didnt...

JMH

what is this "beater" again? That price might make sense for a 225/50/16 but not a 175/70/14.

These tires are for the 96 Saturn SL2, with P185/65R15 size. I'm actually getting a very fair price on the tires. These tires themselves are just extremely expensive. I looked into going the Tire Rack route, but I wouldn't be saving any substantial amount of money at all. In fact, I'd loose the free road hazard and flat repairs that come in handy.

Sam's Club

(4) Michelin HydroEdge P185/65R15 @ $108/each= $432
(4) Installation Package, Road Hazard @ $9/tire= $36
Tax, @ 7.75%= $36.27
Total= $504.27

Tire Rack

(4) Michelin Hydroedge @ $93/tire= $372
Shipping= $30.04
Total= $402.04

America's Tire wants $70 to install all four and include lifetime balance.

Total= $472.04

So, $504.72 vs. $472.04

I'm only saving about $30, and America's Tire does not give Road Hazard and free flat repairs (I don't think) on "carry-in" tire installation.

Wear is 700. There are better deals on better tires out there. I'd have gone for a 195/60 Yoko TRZ or similar. You get a lot for the money with tires such as Dunlop SP A2 or the Yoko H4S. In your mild climate, a more modest tire is likely fine for the situation.

Nope, TreadWear is actually 800, per the Michelin site.

Again, I wasn't advocating for these. I think they are overkill for the application, and are way too expensive, but since my dad insists, well, I can live with them.
wink.gif

maybe he expects you to drive this beater well into your college years..even though you have been eyeing a honda civic.
laugh.gif

I for one don't think your dad is nuts for trying to buy good tires for a car. What difference does it make how many miles are on the car or how old it is? You still drive it & it needs to stop and handle the best you can afford. If it was wax we were talking about & you said he bought some Zaino for $160 then I would be in total agreement. Afterall, stopping ability is mostly determined by the tires (after the whole paying attention thing).

There's probably some salesmanship going on perhaps in his head that a tire that lasts 90,000 miles is the safest, bestest, most grippy tire on the planet even if it runs rock hard rubber to get there.

I've bought whole saturns riding on new tires for less than $450.

I have to agree with benjamming and your dad. $108 isnt terrible for a tire, except for the installation, which is usually free. He guaranteed tires for the rest of the cars useful life, and didn't have to waste time shopping around. Just as ben said if he was spending $800 to replace the A/C or $300 to get the car painted, it would be a waste.

But a 96 beater? Was it in an accident or is the tranny slipping or something? My friend has a 96 saturn, and while most would see it as a beater (the interior is completely falling apart) the engine and tranny are fine. Car has 160k miles on it, he just put new tires on it too.

Ask him if he's get me some HydroEdge too! They are fat tires, did not mean to knock them. I'm running the Kumho ASX now, when i pull up my size and there are 80-120 tires, and the ASX are like 4th cheapest...I think it's funny that they are some of the best overall.

My dad always ran whatever the state trooper's were using. Since then I always lean over and take a look when a patrol car is parked.

Quote:

I for one don't think your dad is nuts for trying to buy good tires for a car. What difference does it make how many miles are on the car or how old it is? You still drive it & it needs to stop and handle the best you can afford. If it was wax we were talking about & you said he bought some Zaino for $160 then I would be in total agreement. Afterall, stopping ability is mostly determined by the tires (after the whole paying attention thing).

well said. tires are one of the most important things in the car's safety. who cares how old the car. it needs all the help it can get. but most people don't care too much about tires whilist they really should. besides he can sell the car and it's a good selling point.

50 dollar for a decent tire, yeah right!

We use to sell a cheap tire series (think only 50k warranty). Most likely would see those customers come back at the year mark or abit over buying new tires. Just a marketing ploy. Yes, they were "cheap" at the time, but costly at the long run. Always buy the best tire, take the time to look around for the best deal....it is insurance. People don't maintain their air pressures, rotation, etc. and usually wait till they can't stop, slide, etc., and are driving on illegal tires. It is shocking to see how many idiots drive around with belts showing though....course they have enuff money for smokes, beer, etc.. Sorry to have gotten on the soap box!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back