Kubota RTV

Status
Not open for further replies.
At my job we have many Kubota rtv 900's that we use to drive around the yard to perform our work.( I'm sure that if you look at my username, you can guess where i work.) Sometimes they run for days at a time and are only shut off for maintenance. The unit that i have been driving has over 8000 hours on the meter and is still strong. It is around 2 years old, uses no oil and is serviced every 2 weeks. In the winter it runs constantly so it will stay warm inside the cab. These are run in dusty,dirty conditions and they are driven like rental cars. Im amazed at how well they have held up and they will be sold when they hit 10,000 hours and replaced with new ones.
driving.gif

I have three Kubotas and they all have been tough as nails and trouble free. John Deere has seen the last of my money. Green paint just ain't enough for me!
coffee.gif

Quote:

I have three Kubotas and they all have been tough as nails and trouble free. John Deere has seen the last of my money. Green paint just ain't enough for me!
coffee.gif

My opinion of John Deere is that they are selling on their name because their products aren't worth buying.

My office was given permission to spec out and order a UTV for wildland fire duty last year. While our head fire guy was well, out on a wildfire, it came time to order. One of the other guys in my office, who was a complete Deere fiend ordered us a Trail Gator 4x4. I've been pleasantly surprised at how well it has worked out. It's only got about 85 hrs on it but seems sturdy enough.. I've only had to winch it once so far and that was in some really wet, just dozed gumbo mud. The next nearest district office to mine runs two Kubotas pretty hard year-round and while they go to the shop every now and then, those guys swear by them.

That is great news on the RTV.I bought a 2006 RTV and have only 80hr. on it,I hiope many more to come.coobie
cheers.gif

The 1st gen Kubotas were total Kawasaki Mule ripoffs right down to the ebrake, with the exception of the diesel engine and transmission.

The later ones I know nothing about.

However, the Mule 3010 we've got has been POUNDED and runs great, hot or cold, and like it's namesake, doesn't impact the earth much. One of the other members here advised me when we bought this one that, wherever he works (oilfield) they have dozens of Mules and they get totally beat day in and day out, no repairs yet.

The biggest problem with the Kubotas is that they do NOT climb hills with a load like the belt-driven ones do. The engines, I'm sure, are awesome but the hydros just aren't up to it.

Compared to the Deere Gator (which has a Kawi engine in it), the Deere is TERRIBLE, in my opinion. I was really unimpressed with it's quality and poor design.

I don't know anything about the Polaris stuff but the Yamaha is much sportier (faster, quicker) but not nearly as stable or as strong.

If it was MY money, I'd probably buy a diesel mule but the Kubota would get a real hard look.

Both are built to practically drop out of airplanes.

The Railroad I work for uses Kubota RTVs. They are nothing like the Mule. They climb hills, are used 24hrs a day with tons of idling in the winter. Any employee can grab one and go all over the diesel pit which is probably about 30 acres at breakneck speeds (well 25mph seems so with tracks everywhere and stop on a dime well maybe a half-dollar. All of them have powered dump beds and all have at least 5000hrs. It does take a while to get used to the brakes... when you let off the gas they automatically stop. I wish I could justify purchasing my own.

I wouldnt say that an RTV is a Mule Rip Off, more like say a Mitsubishi clone. Rtv is wider, longer, heavier. They arn't fast but they do get from a to b. I wouldnt go hill climbing with it but i would say that 4 low with the diff locked in should go places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back