99 4.0 Warngler MC5w-20 5566 4 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a Dyson package from Blackstone. Here's the raw data.

Miles on unit: 119753
Miles on oil: 5566
Oil: MC 5w-20
Makeup: ZERO
Oil filter: Fram clone PZ (3614 size)
Air filter: Sodium and Silicon sucking K&N conical
grin.gif

6 quart sump

Al 5
Cr: 1
Fe: 20
Cu: 24
Pb: 13
Tin: 2
Moly: 41
Nickel: 1
Pot: 1
Boron: 242
Silicon: 8
Sodium: 5
Calc: 1911
Magnesium: 11
PHos: 657
Zinc: 794
Everything else was zero

TBN: 2.1
Visc 51.4
FP 345
Fuel: 1.3
shocked.gif

Insolubles: .3

In engine VOA = 60 miles

This engine has never been one for shedding copper ..
confused.gif

The Fe I can live with.
The Pb isn't good ..but not alarming (for me - for anyone else - grab the Rolaids)

I obviously need some work on the fuel issue.

I'm not done with 20 weight oil in this engine yet. Next, unless Terry thinks I'm going to do some REAL damage, will be PP 5w-20 for with a UOA @ 5k+/- I also will have a better filter on there.

Gary,

IIRC, many advise going to a thicker viscosity when lead starts to creep up, however, it sounds like you want to stay the course with the 5w-20. Maybe if you can solve the fuel issue the viscosity issue will go away.

As far as the fuel goes, is it time to look at new spark plugs, cleaning the K&N, and checking for proper function of your thermostat and pcv?

I'm interested in knowing where the copper comes from more generally in an engine.

Last edited:
I bet if you fixed the fuel issue, all the wear metals would drop quite a bit. Sure would be interesting to hear Terry-sama's take.

I agree with what 427 said. It's not bad though, but this could def. be improved. I'd also like to hear Terry's take on this one.

Jim5 ..I'm usually an advocate ..or used to be an advocate, of heavier oil in this engine. I'm hoping to pull "an end run around" on using viscosity to control the numbers here. Others have had excellent results with 30 weights ..I figured there's room to see what happens here with a 20 weight. I can handle everything there but the copper. Terry will have to enlighten me.

I too think that the numbers would improve with the fuel issue being corrected. I'll hit a bottle of Regane ..slap a cap and rotor on it. Maybe change the plugs. Terry flagged fuel on this engine before. I'll have to look at when that was (just checked) it was 29k ago ..gosh time and miles fly
shocked.gif
I guess it's time for a full parts refresh.

I may even stick with MC 5w-20 if I don't get spanked too much by Terry. I like to eliminate the unfavorable variables before switch hitting on the oil. I also have Havoline ..which is what was on the list of candidates on deck.

Fix that fuel issue. Is there room for the FL1a?

how are the plugs, wires thermostat, o2 sensor, temp sensors, injectors......?

No room for a FL1A. The heat exchanger makes even a FL300 too big. The reason that Fram is on there because I saw a dent in the ST16 ..and not only that ..but the dent was offset and every time my wife over torqued the engine (on a hill or something) the filter would hit the motor mount and spin the filter off just a bit. I spun it off with very little effort. Since I had it in my buddy's shop, I grabbed the only available 3614 size filter on hand. I didn't bother to change it.

If I put a right angle mount on there, I could possibly manage longer filters. I'm uncertain if I have the real estate anywhere else in other directions
dunno.gif

It's due for a refresh on the ignition ..and a dose of Regane.

In engine VOA - 60 miles

Fe 1
Pb 1
Moly 30
Pot 1
Boron 194
Silicon 2
Calc 1589
Magnesium 6
Phos 520
Zinc 670

Visc 57.6
FP 370

..and it appears to have lost over 6 clicks since then in SUS visc.

Gary,
I'm sure I speak for other Jeep owners when I say thanks for being a 5W20 guinea pig.
cheers.gif

Very interesting results.
smile.gif

Quote:

Gary,
I'm sure I speak for other Jeep owners when I say thanks for being a 5W20 guinea pig.
cheers.gif

smile.gif

Gary, is that Dueling Banjos I hear in the background?
wink.gif
grin.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Gary,
cheers.gif

smile.gif

Gary, is that Dueling Banjos I hear in the background?
wink.gif
grin.gif

I'm not ready to squeal yet
laugh.gif
..I'm not giving up on getting this to work ..yet anyway.

Quote:

How did the moly increase?
And does Joyce know what you're doing with her engine?!

Her royal heinyness only demands that it run flawlessly ..or some penalty is paid. The rest is up to me. It's kinda a free market type thing. Cope with it as you please ..but get results.

I'll assume that the moly increase is more a function of stuff not being in solution in 60 miles of use
dunno.gif
I'll entertain other options. Same lab ..all bottles "boxed" (like paint) in the engine. No lot variance effect here
dunno.gif

No difference in noise level. It's still a relatively noisy idler. The mechanical fan supplies a good bit of that, I'm sure.

Hmm warn ..bad sign...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back