Type F ATF for Ford Power Steering 1992 and 1995

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both vehicles ('92 Aerostar and '95 F150) specify Type F ATF for the power steering. I just had the pump replaced on the Aerostar and figured the new pump would be Mercon, but no, the manufacturers instructions were to use what the auto manufacturer specifys for the original pump.

Many folks say you can run Mercon in a Type F speced PS pump, but nobody shows proof from Ford Motor Company that it is official. Anyway, if anyone has such proof, a bulletin from Ford, I would appreciate it.

There is no proof. Type F is an old obsolete spec. I wonder if Ford was just trying to use up old tanks of Type-F or save a buck on the assembly line.

If you don't want to offend the 'spec gods', by all means use the type-F. Amsoil has a type-f called supershift. Redline has the racing ATF. There are also other racing ATFs that are type-f happy like B&M, Neo.....

I haven't seen any failures when using any PSF and ATF in these systems.

Check with the dealer. I believe that Ford as a PSF that can be used in the PS systems that calls for either TypeF or Dexron/Mercon. The compatibility is there whether Ford admits it or not!

The C3 pump was introduced before the Mercon spec fluid was. We used Mercon/Dexron fluid in every pump, rack and p-steer line replacement at the dealer and never had a problem. As far as official proof, I would have no idea. I will try to dig out my old service manuals and see what they spec.

Ford sure was quick to back spec engines to 5w20 oil, but apparently there is no advantage to their back spec'ing Mercon to older PS pumps. Well my old '84 F150 (I know the current owner) has never needed a new pump and never had the PS fluid changed and it is still working after over 225,000 miles. Guess I should be satisfied with the Type F.

Only other problem, I had three leaks, worst was the pump, but also a pressure hose and the rack. I did not have the rack replaced because of the cost ($350) and that the leak is pretty minor. Was going to run Maxlife PS or ATF, but it is not spec'ed for Type-F application and Valvoline techs said not to do it. Maybe there is another seal conditioner additive I can put in it.

Oh, worse yet, I just talked to a parts guy at a Ford dealership and he told me, "Type F is Mercon."
shocked.gif

Last edited:
Paul,

I have a 1996 Contour with rack & pinion steering. It spec's Type F ATF for the PS. I keep using Type F via the "turkey baster" method. So far it's worked great. I've had no leaks. It's less expensive than Mercon or Mercon V and it works for my Type F PS .

I figured it's best not to second guess the manufacture unless they specify something different.

Whimsey

Yep, If it ain't broke, don't fix it. This new pump seems quiet. Only thing it the rack leak/seep, and after 24 hours I really don't see a drip on the cardboard from the rack. I should leave well enough alone. Someone once said something to the effect of better is the enemy of good.

Type F just doesn't have any friction modifiers in it. I just by Redline type F from the local race shop. Yes it's $10 a quart there but I don't need much as it's for my atv skid steer trans.

Type F fluid is called for in my '96 3.8L windstar power steering.
Some time ago, I did an internet search on " M2C33-F " which is the specification number in my owner's manual.
I came up with Redline Synthetic Power Steering Fluid.
I have been using it for several years with great results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back