05 Dodge Ram CTD Rotella 15w40 10,179 on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first full sample of rotella using the Frantz bypass I installed. TBN at 7 is great and I plan to run the new oil to 14-15k. Copper is still lingering a bit from the last couple samples but improved with more mileage on this sample. 40,665 miles on the truck at this sample. Makeup oil was 4qts, as I changes the tp every 2k. I would like to go back to amsoil AMO but for the money I can run rotella a lot cheaper and probably go more miles on it with 3 changes of rotella = to the price of one change of amsoil. Also this is Ci-4 Rotella.

aluminun 2
chromium 3
iron 33
copper 8
tin 3
lead 2
moly 1
nickel 1
manganese 1
silver 2
titanium 0
potassium 2
boron 1
silicon 5
sodium 3
calcuim 3600
magnesium 12
phosph 1059
zinc 1223
barium 0

sus 79.3
flashpoint 415
fuel trace antifreez 0
water 0
insolubles .4
TBN 7.0

How is your truck liking that 15w-40 in these temps?
wink.gif

Looks like it doing a pretty good job.

It is doing good, the truck is always plugged in and in the garage at night. I had a couple zero degree starts with no block heater and it did fine. Went straight to high idle. I started off with Amsoil with the Frantz but I had a lot of blowby out of the crankcase breather. Going back to rotella cured it.

I'm running the newer CJ-4 rotella 15w40 and it doesn't have the cold flow issues the CI-4 had IMO...even at temps below zero, I still get oil pressure fairly quick and at least some return flow from my EaBP bypass filter.

I am going to have a oil analysis done on this fill at 10k to see how it looks.

steved

Its nice to see you here steve. I would be really interested in seeing your uoa being your truck has over double the miles that mine does, the newer oil, and you running the amsoil bypass. I did check once and at zero degrees with the block heater plugged in I had flow at start up, took around 5 seconds to see it at the return line from the bypass.

I want to get an idea of whether this newer CJ-4 oil is going to be OK to run on 10k OCIs with a bypass. I'd actually like to go 15k OCIs if I could.

There is so many rumors about CJ-4 being so much worse than CI-4 and rumors about it being so much better than CI-4...I can't get a good feel about it, but it's the only thing I can get around here.

steved

Quote:

I want to get an idea of whether this newer CJ-4 oil is going to be OK to run on 10k OCIs with a bypass. I'd actually like to go 15k OCIs if I could.

There is so many rumors about CJ-4 being so much worse than CI-4 and rumors about it being so much better than CI-4...I can't get a good feel about it, but it's the only thing I can get around here.

steved

Steve,

If I remember correctly the new CJ-4 formulation of the Rotella has a TBN of 10, which is high for a CJ-4 formulation. I've compared VOA's of the CI-4+ and CJ-4 rotella oils and they aren't that different.

The only way to be able to tell how far you can stretch your OCI is with UOA's. I have a feeling with a bypass filter and no outside contamination that 15K intervals will be easily attainable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back