2003 Dodge Sprinter 11,964 miles on Mobil 1 0W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the first oil analysis for this 2.7l turbodiesel. We use only OEM filters from the Dodge dealer, OEM air filter was changed last oil change at 100,012. Mobil 1 0W40, oil and fuel filter were changed every 10,000 miles. We do use Amsoil Cetane booster and B20 when temperature permits. Sample was drawn from cold engine with a new Amsoil sampling pump. Results below;
Miles on motor: 111,972
Miles on oil: 11,964
Iron: 30
Chromium: 3
Lead: 0
Copper: 2
TIn: 0
Aluminum: 119
Nickel: 0
Silver: 0
Silicon: 13
Boron: 160
Sodium: 0
Magnesium: 24
Calcium: 2970
Barium: 0
Phosphorus: 920
Zinc: 1048
Molybdenum: 69
Titanium: 0
Vanadium: 0
Potassium: 0
Fuel(%vol) VIS@100 cSt: 13.61
Soot/solids (% weight): 0.4
Coolant: no
TBN: 9.12
OXID: N/A
NITR: N/A
E-Soot: 0.43
Change: Yes

Summary: Abnormal Aluminum wear.

Engine is filled with Amsoil 5W30HDD with OEM filters and will test oil at next 5,000 miles and 10,000 miles. We are also looking at Castrol Elixion 5W30, Schaeffers 9000 5W40 amd Rotella T synthetic 5W40. I greatly appreciate any input.

Aluminum is the only thing I'd be worried about. Silicon is not really all that high, so I don't know what to tell you to look for. I'm not an expert on all of this, but something is telling me that perhaps the Mobil 1 0w-40 wasn't the best choice for this engine. I say that because it is known to shear to a 30 weight oil then rethicken to a 40 weight, and I'm not sure how well it holds up in diesel engines with this shearing. According to Oil Analyzers, aluminum can (depending on the manufacturer) come from pistons and turbochargers (as well as a few other components), so perhaps the shearing effect led to more wear in those areas.

The Amsoil Series 3000 5w-30, while still a 30 weight, is designed for diesel engines. Mobil Delvac 1 5w-40 has been said to be a good recommendation, as it is a heavy duty diesel oil and it is far more shear stable than the 0w-40.

I'm no expert, hopefully others will chime in and help out, but the other numbers look great for 11,000 miles.

Post up the UOAs of the Amsoil 5w-30 when you get them, it'll be good to compare them.

Mobil 1 0W40 is the recommended oil for this engine. I agree with you that there are better oils, so that's why we are trying the 5W30 HDD. Thanks for the input.

How much make-up?

What is the sump capacity?

Pretty amazing the TBN is still so high. That is why I am wondering about the make-up and sump size...

What I would do at this point is the following:

Sample oil before the filter change.
Sample the oil about 10 minutes after engine is shut down.
Stop any fuel additives.
Since your using Amsoil this round, have Oil Analyzers do the testing which will include Oxid&Nit.
Sample at 10K

The Aluminum looks to be a typo, or lab error. I'd call them up and have them re-test this sample.

Everything else looks fine and the soot level is low, so you could go to an even longer OCI if you so desired. Diesel engines now running ULSD fuel or biodiesel tend to have excellent TBN retention, as is the case here.

The Amsoil Series 3000 is about the same thickness as the M1, 0w-40 in terms of high temp, high shear (HT/HS) viscosity. So I'd expect to see a similar wear pattern....

TD

the Al number is strange - it may be a fluke. This may be left over in a new engine. IF it stanys high that is one ruff cut piston. But you would think the Fe would have corresponded.

Guys:

No make oil
Filter and oil is @10 quarts, assume another quart or 2 in cooler and lines.
Forgot to mention that the EGR is leaking (common on 2002 and 2003 engines)
According to the Yahoo Sprinter group, these engines show Al in oil analysis.
Will sample at 5,000 miles and see what it shows. At end of 10,000 mile will change the oil and filter, remove the EGR and clean it.

Thanks!

Reviewing the Yahoo group I came up with some oil analysis results. Average Al is @35.

When I get the oil analysis for the 5W30HDD I will also include the Yahoo group oil analysis results.

Maybe sampling error.

the Mobil 1 is shearing in this application with the high miles OCI.
switch to Rotella T Synthetic, run for 2 6k OCIs and test again
filter change each oil change

or try the Shaeffers Supreme 9000 full synthetic HDEO
http://www.schaefferoil.com/supreme_9000.html

the esters from B20 can cause extra cleaning and skew the metals reading

send the samples to Dyson
Terry is the best for detailed in depth lube troubleshooting
http://www.dysonanalysis.com/

if you send to Terry contact by email first, he'll probably have you sample after the first 6k OCI and be sure to send all old tests and oil change service history to him along with oil sample

stick with the 5w40 HDEO for your cold climates and that high tech engine

B20 is 20% biodiesel mixed with 80% petroleum diesel. This is probably the most commonly found biodeisel at the pump. There are several other blends common a the pump, B50 and B99. I've been running a lot of B99, 99% bio 1% regular dinosaurs.

Miles on motor: 117,542
Miles on oil: 6343
Iron: 31
Chromium: 3
Lead: 0
Copper: 1
Tin: 0
Aluminum: 67
Nickel: 0
Silver: 0
Silicon: 17
Boron: 23
Sodium: 0
Magnesium: 22
Calcium: 3536
Barium: 0
Phosphorus: 1235
Zinc: 14958
Molybdenum: 12
Titanium: 0
Vanadium: 0
Potassium: 0
Fuel(%vol) VIS@100 cSt: 11.37
Soot/solids (% weight): 0.1
Coolant: no
TBN: 10.25
OXID: 5.0
NITR: 8.0
F-Soot: 0.10
Change: No

Summary: No corrective action required.

Engine is filled with Amsoil 5W30HDD with OEM filters and will test oil when changed at 10,000 miles.

We will compare to Schaeffers 9000 5W40. I greatly appreciate any input.

That is still a crazy aluminum reading. Have you tried contacting the lab about a possible lab error with aluminum readings?

Just a little more silicone in this sample than the last, but it doesn't seem to be elevating the wear. To be on the safe side, inspect your air filter and the intake assembly for any leaks.

I think TeeDub's prediction was correct, you do have a fairly similar wear pattern. The oil could easily double, if not triple in length.

M1 Euro IMO is not an HDEO oil. I wouldn't bother using it in a diesel. The M1 5w40 would be a better choice.

Al is high. The question is, what components in the engine are manufactured from aluminum and what are the failure points of this engine family?

I would consider a thicker oil and more frequent maintenance. The thinner oil is showing the same Fe/Cr wear with half the mileage on the oil. That is a move in the wrong direction. Use one of Amsoils 15w40 or 5w40 HDEO's.
More frequent OCI's simply to rinse the engine a couple times and to restart the UOA trending process again.

Just sent in the oil for 10K mile analysis. I agree MI 0W40 is not the best application for this engine, although it is recommended by MB.

We changed the oil to Delo 15W40 and added Auto-Rx, then will rinse with Delo and do another analysis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for doing the analysis. Despite Mobil 0W-40 only CF rated it protected better than CI-4+ Amsoil
FE with 0W-40 is aroung 2.5 per 1K
FE with 5W-30 is around 4.9 per 1K
AL is 9.9 per 1K 0W-40
AL is 10.6 per 1K 5W-30
CR almost double with 5W-30 HDD.

Ok take it easy on me, new at this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back