2006 F350 PSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay I'd love to use the Amsoil line. I got the EaO88 filter and intended to get the oil for 25k oil change intervals. It seems as there is now a change and that Amsoil will not go 25k since the API rating will not allow the Ford PSD to go to 25k intervals. The tech guy at Amsoil WASN'T very clear and spoke very little when asked direct questions.

Can I extend my intervals over 10k when using Amsoil filter and oil products? What about 15K? I'm hoping to knock down some of the operating costs of this machine.

I am not a PSD expert on oil but some of the other guys will chime who know a whole lot more than I do about the shearing characteristics of the 6.0 and the fuel diluttion that commoningly occurs with these motors. I assume you will be running the AME HDD 15w40 Amsoil product which should be fine for running 10k miles, but over that someone else will have to give you the okay on it first. Of course they will also tell you to do a oil analysis of the oil and up your inervals as the oia's show good results.

The DEO is more expensive and formulated cj-4 for use in the 07 diesels with particulate filters. The TBN is lower but is said to work well with the older trucks that call for ci-4. Hopefully someone else will chime in say wich oil will work better for you. I am thinking the 15w40 AME will hold its viscosity better with its more robust additive pkg.

HeavyAssault - info on AMSOIL products for your truck can be found at http://www.amsoil.com/scripts/runisa.dll?amsoiloaf:index .

AMSOIL and your manufacturer suggests the following oil types and choices for your truck:

2006 FORD TRUCKS F350 PICKUP 6.0L 8-cyl Engine Code P TurboDiesel

Engine Oil
Grade 1......CI-4+
Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil
SAE 15W-40 Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel and Marine Motor Oil
Synthetic 5W-40 Premium Diesel Oil
Synthetic SAE 30 Diesel Oil
-23 To 32°F......10W-30[1]
-29 To -1°F......5W-30, 5W-40[2]
-29 To -18°F......0W-30[2]
above -12°F......15W-40[3]

1. Ford TSB 05-16-6 states that SAE 10W-40 is acceptable
to use in operating temperatures from -1 °C (31 °F) to
32 °C (90 °F).SAE 10W-40 is the preferred viscosity if the
operating varies from -20 °C (-4 °F) to -1 °C (31 °F).
2. Ford TSB 05-16-6 states that the shown viscosity is
acceptable to use in the shown temperature range.
3. Ford TSB 05-16-6 states that SAE 15W-40 is acceptable
to use in operating TEMPS from -12 °C (11 °F) to
-1 °C (31 °F). SAE 15W-40 is the preferred viscosity if the
operating is above -1 °C (31 °F).

Suggested oil change intervals for AMSOIL products can be found at http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1490.pdf .

So if you are looking for an AMSOIL product to go 25,000 normal miles or 15,000 mile severe miles up to 1 year, then your AMSOIL recommended choices are the 5W30, 15W40 and the SAE 30.

Hope this helps.

I use my truck for work but it isn't towing all the time. I use the "normal" useage thought for my driving habits and service intervals.

The .pdf guide was VERY helpful for showing me what works and what is recommended. The question is WHY would the tech tell me I can't go 25k? The .pdf sure says I can when using the EaO filter and Amsoil.

To be honest I felt the tech guy not to give a hump about my question.

I have gotten a few incorrect or incomplete phone answers from the tech guys before. They may be overworked and under pressure to take all the time necessary for the complete answer. The company is growing so fast, that some techs may be new. If I don't get a good feeling about what they told me, I will dig a bit deeper myself, call back and usually get another tech. I was the 1-800 Shell Answer Man for Solvents so I can relate to the pressures of giving a quick best answer. I have found the best answers come from submitting an email request. I think this way you give them a descriptive question and they can take the time to look up the best answer.

Be sure to understand AMSOIL's definition of Normal and Severe driving. It can be found in the "Product Information and Drain Interval Guide" and states " Normal Service defined as - Personal transportation vehicles frequently traveling greater than 10 miles at a time and not
operating under severe service.
Gasoline Engine Severe Service defined as - Turbo/supercharged engines, commercial or fleet vehicles, excessive engine
idling, first and subsequent use of AMSOIL engine oil in vehicles with more than 100,000 miles, daily short trip driving less
than 10 miles (16km), frequent towing, plowing, hauling or dusty-condition driving.
Diesel Engine Severe Service defined as - Extensive engine idling, daily short trip driving less than 10 miles (16km), frequent
towing, plowing, hauling or dusty-condition driving.

This guide also states "All intervals are for “mechanically sound” equipment defined as - Engines that are in good working condition and
do not, for example, leak oil or consume excessive amounts, are not worn out, do not overheat, do not leak anti-freeze,
and have properly working emission control systems. AMSOIL recommends repairing malfunctioning engines prior to
the installation of AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oils."

I hope this helps.

Well I understand the whole "new guy" thing but it was like I was being blown off when I asked more questions. I have gotten a ton of info from the above post. As I stated I use my truck with a combination of daily driver and heavy pulling. So I fall into the middle somewhere and wanted to make the best decision for the oil interval. With the info I have gotten here I'm going to stick with the above 10k yet under 15K interval. My thoughs are if I can do it at 10k (i.e. before a long trip) I'll change the oil, if I overrun the 10k due to whatever I won't go over 15k.

I have yet to find anything conclusive about the intervals for the 6.0 on this site.

Be forewarned that the 6.0 PSD will shear the hades out of oil (Red Line 15W-40 can withstand the 6.0 PSD). In other words, the 40 weight that went in the truck new will be sheared down to a 30 weight within a couple of thousand miles. The 6.0 is also known for leaky injectors/fuel dilution.....what the fuel does in the crankcase is thin the oil even further.

If you want to use Amsoil I would HIGHLY suggest taking an oil sample at the first 5K interval and seeing what everything looks like. You can tweek your OCI (oil change interval) from there.

I used to own a 6.0 so I'm quite aware of its' nature and what oils perform well in it as I've tested about all of them.

I have a couple of diesel truck shops that are doing 15,000 severe mile oil changes using EaO88 filters and the AMSOIL 5W30 HDD oil and the 15W40 AME diesel oil with the 6.0 PSD's for several customers for a couple of years now and are very satisfied. One is the shop owner.

Quote:

I have a couple of diesel truck shops that are doing 15,000 severe mile oil changes using EaO88 filters and the AMSOIL 5W30 HDD oil and the 15W40 AME diesel oil with the 6.0 PSD's for several customers for a couple of years now and are very satisfied. One is the shop owner.

Has he performed UOA's to see what shape the oil/crankcase is in?

A good oil will resist shearing, but the 6.0 is pretty hard on oil viscosity. I would be more worried about the fuel dilution issues that the 6.0/VT365/VT265 engines have. The problem is you can get an OCI set by using UOA's and find at what point the viscosity really starts taking a hit. You'll have to do frequent UOA's for the fuel dilution because it changes dramatically from OCI to OCI in some cases. You can also have a dry engine that will start showing high fuel dilution almost without warning.

I don't think the 6.0 is a good candidate for extended OCI's in most cases. I wouldn't want to take one past 7500-10000 miles at the most. But I'm conservative, I don't want to create a problem that wasn't there before.

Quote:

Can I extend my intervals over 10k when using Amsoil filter and oil products? What about 15K? I'm hoping to knock down some of the operating costs of this machine.

the 6.0 does not like extended OCI's.

oil is cheap, the 6.0 is not.
nono.gif

for the price of $$$ oil. bypass filters and setup, make up oil, and UOA's, you get my point?

with the fumoto valve an oil change takes like 10 min's.

any heavy towing i would consider you severe service OCI of 5K.

you welcome!

patriot.gif

I also have a 2006 PSD and I think this engine shears oil quickly. I have a VOA and UOA posted and in 3k miles Rotella 5W-40 went from a low/mid 40 weight down to a mid 30 weight. I have all the subsequent oil samples(5K oil change intervals)sitting in my garage , I need to get off my butt and send them off for analysis. I personally don't think this engine is a good candidate for extended drain intervals unless you sample the oil for analysis because of the shearing from the High Pressure Oil Pump and Fuel Dilution Issues. Just my two cents worth.

I have a 2006 PSD that is approaching 10M miles. At this point I will be switching to a synthetic oil. I am considering Red Line 15W-40, Schaeffer 7000 15W-40, Schaeffer 9000 5W-40, or the Mobil 1 turbo diesel oil 5W-40. Do any of these have a performance advantage in high temperature shear resistance?

Thanks for the response. Red Line is hard to find where I am at so I would need to order it. If it is the best, I am all for that!! As you said, the previous post was a positive statement for Red Line. I was hoping to hear that there were others that performed as well (or at least performed acceptably) so I had options for price and availability. I am currently paying $60 for Motorcraft Heavy Duty (20 qts, changing it at 3000 miles) and I will definately be changing to synthetic soon. I can get Schaeffer for about $80 to $90. From Red Line, 20 qts is $170. Hopefully, a search will show me a place to get Red Line at a cheaper price. If others do not hold up as well, the cost is not the main issue for me. I believe the Mobil 1 is apprx the same as the Schaeffer. I am probably not going to go past 7500 miles on OCI, even if I get a bypass filter (which I plan to do). I do not tow yet, but will be towing a 7000 lb travel trailer soon. Again thanks for any and all information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back