Mazda 6 vs. Honda Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

I would not pick one based on reliability. They will both do fine.

Mazda = More sporty and fun to drive.
Accord = More sedate and conservative. Also, more room inside.

Accord: More conservative? Maybe, in external styling. The interior is very, very nicely laid out and contemporary, at least my leather is. I don't know if that's conservative or not.

Sedate? Not in the least! Have you driven the V6? I know the AWD in the Mazda will make a difference in handling, but the Accord V6 is extremely quick and handles very well, too. I'm not saying it's "sportier" than the 6, but it's definitely not sedate and is surprisingly athletic.

Quote:

I wouldn't count reliability in choosing most new cars today. Your chances of getting a bad Honda are just as good as getting a bad Ford.

Oh really? I'm a big Ford fan...always have been. But I've not seen any statistics that support your statement. I'm not knocking Ford...they're my favorite domestic. But I think it's pretty much been established that, generally speaking, Honda quality is a notch above Ford.

No offense intended toward anyone or anything...just basing it on all the different auto reviews, ratings, and statistics I read. In my own experience, however, they're very, very close!

driving.gif

Zoom Zoom is right...despite the rotten reviews written about the MS6's weight and not-so-great handling, I'd love one just for the 274hp and awd.

I'm biased since we own an Accord V-6. We love it, blah, blah, blah. Sit in the back seats of both cars and see what you think.

I'm sure the Mazdaspeed 6 is a whole lotta zoom zoom!
cheers.gif

But despite the awd and 274 hp, the Accord isn't far behind with 246 hp (no awd though) and pretty steady power throughout the torque curve, including high rpm's.

And I want my "zoom zoom" to go 300K miles, like I said. Not saying the Mazda won't do it, but I like my chances better with the Accord. Also, like Cicero said, look at the back seats. To me, the Accord is kind of the best of all worlds: athleticism, performance, comfort and room, style, and reliability.

But that's just me...

coffee.gif

My repair shop works on anything Asian. I like the ones that keep me busy and your chances of paying for my daughter's college bill will be much greater if you buy the Mazda. If I wanted your business down the road when your warranty expired I would tell you to buy the 6.
If you were my friend and you wanted my opinion as to a car that does no one thing perfect but does all things well I would tell you to get the Accord. The engines easily go 300K with normal service. The tranny issues with the 98-02 models have been corrected and Honda demonstrated their willingness to goodwill problems that should not have taken place. I guess if having a hotrod dominates your criteria for a car the 6 has an edge.
I consider both of my Accords to be sporty looking and the 4cyl V-TECH is smooth as glass;very quick for a 4-banger and probably will be running long after I am gone based on my UOAs. My 05 is a 5spd which shifts like glass and gets 36mpg. Niether has had any warranty visits since new. I think it is the best long-term value out right now. If you lease or trade every three years I guess it does not matter about long-term reliability.
As one other poster said;I would buy the Fusion before the 6. Same platform and Ford would give more incentive to buy the Fusion.
twocents.gif
coffee.gif

Quote:

My repair shop works on anything Asian. I like the ones that keep me busy and your chances of paying for my daughter's college bill will be much greater if you buy the Mazda. If I wanted your business down the road when your warranty expired I would tell you to buy the 6.
If you were my friend and you wanted my opinion as to a car that does no one thing perfect but does all things well I would tell you to get the Accord. The engines easily go 300K with normal service. The tranny issues with the 98-02 models have been corrected and Honda demonstrated their willingness to goodwill problems that should not have taken place. I guess if having a hotrod dominates your criteria for a car the 6 has an edge.
I consider both of my Accords to be sporty looking and the 4cyl V-TECH is smooth as glass;very quick for a 4-banger and probably will be running long after I am gone based on my UOAs. My 05 is a 5spd which shifts like glass and gets 36mpg. Niether has had any warranty visits since new. I think it is the best long-term value out right now. If you lease or trade every three years I guess it does not matter about long-term reliability.
As one other poster said;I would buy the Fusion before the 6. Same platform and Ford would give more incentive to buy the Fusion.
twocents.gif
coffee.gif

Gosh Mokanic, you sound like me talking! Thank you for confirming what I was trying to say earlier, that the Accord had a *better* chance of going 300K. Not saying always, but statistically a better chance.

And I too would get the Fusion before the Mazda; heck I almost bought it before I got the Accord.

Have you driven the 3.0L V6 Accord? Very sweet!

Bought a new Acura Legend in 1986 when they 1st came out: 2.5L V6, 5-speed, had about 150hp as I recall... Cloth interior, sunroof, power windows, etc., extra controls for the radio on the dash (vs. on the wheel) MSRP was about $22K as I recall, got ours for under $20. No anti-lock brakes and only a driver's airbag, I think.

This was the 1st attempt by the Japanese mfgr.'s to really try to compete with the European mfgr.'s, Honda=Acura, then Toyota = Lexus & Nissan = Infinity.

Drove it for over a decade (128+K) with only a clutch, Tokico struts, a couple brake jobs, 2 new sets of tires, belts, etc. All normal maintenance, IMHO.. A GREAT car.

The less expensive 2003-6 Accord 4 cylinder has more hp (& torque, I think?) and is actually a hair bigger than my Legend was, better gas mileage, better brakes, better safety equipment, etc. A lot of people think that Hondas are "appliance like" but a good set of tires can really make a difference.

The Mazda6 is a good car but if resale value or truly long-term ownership is in your equation it's hard to argue with a Honda.

Cheers!

One factor to consider is the dealer and support. I have found that in the NYC/Metro area, Honda dealers tend to be the most obnoxious of any car company to deal with. They make you feel like the're doing you a favor by taking your money. Several friends also have had stressful warranty encounters with Honda dealers service departments as well.

I do not know if this is a regional thing, but is enough to make me look elsewhere for my cars on my area. There are alot of great vehicles out there now, and I don't have to worship at the Honda alter.

(FWIW, I now own/have owned Honda motorcycles, and Honda bike dealers are generally the worst compared to the other Japanease brands.)

Drew

Good point, A-U. I can't say from experience about the Mazda dealerships as I've not dealt with any, anywhere. But the Honda dealers around here have been very decent to work with. When I bought my '07, they went out of their way to come up with a good deal when I was ready to walk away several times. But I never felt pressured.

I'm probably wrong about this, but I always have a perception that the Northeast, East Cost, West Coast, big urban areas would be more difficult to deal with, aggressive, shady, etc. Like I said, it's not based on fact...probably just too much TV.
grin.gif

Quote:

Quote:

twocents.gif
coffee.gif

Gosh Mokanic, you sound like me talking! Thank you for confirming what I was trying to say earlier, that the Accord had a *better* chance of going 300K. Not saying always, but statistically a better chance.

And I too would get the Fusion before the Mazda; heck I almost bought it before I got the Accord.

Have you driven the 3.0L V6 Accord? Very sweet!

I'm a closet fan of the Fusion but don't let it slip out. Those that think I desire to see Toyota take over the world would be severely disappointed in my apparent lack of consistancy.
If Ford can take their entire product line in the same direction as the Fusion they will weather the storm and be better becouse of it.
coffee.gif

I have driven several of the V-6 Accords and they are sweet.It has one of the most reliable V-6s made. I personally leaned toward the 4cyl becouse of my boring praticle side that told me it had fewer spark plugs to change;no t-belt to change ect... And 36MPG for a car that size is hard to beat.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:

I have driven several of the V-6 Accords and they are sweet.It has one of the most reliable V-6s made. I personally leaned toward the 4cyl becouse of my boring praticle side that told me it had fewer spark plugs to change;no t-belt to change ect... And 36MPG for a car that size is hard to beat.
thumbsup.gif

Yeah, I completely understand the 4cyl temptation. Heck, that 2.4L is one of the (if not THE) best mass-produced I4's in history! It's about as bulletproof as you can get, and there just aren't many (if any) downsides. Other than the speed/acceleration compared to the V6.

I had one of those debates like the old Frosted Mini Wheats commercial. Remember? "The grown-up in me likes the whole wheat side, (magic twinkle and grown-up changes to little kid in big clothes) but the KID in me likes the frosted side!" Except mine was the 4cyl vs. the 6cyl. Guess which side of "me" won?
laugh.gif

If I was buying new, I'd probably getan Accord if you don't plan on keeping it forever. Resale value alone will make it a cheaper purchase after resale. I'd buy a low mileage Mazda 6 and save a lot of money on a great car. I own both an Accord sedan and 6 wagon. Bought the Honda new and saved over 7 grand on a 10k mi 6 wagon that was less than a year old. Both have been great cars. The 6 is sportier but the steering could use a bit more feel. If you're looking at sedans, the 6 5 door is a great option and the best looking of the bunch with that extra utility.

Quote:

the 6 5 door is a great option and the best looking of the bunch with that extra utility.

Great option? Sure.

Best looking? (How many times has this been said?) Looks are subjective!

Just like taste in food, music, literature, television, movies, etc. ad infinitum. What one person deems "best-looking" someone else deems "ugly". It's just the way it is.

nono.gif
(sigh)

I would say drive them both first.
I was dead set on an accord v6 despite the AT poblems in the past that are supposed to be "fixed" now, but after driving one I changed my mind big time.
1) I couldn't find a comfortabele seating position even with the power seat (I'm 6ft, 180lb)
2) With the 17' wheels it rode very rough, rougher than my '06 altima with Eibach -stiff, lowering springs.
3) Under braking there was an unreall amount of nose dive! I was waiting for the front end to touch the ground when braking half way hard
smile.gif

I'm thinking about an I-4 accord now with 5-spd manual trans. That is the 300k mi car you guys are talking about.

Quote:

Quote:

the 6 5 door is a great option and the best looking of the bunch with that extra utility.

Great option? Sure.

Best looking? (How many times has this been said?) Looks are subjective!

Just like taste in food, music, literature, television, movies, etc. ad infinitum. What one person deems "best-looking" someone else deems "ugly". It's just the way it is.

nono.gif
(sigh)

It's an understood that not everyone will agree and my opinion. Have you got any absolutes to add to this or just opinions about which you prefer. How's that any different? The hatch is also something unique that the Accord doesn't offer and has been refered to in various pubs as the most balanced and hansome. Of course you don't have to agree. I own and like each and am probably less biased than you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back