94' lumina's ABS light coming on

Status
Not open for further replies.
would worn brake pads cause the abs light to come on? I know it's time for pads, just wondering if that's what causing the light? Does that car just have abs in the rear? Thanks in advance for any and all help.

If you have low fluid up top because it's all in the pistons you'll get both ABS and regular "brake" warning lights but possibly not at the same time. I'd expect the "brake" warning first as that reservoir should be higher in the system.

Look at all the electrical plugs and metal lines on the master cylinder; I think you have 3 channel ABS with one channel for both rear wheels.

You can get a scantool to pull codes but usually it's a problem at a wheel speed sensor (covered in salt?) or the wiring leading to it which is very exposed to rocks etc.

thanks eljefino, I'm going out now to put on new pads, I knew I was due those last tire rotation, I'll look everything over good. The salt thing might be the prob, they put it down on the road at the same time that the light came on. Thanks again.

I have a '94 Grand Prix and the first idiot light to come on when my voltage gets low is the ABS light. Over the last 200,000 miles I've had 2 alternators go bad and each time the first sign of trouble was the ABS light. Soon followed by the battery light. ABS wheel speed sensors are also a common problem.

wishihadatruck, we have a '95 grand prix over 200000 miles, very little prob. but now that you mentioned alt's. I've put two or three on the lumina, put never had the abs light come on. It's near zero here in southern west viginia, I'm going to wait til it's warmer and spray the salt residue off, the new brake pads today made no difference.

When installing new pads you should have pulled rotors and cleaned speed sensors. Very good chance that's problem and calipers and rotors must come off to get to them.

Bob

hey Bob, I thought of that right after I test drove it, I was hoping the new pads would solve the prob, oh well, live and learn. What would having the codes read show me? anything? '94's are obd1 aren't they? thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back