Super Bowl Sunday Oil Chage - Crushed Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeap, 0*F outside and I just had one heck of an OC and NAPA is closed. As the title says, my last filter (Gold 1356)was somehow crushed a bit (I've had this batch about 6 months so who knows if it came this way). I don't think the enplates are damaged, but the element is certainly being squized by the can. I had no choice but to put it on and it's not leaking (at least in the 5 minutes I ran the engine).

Keep it for a while until I get a new filter or park it change the filter ASAP?

Go Bears!

A dented filter is much more likely to leak over time. The cold oil and high oil pressure tomorrow morning might pop it back into shape, but it may also pop a leak in it too.

Enjoy the game, but change the filter soon and keep an eye on it until you do. Is WalMart open?

Go Packers! . . . wait a minute! . . . that's next year.

I crunched the can of my filter a little while trying to tighten it on. That was in... May? June? No problems since. Definitely keep an eye on it for the first little while, but if it stays OK I'd leave it on. But then I'm a cheapskate.

Get a new one...I did that once and the filter leaked after about a week...probably was leaking from the start but I didn't notice the oil streaks all over my garage & driveway for several days. Didn't hurt the engine but was a super b*tch to clean up in the Spring.

I put a filter that had a small dent in it, on my car because it was late and I had to go to work in the morning. I bought a new filter and when I replaced the dented filter the dent was not there. I changed it anyhow and NAPA replaced it for no charge. Now I open every filter and take a close look. Live and learn.

The problem with a dent is the potential for flexing. If you had wide swings in pressure (which most of us do - but not in too short a time frame) ..the dimple could turn into a clicker. Eventually the metal can fatigue and split.

That being said ..in my ignorance of the situation/condition ..I've used dented filters a few times without issue. Now I'm too old not to know about such things ..so I'm not covered. With lack of ignorance ..I have no excuse
dunno.gif
Surely it would happen.

Quote:

I put a filter that had a small dent in it, on my car because it was late and I had to go to work in the morning. I bought a new filter and when I replaced the dented filter the dent was not there. I changed it anyhow and NAPA replaced it for no charge. Now I open every filter and take a close look. Live and learn.

So do I. I used to have a friend whom I was going to change his oil for him and some nitwit had switched the (then) Kmart branded filter for a Fram. IE switched the filters, so we ended up with a Fram box and Kmart filter. That was when I liked Fram (20 years ago). I also found dents in a couple Wix filters once at a decent hardware store, so I am certainly glad I check.
smile.gif
I ended up getting a Federated filter instead that day.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Gary you make a great point; I'll stop at NAPA on my way home. So far so good, no leaks and I know it worked at very high pressure last night as we licked our wounds coming back from the Super Bowl party we went.

OT - Congrats Colts fans, the Colts were the best team out there last night.

Thanks for the link. In the grand scheme of things, I rather replace the filter than the engine.
crushedcar.gif

Update: The Wix filter is out and in is a $10 FRAM filter (ouch!). I had no choice since I ran out of time and my wife has an audit today about 125 miles away and they're expecting 3-5 inches of snow. As some of you stated, the can was popped out by the pressure in the few miles (less than 20) on it, so there was a good possibility of it becoming a "clicker."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back