A kudo for Discount Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday morning I went out to do my errands and I see a screw-head sticking out of one of the rear tires on my Malibu, about a 1/2" from the edge of the tire...the tires are OEM with 50,000 miles on them and should be changed soon anyway, and I knew that this is going to be "not repairable" so I figure I'd better go tire-shopping. I'd been looking for a while (once I decided I was going to keep the car) so I had kind of settled on a set of Kumho 732 Touring Plus tires (215/60-15) from Discount Tires but was waiting for the right time...and I guess this was it.
laugh.gif
Called the local Discount Tire to make sure they had them in stock and headed out.

Got to the store about 11AM, on a Saturday, place is full of people, and was told it would be between an hour and an hour-fifteen, so I fired up the laptop and started working on some things the boss wants to see Monday morning.

62 minutes later the car is done. I don't know how well I'll like the tires (they've received good reviews overall from what I've seen) but I loved the service.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:

Yesterday morning I went out to do my errands and I see a screw-head sticking out of one of the rear tires on my Malibu, about a 1/2" from the edge of the tire...the tires are OEM with 50,000 miles on them and should be changed soon anyway, and I knew that this is going to be "not repairable" so I figure I'd better go tire-shopping. I'd been looking for a while (once I decided I was going to keep the car) so I had kind of settled on a set of Kumho 732 Touring Plus tires (215/60-15) from Discount Tires but was waiting for the right time...and I guess this was it.
laugh.gif
Called the local Discount Tire to make sure they had them in stock and headed out.

Got to the store about 11AM, on a Saturday, place is full of people, and was told it would be between an hour and an hour-fifteen, so I fired up the laptop and started working on some things the boss wants to see Monday morning.

62 minutes later the car is done. I don't know how well I'll like the tires (they've received good reviews overall from what I've seen) but I loved the service.
thumbsup.gif

cool.gif
I really wish they would open some stores in my area!!

I agree I have always been treated very well by them. They have plugged leaks for me for free, even when I did not buy the tires from them.
ooo.gif
Can't get that anywhere else around here.

Last edited:
opus1 - Please let us know how you like the Kumho 732 Touring Plus tires. I have been considering them for my 2002 Impala.

Put a set of 732 Touring Plus on my Moms Olds 88 (P225/60-R-16) a couple months ago. GREAT tires. In really deep snow my mom got stuck, but anything short of dedicated snows would have stranded the vehicle. They ride and handle really nice says my Dad; parents have taken two long trips with these tires already.

Personally, I'd look more at the HP4-716 Solus; better performing tire for the same money.

I've had pretty decent service at discount tire, except when they play dumb about their #@$%! tires. Stay away from their Arizonians.

None around here (NE Ohio). Only ones listed for OH is Toledo, Dayton, Lancaster, and Columbus. If I have to stay in Ohio I seriously would consider moving to Toledo, as that town has alot of choices when it comes to parts stores as I saw when we went up to my father in laws in January for Phantom Of The Opera. What does my tiny little town do when it comes to parts stores? They let Napa stay, have a no name local owner stay, and refuse to let AZ come in though they had no problem letting Hardees, Drug Mart, and Rite Aid come in and tear buildings down for their places. Morons.
bop.gif

I like Discount Tire overall. As a matter of fact I just bouhgt my second set of Falkens from them. One thing bugs me tho.

I replaced my stock Continentals 215/45-17, 33 psi, load rating of 1201, max pressure 51 lbs. with my first set of Falken Ziex ZE 512s 225/45-17, load rating 1477, max pressure 50 lbs. They sent me off with instructions to keep them at 35 psi, which I did religiously.

Now with my second set of the exact same tire they tell me 30 psi is the correct pressure. Even after calling them on this they didn't sound to certain. So, now I don't know what the correct pressure is!
dunno.gif

Quote:

I replaced my stock Continentals 215/45-17, 33 psi, load rating of 1201, max pressure 51 lbs. with my first set of Falken Ziex ZE 512s 225/45-17, load rating 1477, max pressure 50 lbs. They sent me off with instructions to keep them at 35 psi, which I did religiously.

Now with my second set of the exact same tire they tell me 30 psi is the correct pressure. Even after calling them on this they didn't sound to certain. So, now I don't know what the correct pressure is!
dunno.gif

Since the new tires hold a slightly greater volume of air than the stock ones did, I would say keep the pressure ~30-32psi. YMMV

I've used Discount Tires for years and have nothing but good things to say about them.

I agree that their service is good. I got a puncture in the sidewall on a set of tires I got from them with 35k on them. They offered my wife one free tire. She told them that I didn't want to just replace one when the set was mostly worn so to give her 4 new ones. They then gave her one free tire and an adjustment on the other three. I got four new tires very cheap.

Quote:

She told them that I didn't want to just replace one when the set was mostly worn so to give her 4 new ones.

GIVE her 4 new ones?
laugh.gif

Quote:

They then gave her one free tire and an adjustment on the other three. I got four new tires very cheap

A very fair and reasonable offer from them. That's another example of good customer service.

I have had poor service from them and avoid them like the plague. If I were to buy tires from them I would carry them out and take them to walmart to have them mounted.

It really depends on the people working there. I've seen some crews that I wouldn't trust my car to... probably ex-felons. Other crews do a good job with customer satisfaction.

I retract my earlier statement. I must not have read closely - it is BIG O tires that I will never go back to again. Disount tires I have not done business with. However, I have a car that has their house brand of tires on it and they are junk.

I saw the title of this thread and realized that I was supposed to get back with some sort of review.
blush.gif
Sorry about the delay, work was "heck" from March through June due to auditing deadlines.....

Anyway, my overall impression of the tires is that they were a good buy. The Malibu is mainly used for my drive to and from the train station, so I wasn't looking for anything too expensive. Since February I've put about 3500 miles on them, mostly city driving but a decent amount of highway miles, probably a 65-city/35-highway split. Road noise seems to be less than with the OEM Firestones and dry traction seems to be good, but that could be because the old tires were just plain worn out.
wink.gif
No problems in the rain either.

My only complaint so far is that sometime towards the end of February or beginning of March, we got a really heavy, wet snow, almost more slush than snow. It seems like the tires didn't handle this very well, but in all fairness, it was an unusual type of snow for the area, so I'm not sure how other tires would have fared.

One thing that surprised me was that the tires, despite a Korean name, are made in China. I know, what isn't nowdays
smirk.gif
. So if this is a consideration for anyone, forewarned is forearmed.

Overall, no regrets. I wanted a reasonably-priced tire with some sort of name-brand and that's what I got.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back