rotella 5w40 synthetic in drag engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

hello

Whats the matter? Rotella's website not listening to you anymore? Rotella 5W40 is no better of an oil on here than it was on that site so cool it and don't expect people to jump as soon as you enter a post.
nono.gif

(visions of Biff as he tried to con George McFly about finishing the 2nd coat of wax on his Bimmer instead of starting the 2nd coat of wax)

Oh ..sorry for the wait, Mr. racer3777
grin.gif

RTS is a pretty bulletproof oil imo. Holds visc well in extreme condtions ..outstanding deposit control.

Outside of stock turbo alloy, I think you're the first that I've heard of using it in a hi-per modified engine. I'm sure someone's using it. In the Slowskys domestic iron that I drive ..it's performed well in terms of long drains with good TBN retention and holding visc.

I'm sure someone will add more of what you're looking for

welcome.gif

Shell's synthetic's are reportedly being reformulated, like the non-syn Rotella T, and coming out in early 2007. Go to the Canadian Rotella T for the most info.

Quote:

New Here boy thats a real nice way to greet someone.
rugerman.gif
spankme.gif

You didn't answer my question. Did Rotella's site close down becouse they had enough of your rude and impolite manner of speaking to others? There are many here that kinda appreciate a little repsect. Try it, it won't hurt a bit.
thumbsup.gif

How about some info on the engine first? Main, rod, piston clearances, crank journal finishes, piston/ring type and gaps, CR, head mods, valvetrain specifics such as roller/flat, spring pressures, oil pump/cooler mods, etc, etc.

Next some info on the application and current running parameters such as oil pressure/temps under various typical conditions.

And if Nickens is a professional engine builder, why not ask him what he recommends?

If this is a dedicated drag racing engine, 5W40 is way too thick and is robbing you of several hp. I would use Neo Synthetic High Performance Motor Oil in 0W5 weight.

What oil do you think I ought to run.Got the rotella 5-40 carry 70 psi @ idle 120 @ 9000 got external oil pump.To seat the rings used 10-40 pennzoil yellow Had 80 psi @ idle 130 @ 9000 loss a little pressure.To me the 5-40 rotolla semms very thin plus lost a little pressure.I,am not worried about 2-3 horse want good lube MUST KEEP ENGINE ALIVE and price don't care.But I do believe shell-pennzoil make good oils, which weight of PP is good for this? thanks

You have 120 lbs of oil pressure and you're worried it came down from 130???

GOOD LORD. Oil pressure that high probably means a lot of oil flow is going right back to the oil pan through the bypass.

Insanely high oil pressure is not in and of itself what you want. Good oil pressure and FULL FLOW is way more important.

Solid lifter, 9,000 rpm drag engine? STAY AWAY from any passenger car oil like Pennzoil Platinum.

I'd consider Joe Gibbs XP-1 5w-20 if the clearances of your engine are tight enough. If it can handle 500 miles of 9,000 plus rpm on the high banks, it won't even begin to be abused in a drag engine. Heck, Joe Gibbs recommends their 0w-5 XP-0 for professional drag racing like Pro Stock, since they don't really get that terribly hot. Does your motor have a cooling system?

Thanks for the reply.Our engine has to carry at least 100 psi@9000. Buick v6s stage 2s have a oil route issue at the #2 main and rod area.I don't mind losing 10 psi but I thot we would pick up not lose with the rts.Steve schmidt is in our area he now is a gibbs dealer,I know steve would not sell or use a bad product.I.ll give him a call. Thanks
cheers.gif
cheers.gif

Staying with the 5-40 rotella.Talked to my engine builder and 2 others they all said It,s hard to beat.Thanks you all going racing see ya next year.
banana.gif

Drag racing requires the highest resistance to chemical shear. Dampening is usually required and for sudden high load and high rpm work. Chemical shear is needed to resist cylinder wall washout and high fuel dilution.

Redline has about the best grasp on these needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back